Feminism - Women Wearing Revealing Clothes

Topic locked
Nov 05, 2006
Mema, I have never said that women who cover up are not smart or outspoken. Also, I am not sure why you think I can't accept that some women want to cover up. As I said, I FEEL THAT A WOMAN SHOULD BE ABLE TO WEAR WHAT SHE WANTS.

I respect if a woman wants to cover up, but I personally don't think it is necessary to do so. We all know that dressing more modestly is more tasteful and helps prevent too much attention coming your way, but the main issue is with men's behaviour in the end, because they can and do still harass and abuse modestly dressed women. Believe me, I know that covered women have plenty of opinions on uncovered women's dress, and those opinions aren't pretty. Perhaps they need a little more understanding as well?

Interesting that hardly any men wanted to comment here. You guys didn't want to say anything that sheds some light on men's views of women in various states of dress?

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 05, 2006
kanelli wrote:Mema, I have never said that women who cover up are not smart or outspoken. Also, I am not sure why you think I can't accept that some women want to cover up. As I said, I FEEL THAT A WOMAN SHOULD BE ABLE TO WEAR WHAT SHE WANTS.

I respect if a woman wants to cover up, but I personally don't think it is necessary to do so. We all know that dressing more modestly is more tasteful and helps prevent too much attention coming your way, but the main issue is with men's behaviour in the end, because they can and do still harass and abuse modestly dressed women. Believe me, I know that covered women have plenty of opinions on uncovered women's dress, and those opinions aren't pretty. Perhaps they need a little more understanding as well?

Interesting that hardly any men wanted to comment here. You guys didn't want to say anything that sheds some light on men's views of women in various states of dress?

i have some views on this.
i have no opinion on how a woman dresses, its no skin off my nose.

i will respect them for their choice.
If i was given an absolute choice to make of the 2, modest or not so..i would choose modest quite simply because i find it more attractive.But doesnt mean my attitude is different to the "not - so" modest.

Fashion can be crazy, often provocative for some. But as you say, some balanced views are required as many people have strong attitudes towards "not - so" modest dressing, often labelling them as cheap. Equally many women with "not-so" modest dress senses have strong views on the modest ones, often labelling them as oppressed, or even backward.

So you can never satisfy everyone.

Choice should be respected. Dress sense doesnt represent intelligence. There are often underlying reasons why someone chooses to dress the way they do.
rvp_legend
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums