The World Cup 2022

  • Reply
The World Cup 2022 Posted Jan 08, 2011
Sepp Blatter said tonight that the tournament will be played in the winter in Qatar in 2022. A major change to previous World Cups. How will England cope? We don't have a winter break. Major changes ahead, if we qualify of course.
FIFA continue to make it up as they go along.

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts
Posts: 6668
Location: JBR

  • Reply
Re: The World Cup 2022 Posted Jan 18, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:Sepp Blatter said tonight that the tournament will be played in the winter in Qatar in 2022. A major change to previous World Cups. How will England cope? We don't have a winter break. Major changes ahead, if we qualify of course.
FIFA continue to make it up as they go along.


It could of course be factored into the season with a winter break for the World Cup.

I really wonder why they are now thinking to change the timing, I am sure if this had been in the bid from Qatar they would have not won the vote?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 16372
Location: Dubai and beyond

  • Reply
Re: The World Cup 2022 Posted Jan 18, 2011
Things have moved on since I posted that, Sage. The Qataris have said that they will not ask that the tournament be played in the winter, nor will it be spread over the ME. It will be played in the summer in Qatar, The Qatari gadgy in charge of their FA has his sights on being chairman of FIFA when Blatter retires. He will be up against Michel Platini for the job. I know who i'd rather have and it ain't the Arab.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts
Posts: 6668
Location: JBR

  • Reply
Re: The World Cup 2022 Posted Jan 18, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:Things have moved on since I posted that, Sage. The Qataris have said that they will not ask that the tournament be played in the winter, nor will it be spread over the ME. It will be played in the summer in Qatar, The Qatari gadgy in charge of their FA has his sights on being chairman of FIFA when Blatter retires. He will be up against Michel Platini for the job. I know who i'd rather have and it ain't the Arab.


I think it's early days yet.

You mean you would rather have a Frenchman in charge?????
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 16372
Location: Dubai and beyond

  • Reply
Re: The World Cup 2022 Posted Jan 18, 2011
Of course! i like the French. :wink:
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts
Posts: 6668
Location: JBR

  • Reply
Re: The World Cup 2022 Posted Jan 18, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:Of course! i like the French. :wink:


Must be because of the wine :roll:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 16372
Location: Dubai and beyond

  • Reply
Re: The World Cup 2022 Posted Jan 18, 2011
sage & onion wrote:It could of course be factored into the season with a winter break for the World Cup.

I really wonder why they are now thinking to change the timing, I am sure if this had been in the bid from Qatar they would have not won the vote?


I got the impression that FIFA knew that this was on the cards before voting and a lot of money would be involved.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers
User avatar
Posts: 1505

  • Reply
Re: The World Cup 2022 Posted Jan 19, 2011
sage & onion wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:Of course! i like the French. :wink:


Must be because of the wine :roll:


No it isn't actually Sage, my favourite wine is Australian. :D

-- Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:26 am --

benwj wrote:
sage & onion wrote:It could of course be factored into the season with a winter break for the World Cup.

I really wonder why they are now thinking to change the timing, I am sure if this had been in the bid from Qatar they would have not won the vote?


I got the impression that FIFA knew that this was on the cards before voting and a lot of money would be involved.


Yes benwj, as DK once pointed out, a lot of money in brown envelopes. But lets not go down this route again as RC loses his wig at the slightest mention of anything dodgy concerning the voting methods used at FIFA.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts
Posts: 6668
Location: JBR

  • Reply
Re: The World Cup 2022 Posted Jan 31, 2011
So can fans expect this sort of "we screw up, treat you bad, and then lie to the outside world" in WC 2022?
Aparently workers were given Arabic clothes to wear and let in for free, so it would appear that many "Qataris" were attending....
all this at the cost of genuine ticket holders many of whom came from Australia to see the final match


While Asian Football Confederation (AFC) president Mohamed Bin Hammam claimed that the organization and conduct of the Asian Cup 2011 had “exceeded” expectations, the fans who arrived at the Khalifa Stadium for the final opined otherwise.

Several ticket-holders were denied access to their seat as the gates were closed at least 45 minutes before the kick-off, which led to the official attendance being recorded to 37,147, far less than what the 50,000 seat stadium can accommodate.

“We reached around 5.30 pm at the stadium and saw the gates closed. They didn't allow us to get in even though we had the tickets," said Abdul A.

“People started screaming and shouting but no-one from the AFC management came out to give an explanation.

“Some fans protested vehemently and later were taken into police custody. We didn't get to see the match. Even people who had VIP passes weren't allowed.
"We saw empty seats while walking back towards our car and that even frustrated us more. When I was taking pictures, the cops asked me for the camera in order to delete the pictures."
Another fan highlighted of the behavior of the security guards which has consistently remained impolite.

“My dad and uncle couldn't see the game as security didn't let them in spite of having the tickets. The security must learn to speak English," said Rae Pais.

"They were inhospitable, rude and ignorant. They treat people in a very despicable manner. I also think that they need to fix these issues now else ten years down the line, the mistakes will be repeated in 2022 World Cup."

Fans have been using online forums to vent their frustrations at the poorly organized tournament which saw them missing out on the final.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper
Posts: 507

  • Reply
Re: The World Cup 2022 Posted Feb 01, 2011
Someone probably told them to stop letting people in for free and the braindead idiot's on the gates thought this meant stop letting everyone in, even anyone with a ticket.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers
User avatar
Posts: 1505

  • Reply
Re: The World Cup 2022 Posted Feb 24, 2011
Russia 2018 :bigsmurf:
seibukan
Dubai Forum Guest
User avatar
Posts: 2
Location: DUBAI, JBC tower 2, 1406 JLT

posting in Dubai Sports ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Sports Forum


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Last post