What Britons Really Think About Immigration

Topic locked
What Britons really think about immigration Feb 27, 2011
Fear and Hope, the report Searchlight Educational Trust is publishing on attitudes to immigration, identity and multiculturalism, gives those of us committed to the fight against extremism nowhere to hide. The survey of 5,000 people, the largest of its kind ever conducted, Commissioned by The Home Office, carried out by Ipsos MORI for the UK Border Agency is stark, brutal and unequivocal.

52% of Britons agree with the proposition "Muslims create problems in the UK"
43% of Asian Britons, 63% of white Britons and 17% of black Britons agree with the proposition that "on the whole, immigration into Britain has been a bad thing for the country".
48% of Britons say they would consider supporting a new far right-wing party, if it shunned violence and fascist imagery.
80% Say, ’Cap Immigration’

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/feb/2 ... lism-study

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/115 ... mmigration.

It would appear the British Government need to do some more listening!

Regards

Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: What Britons really think about immigration Feb 27, 2011
Dillon wrote: It would appear the British Government need to do some more listening!

He-he Vox populy - vox dei. :blackeye:
In my view, the government took too many stupid decisions under pressure of the crowd in this area. Recently, they were enforced to change some of them. Good example was the work visa cap for non-EU citizens, which prevent scientific researchers and high-earned business people from working in the UK. Frankly speaking the UK has been always hostile to the people with non-British diploma, but the cap would exiled the most deserved ones.
Thanks God common sense prevailed over the routine xenophobia and some professions were exempted from the cap and the rules for another ones were eased.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/feb/1 ... NTCMP=SRCH

Another even more stupid decision is changing visa policy for MBA post-graduates. A few years ago foreigners, who graduated from British uni with MBA degree, were granted 2 years work permit for training in British companies but this rule has been changed recently. Personally I doubt very much in value of such a pure academic business education without any training at a real workplace, which British education really is. Such students are literate enough for reading books without tutors. :wink:
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

I agree with you entirely, the Labour Party has for many Years pandered to the UK’s Immigrant population in return for their vote and now the country’s paying the price.

The recent blanket immigration caps were a knee jerk reaction to the sudden influx from Eastern Europe, as you say, the UK Border Agency have amended and are constantly changing their policies allowing the desirable elements into the UK.

But more needs to be done.
Dillon

Dillon wrote: sudden influx from Eastern Europe.

I totally agree. :idea: By the way, can you confirm the following story about side effect of the influx?

Since Poland joint EU and so big influx of Poles to the UK, which has been followed after that, wild ducks have almost disapeared from ponds and lakes of England. Most Brits connect this fact with the old tradition of celebration of Catholic Cristmass, more stricktly with the main dish for this holyday.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

There have been many stories in the press, local and National regarding domestic pets and wildlife mysteriously disappearing around camps housing Eastern European migrant workers since the break up of Yugoslavia, similar urban myths did the rounds when Asian families started expanding out of urban areas in the 1960’s and it was usually the Chinese Takeaway responsible for the family pet Cat that went missing, it taste’s just like chicken you know? LOL

But on a more serious note, if I found myself in a foreign country earning very little or minimum wage, I certainly wouldn’t hesitate helping myself to a little wild duck now and again or a swan, but I think I’d draw the line at a BBQ’d Rat! But who knows, if needs must?

http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 20655.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/aug/1 ... h-sleepers
Dillon

He-he. I personaly don't like Polacks too probably due long living nearby, but I highly doubt of the story and guess that it speaks more about Englishmen and their sence of humour than Polls.
8) 8) 8)

Let me give you the view from another side of the Channel. "The sudden influx" to Western Europe almost deserted Poland itself and the empty workplaces (plumbers etc. 8) ) was quickly occupied by migrants from Ukraine, but even the latter usually don't eat wild ducks. So Polls went to the UK for better life, not run from the hunger.

