Separation Of Church And State: Radical US Christians

Topic locked
Separation of Church and State: Radical US Christians Feb 29, 2012
Interesting to hear the views of our Christian American poster on whether he agrees with Rick Santorum on the role of the church in state affairs - i.e. a 'Christianisation' of the state.

IIRC Palin said something about laws should be based on Biblical teachings.. but it is easy to lump this with other 'Palinisms' even though it was probably what she believes. However, Santorum doesn't have the same excuse:

Many Radical Christians today believe America has changed too much and that the superior place of Christianity needs to be reasserted, i.e. re-Christianization. This thought doesn’t only permeate the GOP, in fact it has captured the GOP. This much is clear from the ongoing reality TV circus known as the Republican primary debates.

Take Rick Santorum, it was recently revealed that he “felt like throwing up” when he first read JFK’s famous speech on the separation of church and state. He was questioned about this by George Stephanopoulos, Santorum replied that he felt like vomiting after reading the first substantive line of the speech in which JFK said, “Apparently it is important for me to state again, not what kind of church I believe in, for that should be important only to me, but what kind of America I believe in. I believe in an America in which the separation between church and state is absolute.“ Santorum went on to say,

I don’t believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute. The idea that the church can have no influence or no involvement in the operation of the state is absolutely antithetical to the objectives and vision of our country.

http://www.loonwatch.com/2012/02/this-i ... stitution/

Let's see if we can keep this thread on topic and address the Christianisation of the USA and not have any 'whataboutery' arguments about fantasies about Muslims... I hope the usual suspects can show some restraint.

Is it concerning to people that a potential presidential candidate says that the Church and State separation is not absolute and there should be some involvement?

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Separation Of Church And State: Radical US Christians Feb 29, 2012
shafique wrote:Let's see if we can keep this thread on topic and address the Christianisation of the USA and not have any 'whataboutery' arguments about fantasies about Muslims... I hope the usual suspects can show some restraint.

From the career troll and baiter. The professional triangulating child.

Santorum made the Dutch mad, and as the lady says, the Dutch don't get mad over nothing.

Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman ,

That's Santorum building foreign relations. :lol:

He's an idiot. Religion has no place in government and government has no right to dictate religious belief onto a society. That's how it works in the US.

He would be as successful in bringing Christianity into government as Sharia law being the governing law and replacing the Consitution of the US.

He has either managed to forget his own past when he was a teenager, or thinks it is so deeply buried no one can find it. He's not taken serious otherwise someone would have dug deep to reveal his dirty little past, which would thrown his high moral judgement of society right out the window.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Separation of Church and State: Radical US Christians Feb 29, 2012
This is loon hype indeed.

But this is coming from the 7th century minded religious fanatic who doesn't oppose the introduction of Islamic law into Europe.
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Bora Bora wrote:He's an idiot. Religion has no place in government and government has no right to dictate religious belief onto a society. That's how it works in the US.

Can't fault that - I'd expect that most Amercians, bar the radical Christians like Santorum and event horizon, put the constitution first.

eh's post is pure whataboutery, with a dash of ad hominem thrown in. Interesting that - but completely predictable.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk