Rabbi Says 'Women Know Your Place'

Topic locked
Rabbi says 'Women know your place' May 27, 2010
Hot on the heels (well a few months) after the English vicars tell women to follow the Bible's instructions and submit to their husbands, because 'The Bible’s claim is that God invented marriage. Marriage was God’s idea. God knows how it works.' - we now have a Rabbi getting in on the act:

West Bank rabbi bans women from local election

The chief rabbi of a West Bank settlement has prohibited women from standing in a local community election.

Rabbi Elyakim Levanon of the Elon Moreh settlement, near Nablus, said women lacked the authority to stand for the post of local secretary.
He wrote in a community newspaper that women must only be heard through their husbands.

No women have registered for the election due to be held later on Wednesday, Israeli media reported.

The rabbi made his comments in the community's newspaper after an unidentified young woman wrote to him asking if she could run for the position of community secretary, the Israeli news website Ynet News said.

But in his weekly column, Rabbi Levanon wrote that, according to the teachings of influential rabbis, women were not allowed to apply for the position.

"The first problem is giving women authority, and being a secretary means having authority," Rabbi Levanon wrote in the community's newspaper.

"Within the family certain debates are held and when opinions are united the husband presents the family's opinion.

"This is the proper way to prevent a situation in which the woman votes one way and her husband votes another," he wrote.

He also said it was not appropriate for women to mix with men in late evening meetings of community leaders.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/middle ... 161713.stm

Cue - 'but the Mooslims are worse' comments :shock:

Eh - I think you should make a pit stop in Palestine and explain the Bible to the Chief Rabbi (that is unless you agree with him on this?) :mrgreen:

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Rabbi says 'Women know your place' May 28, 2010
I think they should send Harry Enfield down there...after all he coined the catchphrase "Women, know your place!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Perhaps the rabbi's opinion was influenced by Muslims in Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Afghanistan...oh, and Nigeria:

Islamic Scholars Fault Move to Install Woman Gov

As Kwarans await the emergence of the governorship candidate of the ruling Peoples Democractic Party (PDP) for the 2011 general elections, Islamic scholars in the state have called on stakeholders saddled with the task of picking the candidate to desist from presenting a woman governorship or deputy governorship candidate for the election.

The group, under the banner of Islamic Scholars of Ilorin, in a communiqu� issued Monday and made available to newsmen, said any such move would be against the will of Allah. They said the Sharia position on female leadership is subsidiary and not to occupy the grand leadership of any society.

The communiqu� read in part: �We as descendants and disciples of Sheikh Aalim, Sheikh Kamaldeen Al-Adabiyy, Sheikh Adam Al-llory and many other scholars, therefore see it as our collective obligation before our creator, then as a duty we owe those erudite scholars of our beloved town of Islamic principle to set the records straight on the position of Islam in such a case.

�This is being done without any motive to either support or work against the candidacy of any aspirant. �While it is unequivocally stated in Sharia literature that a woman can occupy, and indeed women have occupied, the position of subsidiary leadership, as ministers, commissioners etc, the grand leadership of a state or a nation is exclusively for men as the masculinity is usually stated conspicuously, as a prerequisite for the position of leadership of a state or a nation.

�Leadership in Islam is a responsibility and not a privilege; hence, restriction of grand leadership to males alone never suggests discrimination against women. The fact we had/have female leaders in very few muslims countries-compared to the overwhelming majority of them.�

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=174163

But I can't fault these Muslim scholars for wanting to prohibit women in leadership roles. Muhammad, himself, said the following:

Volume 5, Book 59, Number 709:

Narrated Abu Bakra:

During the days (of the battle) of Al-Jamal, Allah benefited me with a word I had heard from Allah's Apostle after I had been about to join the Companions of Al-Jamal (i.e. the camel) and fight along with them. When Allah's Apostle was informed that the Persians had crowned the daughter of Khosrau as their ruler, he said, "Such people as ruled by a lady will never be successful."
event horizon

shafique wrote:Cue - 'but the Mooslims are worse' comments :shock:

Eh - I think you should make a pit stop in Palestine and explain the Bible to the Chief Rabbi (that is unless you agree with him on this?) :mrgreen:

The lad doesn't disapoint! :roll:
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Rabbi says 'Women know your place' May 29, 2010
What religion doesn't subjugate women?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

When Allah's Apostle was informed that the Persians had crowned the daughter of Khosrau as their ruler

Eh did you know that Zoroastrians were non-muslims...and that the prophet mohammed was leading the muslims in battles..But zoroastrians thought that they were too clever when they pushed a woman foward before the prophet? Maybe zoroastrians were more muslim than you are eh! What do you think?...

-- Sat May 29, 2010 4:05 pm --

What religion doesn't subjugate women?

No religion is meant to subjugate or degrade or denigrate women..It's kind of men who are obssesed with woman that makes their life hell..

In islam, since men and women both came from the same essence, they are equal in their humanity and in responsibilities to one another and towards God..

Islam recognizes and fosters the natural differences between men and women despite their equality. Some types of work are more suitable for men and other types for women. This in no way diminishes either's effort nor its benefit. God will reward both sexes equally for the value of their work, though it may not necessarily be the same activity.

This guardianship and greater financial responsibility given to men, requires that they provide women with not only monetary support but also physical protection and kind and respectful treatment.

The Muslim woman has the privilege to earn money, the right to own property, to enter into legal contracts and to manage all of her assets in any way she pleases. She can run her own business and no one has any claim on her earnings including her husband. The Qur'an states:

"And in no wise covet those things in which Allah hath bestowed His gifts more freely on some of you than on others; to men is allotted what they earn, and to women, what they earn; but ask Allah of His bounty, for Allah hath full knowledge of all things." (4:32)

http://islam101.net/select-disciplines- ... islam.html
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

The Persians were Christian and Zoroastrian. In Iraq, Christians made up a majority of the population. Though, you are right that the leadership was all Zoroastrian.

I'm not sure what your comment has to do with the report of Muhammad saying that women in leadership will lead a nation into disarray. That's probably, in part, due to the Islamic belief that women are impure during their menstrual cycle (ditto with what the Koran says about Christians (and apparently Jews) and Pagans who commit shirk).

Then again, the Koran requires two female witnesses if the testimony of one man is not available and that is regardless to her monthly cycle. From the Muslim perspective, I suppose it makes sense that women should not be leaders because an ideal woman in Islam is one making babies and obeys her husband in all matters.

The Koran also compares a woman to a field for the man to till as he pleases.
event horizon

Re: Rabbi Says 'Women Know Your Place' May 29, 2010
Well, I'm with eh on this one - we both agree that the Rabbis and Vicars who use take the Biblical verses which say women should 'know their place' should get with the programme and learn from eh on which verses to ignore and which to follow.

Of course I disagree with eh that the moooslims are far worse, but he has to say that or he'll be thrown out of his club.

It is a bit embarrassing for eh, though, that Rabbis and Vicars this month are preaching that the Bible should be taken literally when it comes to a woman's place - but hey, perhaps the Bible was influenced by the Quran. (... err, there may be a flaw in this logic.... can't quite put my finger on it ...errr ;) )

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

kanelli wrote:What religion doesn't subjugate women?

All religions subjugate women!!!
Despinaki
Dubai Forums Member

Despinaki wrote:
kanelli wrote:What religion doesn't subjugate women?

All religions subjugate women!!!

My advice to all of you believers out there: Step away from the agony of fear and sin and become Atheist! :) :wink:
RobbyG

Re: Rabbi says 'Women know your place' May 30, 2010
RobbyG, I am Atheist, Vegeterian, Feminist, Non-Smoker, etc, etc 8)
Despinaki
Dubai Forums Member

Despinaki wrote:RobbyG, I am Atheist, Vegeterian, Feminist, Non-Smoker, etc, etc 8)

Bitc.h alert. ;) Feminist and Veggy is too much for me. I need meat on the bones!

Do you have any? 8)
RobbyG

RobbyG wrote:
Despinaki wrote:RobbyG, I am Atheist, Vegeterian, Feminist, Non-Smoker, etc, etc 8)

Bitc.h alert. ;) Feminist and Veggy is too much for me. I need meat on the bones!

Do you have any? 8)

Yes, I have plenty of meat! :lol: :lol:
Despinaki
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Rabbi Says 'Women Know Your Place' May 30, 2010
Now you scared me. :D
RobbyG

And you are not scared of my avatar? It's me in PMS :lol:
Despinaki
Dubai Forums Member

I like a mean, lean killing machine, but not with Pre-Menstrual Syndrome ;)

Robby needs love without hassle honey. :D ;)
RobbyG

RobbyG wrote:

Well, eeeer...I can change :? :D
Despinaki
Dubai Forums Member

Despinaki wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

Hotty. :D

Know your place, come to Robby ;) :lol:
RobbyG

#love is in the air...#
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Ditto, except the vegetarian part. I was vegetarian and plan to go back to that. :D
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

RobbyG wrote:
Despinaki wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

Hotty. :D

Know your place, come to Robby ;) :lol:

Yes Robby, as a woman I know my place, now it's somewhere near you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

-- Sun May 30, 2010 2:40 pm --

shafique wrote:#love is in the air...#
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Better 'love in the air', 'than war in the air' :P :lol: 8)
Despinaki
Dubai Forums Member

kanelli wrote:

Ditto, except the vegetarian part. I was vegetarian and plan to go back to that. :D

Why are all women on this forum Feminist? 8)
RobbyG

Re: Rabbi says 'Women know your place' May 31, 2010
Hopefully there are a lot of men who are feminist too.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Rabbi says 'Women know your place' May 31, 2010
shafique wrote:Of course I disagree with eh that the moooslims are far worse, but he has to say that or he'll be thrown out of his club.

I'm sorry, didn't quite catch that.

Are you saying the official policy of several Islamic states, in addition to a body of Islamic scholars in Nigeria, is less worse than the opinion of one vicar in the UK and some Rabbi in the West Bank?

LoL.
event horizon

Re: Rabbi Says 'Women Know Your Place' May 31, 2010
shafique wrote:Well, I'm with eh on this one - we both agree that the Rabbis and Vicars who use take the Biblical verses which say women should 'know their place' should get with the programme and learn from eh on which verses to ignore and which to follow.

Of course I disagree with eh that the moooslims are far worse, but he has to say that or he'll be thrown out of his club.

It is a bit embarrassing for eh, though, that Rabbis and Vicars this month are preaching that the Bible should be taken literally when it comes to a woman's place - but hey, perhaps the Bible was influenced by the Quran. (... err, there may be a flaw in this logic.... can't quite put my finger on it ...errr ;) )

I'm saying I agree with you about having to choose which verses of the Bible to reject and which to follow.

What I disagree with you has been discussed in threads relating to your quaint views of Islamic teaching. As we've established, I don't reject any verse of the Quran. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk