Are Men Really Smarter Than Women?

Topic locked
Are men really smarter than women? Feb 16, 2006
just to let u know this subject is very close to my heart so i wanted to share
my thoughts with u and know what u think about em....

are men smarter than women? tough question isnt?

but after all in reality males have been dominating women in every aspects of life and all great scientists have been men i mean we could not find a women
that could be compared to Albert Einstein or noten not even close..and
right now if u look at top 50 scientists in the world u will find few women
that come at the end of the list.. and nowadays men have been dominating nearly everything (medicine,air space etc..) why?

"one top prof at cambridge university once said that women are just as smart as men but they are not creative they cannot apply what they
konw to life and only males can do that.." ( well sounds weak isnt it)

Now other people argue that men and women have the same ability
to be smart and creative but the reason that we do not see women
competing with men comes from what they refer to as "Masculine Hegemony"
it means that in our society men have the power to contol women (it can
be political or even military power) so they claim that men really are preventing women from being competitve, women can do as well as men
but men are holding them from doing that..( i tend to lean to this)

i mean why do not campare men to men,, it obvious that all great scientists
have been white (westrens) why do not we see for example an arab man
competing with west (very rare).. does that mean that eastern men are not
smart or creative i dont think so.. i think again this is because of the domaince of the "white elite" they do not want us to be like them they r
holding us back just as men holding women...and if u take a recent issue
which is the issue of Iran the white do not want iran to grow they see it
as a danger now iran is having nuclear power then they will be advanced
and they might reach western in some time.. so that is why the white is
making up all these excuses of iran being terrorists and a danger to the whole world they say they r gonna kill women childern...telln the world plz hold them back (exactly!)

Final saying:
So we are not really stupid rather we r not powerfull enough to defeat
westrens' dominance and that really what is holing us from being as
advanced as they are.

sorry this might be too much but i am really interested in this so excuse me.

Waiting for ur thoughts.

Hiya
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2006
Hiya said, "the domaince of the "white elite" they do not want us to be like them they r
holding us back just as men holding women..."

Yeah, yeah, white people always get the blame. :roll:

Hiya said, "and if u take a recent issue
making up all these excuses of iran being terrorists and a danger to the whole world they say they r gonna kill women childern...telln the world plz hold them back (exactly!)"

This is a completely ignorant statement. Yeah, the WHITE PEOPLE don't want Iran to have nukes. Have you considered that maybe Iran would love to blow Israel or the US off the face of the earth if they did obtain nukes? How about the fact that Iran could use oil as a weapon against the West - so maybe money is the reason they would want to act against Iran (which is not a good reason.) WHITE skin colour has nothing to do with it.

If you are really interested in whether men are smarter than women you could read up on some studies. I quickly dug up one news article reporting on a study (which is not like reading the study yourself, of course!) 'Men cleverer than women' claim - From BBC - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4183166.stm

Personally, I think there is more to intelligence than just IQ. There is also the fact that after puberty many girls end up focusing on beauty and attracting a male rather than developing their brains. Finally, many women stay home with children, so that should not be used to say that they aren't intelligent, based on a perception of lower achievement. There are many factors involved in the issue.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 16, 2006
I thought this was a good post until all the rubbish about 'west' or 'whites' vs arabs - what's up with that?

With the whole Iran thing, have you ever stopped to think that maybe the guy in power is a complete looney? Who is completely anti-west, anti-Israel and the thought of him having nuclear capabilities is a very frightening prospect?

Women are just as smart as men, we just let the guys think they're better to massage their egos.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 16, 2006
The West owes itas current prosperity to NON-WHITE cultures.

Arabs invented modern astronomy, astrology, mathematics (algebra), basis for modern medicine, and the list is endless.

The west learnt of perfumes from the Arabs and the Indians.

The west learnt of the existance of gunpowder from the Chinese and ran into another version from the Arabs.

The West should get off its high horse and realize that it is nothing if not for its domineering conquests of the East. Conquests that continue to this day.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 16, 2006
Blah blah blah. How tedious it all gets. :roll:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 16, 2006
Big yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

:roll: :roll:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 16, 2006
Let's just stop all this rubbish and get one thing clear - the world would be nothing without Scottish inventions!! Name a country that has contributed more to the developed world!! :wink:

the steam engine,
the bicycle,
tarmacadam roads,
the telephone,
television,
the transistor,
the motion picture,
penicillin,
electromagnetics,
radar,
insulin
and calculus

..to name but a few...I rest my case! 8)
G
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 16, 2006
And not forgetting

Haggis
Petticoat Tail Shorties mmmmmmmmmmmm
Glenfiddich

8)
arniegang

Feb 16, 2006
G wrote:Let's just stop all this rubbish and get one thing clear - the world would be nothing without Scottish inventions!! Name a country that has contributed more to the developed world!! :wink:
radar,

AHHHH HAAAA so you're the bastard that is to blame for me paying AED 1000 in tickets last week to register my car :P :P
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 16, 2006
G wrote:Let's just stop all this rubbish and get one thing clear - the world would be nothing without Scottish inventions!! Name a country that has contributed more to the developed world!! :wink:

the steam engine,
the bicycle,
tarmacadam roads,
the telephone,
television,
the transistor,
the motion picture,
penicillin,
electromagnetics,
radar,
insulin
and calculus

Hey, Penicillin was invented by a Canadian. We also invented Basketball, Hockey, and the Canadarm!

Here's an even bigger list (from http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa090100a.htm)

Canadian Inventions
Only a small percentage of the great inventions invented by Canadian inventors are listed below.

5 Pin Bowling ...a truly Canadian sport invented by T.E. Ryan of Toronto in 1909

Able Walker ...the walker was patented by Norm Rolston in 1986

Access Bar ...patented food bar designed to help burn fat by Dr Larry Wang

Air-Conditioned Railway Coach ...invented by Henry Ruttan in 1858

Abdominizer ...the infomercial exercise darling invented by Dennis Colonello in 1984

AC Radio Tube ..invented by Edward Samuels Rogers in 1925

Acetylene ...Thomas L. Wilson invented the production process in 1892

Acetylene Buoy ...invented by Thomas L. Wilson in 1904

Agrifoam Crop Cold Protector ...co-invented in 1967 by D. Siminovitch & J. W. Butler

Analytical Plotter ...a 3d map making system invented by Uno Vilho Helava in 1957

Andromonon ...a 3 wheeled vehicle invented in 1851 by Thomas Turnbull

Anti-Gravity Suit ...invented by Wilbur Rounding Franks in 1941, a suit for high altitude jet pilots

Automatic Foghorn ...the first steam foghorn was invented by Robert Foulis in 1859

Automatic Machinery Lubricator ...one of the many inventions invented by Elijah McCoy, the "Real McCoy"

Automatic Postal Sorter ...in 1957, Maurice Levy invented a postal sorter that could handle 200,000 letters an hour

Basketball ...invented by James Naismith in 1891

Bone Marrow Compatibility Test ...invented by Barbara Bain in 1960

Bromine ...a process to extract was invented by Herbert Henry Dow in 1890

Calcium Carbide ...in 1892, Thomas Leopold Willson invented a process for Calcium Carbide

Canada Dry Ginger Ale ...invented in 1907 by John A. McLaughlin

Chocolate Nut Bar ...Arthur Ganong made the first nickel bar in 1910

Computerized Braille ...invented by Roland Galarneau in 1972

Creed Telegraph System ..in 1900, Fredrick Creed invented a way to convert Morse Code to text

Compound Steam Engine ...invented by Benjamin Franklin Tibbetts in 1842

CPR Mannequin ...invented by Dianne Croteau in 1989.

Electric Car Heater ...Thomas Ahearn invented the first electric car heater in 1890

Electric Cooking Range ...Thomas Ahearn invented the first in 1882

Electric Light Bulb ...Henry Woodward invented the electric light bulb in 1874 and sold the patent to Thomas Edison

Electron Microscope ...Eli Franklin Burton, Cecil Hall, James Hillier, Albert Prebus co-invented the electron microscope in 1937

Electric Organ ...Morse Robb of Belleville, Ontario, patented the world's first electric organ in 1928

Electric Streetcar - Invented by John Joseph Wright in 1883

Fathometer ...An early form of sonar invented by Reginald A. Fessenden in 1919

Film Colourization ...invented by Wilson Markle in 1983

Garbage Bag ...(polyethylene) invented by Harry Wasylyk in 1950

Goalie Mask ...invented by Jaques Plante in 1960

Gramophone ...co-invented by Alexander Graham Bell & Emile Berliner in 1889

Green Ink ...currency or greenbacks ink invented by Thomas Sterry Hunt in 1862

Half-tone Engraving ...co-invented by Georges Edouard Desbarats & William Augustus Leggo in 1869

Heart Pacemaker ...invented by Dr. John A. Hopps in 1950

Hydrofoil Boats ...co-invented by Alexander Graham Bell, & Casey Baldwin in 1908

IMax Movie System ...co-invented in 1968 by Grahame Ferguson, Roman Kroitor and Robert Kerr

Instant Mashed Potatoes ...dehydrated potato flakes were invented by Edward A. Asselbergs, in 1962

Insulin Process ...Fredrick Banting, J. J. Macleod, Charles Best and Collip invented the process for insulin in 1922