As for homeless and shameless, It's rather flimsy pretext, suits for conscience' sake only.
8) 8) 8)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Well, I’ve only come into close contact with very few Polish Nationals, one, a Mathematics tutor at College who emigrated to the UK after being freed from a German POW camp in 1945, and another, an Ex Polish Air Force pilot who flew with the RAF in the battle of Britain, and as a Sr Engineer was a colleague and mentor in my time as a Jr Engineer in the late 1970’s, both of whom I had, and still have an immense respect and admiration for their humble nature and human principles.

It certainly would appear that the younger generation are a much different animal!

Regards
Dillon

RC Did you ever go to that footie ground in Warsaw, I don't remember it's name? I did. What a rubbish view, I couldn't see a thing! Every seat I chose I was sitting behind a pole.

And yes to the OP. Things need to change and the Government is finally listening, I think.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Bethsmum wrote:RC Did you ever go to that footie ground in Warsaw, I don't remember it's name? I did. What a rubbish view, I couldn't see a thing! Every seat I chose I was sitting behind a pole.

And yes to the original OP. Things need to change and the Government is finally listening, I think.

He-he It sounds like the proverb - "go to nowhere and bring me something, I don't know". Well are all of those Polacks or Yids, if you was talking about Warsaw ghetto, were eating the wild ducks just imported from the UK?
:shock: :shock: :shock:

As for the topic, I agree that the government should follow the xenophobic views of Englishmen. Otherwise they would govern another nation but all of this unreasonable caps or bans could make opposite effect.

In Russia for instance, when similar rules were implemented just 2 years ago Ukrainians, which have been very close to Russians in terms of language, culture and religion, were almost disappeared but were quickly replaced by people from Central Asia, who are ready to live together with another dozen countrymen in one room, work illegaly and don't Speak Russian at all. The ability of adoptation of the latter is close to zero.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Re: What Britons Really Think About Immigration Feb 27, 2011
Very interesting results indeed.

Some 39% of Asian Britons, 34% of white Britons and 21% of black Britons now believe all immigration into the UK should be stopped permanently, or at least until the UK's economic situation improves. Meanwhile, 52% of Britons agree with the proposition "Muslims create problems in the UK", and 43% of Asian Britons, 63% of white Britons and 17% of black Britons agree with the proposition that "on the whole, immigration into Britain has been a bad thing for the country". In addition, 48% of Britons say they would consider supporting a new far right-wing party, if it shunned violence and fascist imagery.

So more (as a %) Asian Britons than White Britons think that all immigration should stop permanently.

What is remarkable is that the vast majority of Black Britons don't view immigration negatively - with only 17% saying it was bad.

52% thinking Muslims create problems in the UK - is not surprising. I would have voted in favour of this - considering the likes of Anjum Choudary and the Islam4UK nutters (and not to mention the thick English wannabe bombers!)

The positive light is that at least the majority of Britons will not vote for fascists like the BNP. Phew.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

48% of Britons say they would consider supporting a new far right-wing party, if it shunned violence and fascist imagery.

shafique wrote:The positive light is that at least the majority of Britons will not vote for fascists like the BNP. Phew.

Not quite yet, all in good time!

:lol:
Dillon

:D

These British Christians (I guess, given they are at church) are probably among those who don't think Immigration is a good thing:

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

British? LOL Failed English bomber gents? LOL Nice try Shafique, but in the words of a numpty FAIL.
Bethsmum

Re: What Britons really think about immigration Feb 28, 2011
"Old fruity!" was an excellent line I thought ;) - and most Britons laugh at this sketch.

Joking apart:

What the survey does highlight though is that many of our fellow Britons are indeed racist. Racism is rife within the Asian, generally and within the British Asian, community - between races and indeed over such superficial issues such as skin tone (darker vs paler complexions).

Our fellow Britons who are Black seem to be the least racist according to this survey.

I also think it would be interesting to look at the results by social status/education. I think you'll also find interesting trends if you split the data that way too.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: What Britons really think about immigration Feb 28, 2011
I didn't look at the link, I really can't be bothered.
Keep banging on about your fellow 'English gents' Shafique. You may convince yourself if you try hard enough.
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk