What Is The Last Movie You Saw ??

Topic locked
Sep 05, 2009
3:10 to Yuma (Christian Bale)
Broken Trail (Robert Duvall)
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Brad Pitt)
Open Range (Kevin Costner but still good)
Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood)
Tombstone (Kurt Russell)

These are some of the most recent ones I liked.

Also you should really watch the three boxed tv series of Deadwood, simply brilliant, a real taste of the Old Wild West in all its dirty glory (as I imagine it!). Highly recommended but adult viewing only.

Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 05, 2009
Red Chief wrote:I've just seen my first English movie for last 3 years. Surprisingly it is very nice and light and reminds me Truffaut. Anywait it's quite different from Holywood.

The title is "Happy-go-lucky".

London in the movie (near Yid Army) doesn't look very impressive but with constant sunshine. :)

I guess you mean Tottenham :D Some of North London is a grubby hole, certainly. It is lower rent suburbs, you have them also in Russian cities I am sure. 8)

I am curios how could they find so many shiny days in a year. :o

Shooting schedules are very tightly planned when shooting in the UK to maximise use of light and weather, otherwise disaster, long delays and huge over budget production. Streets may be cleared, shooting may start as soon as the sun rises, etc.:D

ENRAHA! What does it mean? :?:

I had no idea but googled and found the following:

+++
http://www.answers.com/topic/evil-eye
Home > Library > Religion & Spirituality > Encyclopedia of Judaism

(ayin ra'ah or én ha-ra; popularly ayin ha-ra). Widespread belief that certain individuals have the ability to cause harm by directing their gaze at others. According to this ancient, deep-rooted preconception, anyone gifted with the evil eye may inflict bad luck, sickness, or even death, and the potential victim must therefore devise ways to safeguard his person or property against a harmful glance. Superstitions of this kind originated in an idolatrous fear of provoking the gods or of tempting jealous mortals and "familiars" to cast an evil spell on the unwary (see Demons and Demonology; Witchcraft and Sorcery).
+++

It seems that the actor Eddie Marsan who plays the driving instructor is Jewish (and a London boy, born in Bethnal Green) so there is a link, as he says that he was involved in improvising this idea himself.
http://www.channel4.com/film/reviews/fe ... 769&page=2
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 05, 2009
It was provocative question, you know. 8)
Anyway despite rather poor quarter the film looks much more realistic life-affirmating if you compare it with Holywood polished scenes.

To be frank I like your new tag about depression. I'm not sure about anger but lack of enthusiam is absolutely true.
The lead femaile charackter is absolutely enthusiastic in spite of all her mishaps. :D
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 05, 2009
Yo SH thanks...

Downloading 3:10 to Yuma now!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 05, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:Yo SH thanks...

Downloading 3:10 to Yuma now!

tell everyone !!!! :D :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 05, 2009
Red Chief wrote:It was provocative question, you know. 8)
Anyway despite rather poor quarter the film looks much more realistic life-affirmating if you compare it with Holywood polished scenes.

To be frank I like your new tag about depression. I'm not sure about anger but lack of enthusiam is absolutely true.
The lead femaile charackter is absolutely enthusiastic in spite of all her mishaps. :D

Depression, goes the old saying, is anger turned inward.

I didn't see the film but that kind of person, who seems always so happy, is the most likely to suffer from depression I think. Hiding unhappiness until it assumes massive proportions, then imploding. I never thought it could happen to me, I didn't see it coming, is the comment.

I'll be watching Redemption Road later. Also maybe Kung Fu Hustle (again) if I need cheering up afterwards! :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 05, 2009
Well. It's impossible to discuss some movie without seeing, although it was extremely popular on meetings of CPSU some time ago. :wink:

I forgot another rather interesting movie I saw recently. The title is "Deception" with Ewan McGregor, Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams.

I will not be suprised if somebody (who could it be? 8) ) accuse me in falling in lust but really film is about relationship although I cannot say that the idea of such a club is not interesting at all. :wink:
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 05, 2009
Hmmm....your interest in the dark side is developiing..... :shock: :D

I saw Deception last year, my remembrance is quite enjoying it, but my memory is such that I never remember many details of films after 6 months or so, therefore discussion would be difficult. Before you ask, it's not onset of Alzheimers, I have always been that way with film media, and it allows me to watch over and over with the same enjoyment, rather like a 5 year old child. ;)

Another film which explores the loss of passion and excitement and attempts to replace it at heavy cost is the Polanski film Bitter Moon, funny and shocking. A film I would actually label as great. I will try to find it again as I need to watch again.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 05, 2009
Red Chief wrote:I forgot another rather interesting movie I saw recently. The title is "Deception" with Ewan McGregor, Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams.

I will not be suprised if somebody (who could it be? 8) ) accuse me in falling in lust but really film is about relationship although I cannot say that the idea of such a club is not interesting at all. :wink:

In a similar vein I liked Eyes Wide Shut much more. (Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman)
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 05, 2009
Will try to see the film but I doubt that Tom the fairy and Nicole the less can make that story plausible, sorry.
Cruse trashed "The Firm". I cannot pardon him.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 05, 2009
I agree, Cruise has many sins to account for, but he didn't manage to trash Vanilla Sky in my opinion. He falls apart very well through the film, and I love the plot, complex or even dense which some people I know hated, but all is revealed at the end. I don't care about not being able to follow a film sequentially as long as I can try to put it together at the end.

Plus Penelope Cruz...:thumbright:....you can throw Cameron Diaz back in the water.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 05, 2009
Vanila Sky is one of the best film I've evwer seen. Cruise aws briliant.

Sorry, Johnnie prevents me from walking.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 05, 2009
LOL. Johnny is a bad boy but Jack is the one who always cripples me.... ;)

My new media player arrived today, has 80 Blu-ray films and 500 DVD quality films pre-installed, so I'm dumbfounded as to what to watch next. :D

Just watched Redemption Road (quickly, as realised I saw it on a plane a couple of months ago, I can't believe myself sometimes.....:roll:)

Very moving film. The dead boy's family must hope to rebuild their lives after Phoenix gets his 'closure' in finding the killer, but the accidental killer has to live with the remorse and guilt for the rest of his life (and you can see he is intensely guilt-ridden). Lots of inner conflict enacted by good actors always makes a great film I think.

Get some sleep now and reply at 3 a.m. :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 05, 2009
Whatr do you want to say, bloody wizard? :D Yes, I also pefer Jack ti Jonnie but it doesn't mean that your father messed with my family, or not. :?:
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 05, 2009
Watched Righteous Kill. De Niro and Pacino. The story is thin and predictable, with a small twist at the end that presumably was felt necessary to try to lift the film out of the mundane. Great actors, and they should be avoiding these roles now. They are in fact too old to look good shooting guns. Someone should tell Stallone the same too.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 06, 2009
Red Chief wrote:Will try to see the film but I doubt that Tom the fairy and Nicole the less can make that story plausible, sorry.
Cruse trashed "The Firm". I cannot pardon him.

Agreed I have yet to fine tune my tastes. Long legs, T*ts and a good story leave me quite satisfied. :D
Leaving my preferances aside Rotten Tomatoes did give this movie a 78% rating. That should'nt account for nought.

I noticed you enjoyed The Italian Job? If bank heists are your thing then I would highly recommend The Bank Job (Jason Statham - not his usual fare where suspension of reality is mandatory)

The best thing about this caper whose elements include a royal scandal, exotic locations, MI5 involvement, a brothel with a clientele from high places, corrupt cops, romance and a heist by a bunch of small-time crooks, is that it is based on fact.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 06, 2009
3:10 to Yuma was nice! I like how the tension builds up right to climax, where I was eagerly anticipating some sorta heroism from Bale. Alas it never came! Wow!
A story like that with any other actors would have had to premier on Showtime.
But the cast here really make it work. Russel Crowe and Christian Bale bloody amazing performers.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 06, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:3:10 to Yuma was nice! I like how the tension builds up right to climax, where I was eagerly anticipating some sorta heroism from Bale. Alas it never came! Wow!
A story like that with any other actors would have had to premier on Showtime.
But the cast here really make it work. Russel Crowe and Christian Bale bloody amazing performers.

Yeah I liked it, it's remake of an old film which I never saw. My dad gave me the taste for westerns, but in those days it was quite often 'white man fighting the redskin' (Native American), not very PC now.

I liked the fact that Bale didn't suddenly become an amazing gunslinger; although he was a sharpshooter in the army it's not the same thing. He was just a poor and downtrodden rancher with one and a half legs and a son that didn't respect him. I think his heroism was very obvious, an ordinary man with a lot of courage to stand up to his failures in life and make amends for his family. Loved it.

Not so sure about Crowe's character although he was good to watch. I'd like somehow to see the first film and see how it was played there also.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 06, 2009
edit
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 06, 2009
EH?

:D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 06, 2009
Thought you'd watched a film but then realised it was only the first of two disks???

:D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 06, 2009
I have just watched 50 Pills, rather funny commedy about how good students life should be in contrast with boring downloading dumb movies and dreaming about a girl just for fun up to 3-30 AM.

Yes, the film about NYC with X, booze and girls in between.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 07, 2009
3:10 to Yuma with Christian Bale and Russell Crowe
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 07, 2009
Red Chief wrote:I have just watched 50 Pills, rather funny commedy about how good students life should be in contrast with boring downloading dumb movies and dreaming about a girl just for fun up to 3-30 AM.

MCL, he means you!! :D

For a film about NY nightclubs you should see 54, semi-fictional film about the very real Studio 54, a notorious NY club with very high profile guests a while back. Very enjoyable excess.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 07, 2009
I'm not really interested in nightclubs because I visited them a lot around the Globe.
I'm Moscow boy. Remember? Of course it’s not London but what they call night clubs in Dubai is a big joke. They are rather factory of brides.
I like movies about student’s life because high school was probably the most memorable time for me. One day I had 2 girlfriends at the same time, both from my class. So I don’t understand what MCL is moaning about.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 07, 2009
Dubai nightclubs fall into two categories for me. The meat markets or the Lebanese movie star fantasy world. The idea of men's style in the ME with the short tight shirts or t-shirts showing big muscled arms, with maybe a cigarette packet tucked up the arm, is so corny it's laughable. And sorry, but yellow and pink loafers do not cut it :D

54 is a good film, it's about the excesses of celebrity rather than the working of a nightclub. Also sorry to say that I like Mike Myers, I admitted it.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 07, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
Red Chief wrote:I have just watched 50 Pills, rather funny commedy about how good students life should be in contrast with boring downloading dumb movies and dreaming about a girl just for fun up to 3-30 AM.

MCL, he means you!! :D

Got that Speedy :D

Alrit Chiefster I've aldready completed the entire college cum graduation ritual. Now settling into old age :P
And I've had it with teen college movies mate, been there done that! Guess you watch em for old time sake eh?

But seriously there is absolutely no campus culture here whatsovr, and the influx of students reeks of retardation. As an exchange student I made the wrong choice in coming here to study.( Study? Did you say study and where? hah ah - Made me the joke of the century back home)

Yea there were women, I had a car some friends but it was all astoundingly monotonous not to mention costly.
Should've gone to Perugia instead!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 08, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote: As an exchange student I made the wrong choice in coming here to study.( Study? Did you say study and where? hah ah - Made me the joke of the century back home)

It's an off-topic but could you explain about exchange student? As far as I understand you don't live in host family, but rent a flat by yourself.
Do you have a scholarship?

What was the financial sence in studing in this place?
Thanks.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 08, 2009
Red Chief wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote: As an exchange student I made the wrong choice in coming here to study.( Study? Did you say study and where? hah ah - Made me the joke of the century back home)

It's an off-topic but could you explain about exchange student? As far as I understand you don't live in host family, but rent a flat by yourself.
Do you have a scholarship?

What was the financial sence in studing in this place?
Thanks.

Transfer student. I transferred my credits here.

I moved to AUH only in Jan.
Financial sense? Well I intend to stay put for atleast another year, hence the move to a flat.
Currently am busy studying for an American based certification, so technically I'm still studying. Then I'm also a full time private investor focussing on stocks in the ME and India, with commodities on the anvil. So I've taken some time off just to analyse companies and study for the certification.
By Nov I'll initiate my job hunt in full swing, hopefully things'll go according to plan. If things don't workout then I'll probably packup by Feb-March, subject to the value of my investments (no way in hell I'm leaving my invested capital here without ma constant monitoring)

BTW a sequel to the Micheal Douglas movie Stock Market will go on the floors soon.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 08, 2009
event horizon wrote:3:10 to Yuma with Christian Bale and Russell Crowe

Love that movie! :D
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Movies and Music TalkForum Rules

Return to Movies and Music Talk