JAVA ...a programming language invented by James Gosling in 1994

Jetliner ...the first jetliner was designed by James Floyd in 1949

Jolly Jumper ...a baby's delight invented by Olivia Poole in 1959

Kerosene ...invented by Doctor Abraham Gesner in 1846

Lawn Sprinkler ...another invention made by the Real McCoy

Light Bulb Leads ..leads made of nickel & iron alloy were invented by Reginald A. Fessenden in 1892

Marquis Wheat ...invented by Sir Charles E. Saunders in 1908

Mcintosh Apple ...invented by John McIntosh in 1796

Music Synthesizer ...invented by Hugh Le Caine in 1945

Newsprint ...invented by Charles Fenerty in 1838

Odometer ...invented by Samuel McKeen in 1854

Paint Roller ...invented by Norman Breakey of Toronto in 1940

Plexiglas ...(Polymerized Methyl Methacrylate) invented by William Chalmers in 1931

Polypump Liquid Dispenser ...Harold Humphrey made pumpable liquid hand soap possible in 1972

Portable Film Developing System ...invented by Arthur Williams McCurdy in 1890, but he foolishly sold the patent to George Eastman in 1903

Potato Digger ...invented by Alexander Anderson in 1856

Process to Extract Helium from Natural Gas ...invented by Sir John Cunningham McLennan in 1915

Prosthetic Hand ...an electric prosthetic invented by Helmut Lucas in 1971

Quartz Clock ...Warren Marrison developed the first quartz clock

R-Theta Navigation System ...invented by J.E.G. Wright in 1958

Radio-Transmitted Voice ...invented by Reginald A. Fessenden in 1904

Railway Car Brake ...invented by George B. Dorey in 1913

Railway Sleeper Car ...invented by Samuel Sharp in 1857

Robertson Screw ...invented by Peter L. Robertson in 1908

Rotary Blow Molding Machine ...this plastic bottle maker was invented by Gustave Côté in 1966

Rotary Railroad Snowplow ...invented by J.E. Elliott in 1869

Rubber Shoe Heels ...Elijah McCoy patented an important iimprovement to rubber heels in 1879

Safety Paint ...a high reflectivity paint invented by Neil Harpham in 1974

Screw Propeller ...a ship's propeller invented by John Patch in 1833

Silicon Chip Blood Analyzer ...invented by Imants Lauks in 1986

SlickLicker ...made for cleaning oil spills, patented by Richard Sewell in 1970

Snowblower ...invented by Arthur Sicard in 1925

Snowmobile ...invented by Joseph-Armand Bombardier in 1922

Standard Time ...invented by Sir Sanford Fleming in 1878

Stereo-orthography Map Making System ...invented by T.J. Blachut, Stanley Collins in 1965

Superphosphate Fertilizer ...invented by Thomas L. Wilson in 1896

Synthetic Sucrose ...invented by Dr. Raymond Lemieux in 1953

Television ...Reginald A. Fessenden patented a television system in 1927

Television Camera ...invented by F. C. P. Henroteau in 1934

Telephone ..invented by Alexander Graham Bell in 1876

Telephone Handset ...invented by Cyril Duquet in 1878

Tone-to-Pulse Converter ...invented by Michael Cowpland in 1974

Trivial Pursuit ...invented on December 15, 1979 by Chris Haney and Scott Abbott

Tuck-Away-Handle Beer Carton ...invented by Steve Pasjac in 1957

Undersea Telegraph Cable ...invented by Fredrick Newton Gisborne in 1857

UV-degradable Plastics ...invented by Dr. James Guillet in 1971

Variable Pitch Aircraft Propeller ...invented by Walter Rupert Turnbull in 1922

Walkie-Talkie ...invented by Donald L. Hings in 1942

Wireless Radio ...invented by Reginald A. Fessenden in 1900

Wirephoto ...Edward Samuels Rogers invented the first in 1925

Zipper ...invented by Gideon Sundback in 1913

:wink:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 16, 2006
Fayz, I think that's a totally different radar he's talking about. The ones that give out ka signals here can be credited to Neltronics - Aussie, aussie, aussie, oi! oi! oi!
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 16, 2006
and the longest post of the week award goes tooooooooooo

K

:lol: :lol:
arniegang

Feb 16, 2006
not to jack this thread but do you know what frequency in the KA band is used here? I don't believe there are and X, K or Laser traps/cameras here are there?
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 16, 2006
Yes Arnie, I wanted to assert Canadian World Domination :wink:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 16, 2006
Dont't know if this help Fayz, but i think the camera's on SZR are Gatso's.

I will see what i can find here, we are well into laser dectection in the UK.
arniegang

Feb 16, 2006
kanelli wrote:Yes Arnie, I wanted to assert Canadian World Domination :wink:

:P :P
arniegang

Feb 16, 2006
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 16, 2006
the less people that have nukes the better.... but wouldn't it make an awsome suicide bomb. you wouldn't strap the bomb to you, you'd be strapped to it., how would you get it onto a bus tho, or thru a restaurant door? :twisted:
richmc
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2006
Yeah, but have you ever watched a woman try to do something as simple as reverse park a car in a slot that could house a jumbo jet?....... Stands back and awaits the avalanache of abuse :wink:

Look girls, it's just a joke... most of my best and most intelligent friends in the whole world are women and they've just ordered me to write that on pain of my nuts being put into the nearest vice :shock: !
GoodBai
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 17, 2006
kanelli wrote:Hiya said, "the domaince of the "white elite" they do not want us to be like them they r
holding us back just as men holding women..."

Yeah, yeah, white people always get the blame. :roll:

Hiya said, "and if u take a recent issue
making up all these excuses of iran being terrorists and a danger to the whole world they say they r gonna kill women childern...telln the world plz hold them back (exactly!)"

This is a completely ignorant statement. Yeah, the WHITE PEOPLE don't want Iran to have nukes. Have you considered that maybe Iran would love to blow Israel or the US off the face of the earth if they did obtain nukes? How about the fact that Iran could use oil as a weapon against the West - so maybe money is the reason they would want to act against Iran (which is not a good reason.) WHITE skin colour has nothing to do with it.

If you are really interested in whether men are smarter than women you could read up on some studies. I quickly dug up one news article reporting on a study (which is not like reading the study yourself, of course!) 'Men cleverer than women' claim - From BBC - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4183166.stm

Personally, I think there is more to intelligence than just IQ. There is also the fact that after puberty many girls end up focusing on beauty and attracting a male rather than developing their brains. Finally, many women stay home with children, so that should not be used to say that they aren't intelligent, based on a perception of lower achievement. There are many factors involved in the issue.

Well the study has a point. Now Kanelli take for example Canada. The sex ratio (male to female students) is low in Canadian universities. The uni I study has 10 times more women than men (yeah yeah I am enjoyin :D ) but all the degrees which are tedious and hardcore have high male students eventhough the opportunity is the same.
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 17, 2006
Just because women are interested in different subjects that don't pay as much money and aren't considered as rigorous (e.g. Engineering etc.) doesn't mean that women are less intelligent.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 17, 2006
kanelli wrote:Personally, I think there is more to intelligence than just IQ. There is also the fact that after puberty many girls end up focusing on beauty and attracting a male rather than developing their brains. Finally, many women stay home with children, so that should not be used to say that they aren't intelligent, based on a perception of lower achievement. There are many factors involved in the issue.
[/b]
I second that. That's why *us* women should work extra hard to prove our existence.
Hiya
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2006
Women are already working hard. In this modern day, across many cultures, women are expected to work full time and be successful and advance in their career, while raising children and looking after the household chores. Unfortunately, many men are just working full time and then looking after their own hobbies. I remember reading one report on research that concluded that women do an extra month or more labour per year than what men do.

Here is some reading if interested. http://www.helsinki.fi/science/xantippa ... ee224.html
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 17, 2006
Men and women are different - I've recently been reading a good book that explains the differences, backed up by scans of the brains as well as other studies.

It doesn't say men are better, just explains why men and women are different..

For example, women can multi-task, men can't. One example is that if I'm watching television and the phone rings, I put the volume down ask everyone to be quiet and then talk on the phone. This is very strange to women who can easily watch telly, keep an eye on the kids, have 3! different topics of conversation on the phone with her female friends and still see the man picking his nose or whatever!!

Women have less spatial awareness than men though and think it a good idea to have maps that are printed 'upside down'. Men think this is a stupid idea as they can all visualise going from the top to the bottom of a map - women tend to need the map facing the direction they are going..

Anyway, the book is :

"Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps: How We're Different and What to Do About It "
By Allan Pease and Barbara Pease

BTW - my wife refuses to read the book!! :)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 17, 2006
also you gotta appreciate that every genius/inventor there was a mum that raised him and/or a wife that supported him. Women just work behind the scenes ;)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 18, 2006
And so the saying 'Behind every man, there's a good woman!'

The books being talked about are very interesting. There are also interesting tests you can do, which determine whether you have a male/female or balanced brain. Yes, some men actually have more female brains and vise versa.

As for the parking thing, OK tell that to the MAN I saw take up 3 entire parking spaces for his BMW because he was so crap, he thought one wasn't big enough - Oh how I laughed!!!!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 18, 2006
my friend has a beamer 6-series and he does it on purpose so that no one would ding his car hahaha
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 18, 2006
No but he might find some key scratches down the side!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums