Desecrated Bible=art; Desecrated Koran = Jail Time

Topic locked
Desecrated Bible=art; Desecrated Koran = jail time Apr 11, 2011
Perhaps our more open minded thinkers can make sense out of this.

Britain recently arrested (and released, but are still investigating) two British citizens who burned a copy of their own Koran.

At the same time, an art exhibition, on the taxpayer's dime, is displaying a desecrated Bible at an exhibit (apparently, if I understand the article correctly, visitors can even desecrate their own Bible at the exhibit?).

So why is the government paying 'artists' to desecrate the Bible but criminalizes similar actions with the Koran?

Does the government pretend its sane any more?

The Bible:

There is apparently an exhibition in the Gallery of Modern Art (Goma) in Glasgow, entitled Made in God’s Image.

It encourages people to deface the Bible in the name of art — and obliging visitors have responded with predictable abuse and obscenity. This can come as no surprise to the ‘artists’, who included in their creation a video of a woman ripping pages from the Bible and stuffing them into her bra, knickers and mouth.

Cranmer has never been one for the burning of books, a logical corollary of which must be the freedom to burn a book if one so wishes, or place a rasher of bacon within it and call it ‘art’.

But when that book is burned with taxpayer subsidy, the offence is multiplied a thousandfold, for the good people of Glasgow are forcibly paying for the desecration of a sacred book, and they are therefore unwittingly complicit. This, to Cranmer, would be a just reason not to render unto Caesar.

Bizarrely, or naively, the exhibit, Untitled 2009, was proposed by the Metropolitan Community Church, which ‘celebrates racial, cultural, linguistic, sexual, gender and theological diversity’. Their idea was to reclaim the Bible as a sacred text: they simply wanted those who ‘felt excluded’ from its pages to ‘write themselves in’.

And so one writer has altered the first line of Genesis from ‘In the beginning God created Heaven and Earth’ to 'In the beginning, God (me) I created religion.’ Another has written ‘The Gospel According to Luke Skywalker’ (Cranmer suspects one of the Jedi fraternity). But the principal expression has been one of blaspemous derision: one message says ‘F*** the Bible’.

A spokesman for the Roman Catholic Church said: “One wonders whether the organisers would have been quite as willing to have the Koran defaced.”

Answer: ‘No’.

Reason: ‘Most Christians are a pushover; some Muslims are likely to riot, cause criminal damage or threaten death’.

http://archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.com/ ... bible.html

The Koran:

A British National Party election candidate accused of publicly burning a copy of the Koran was freed today when the charge against him was unexpectedly dropped.

Sion Owens (41) of Bonymaen, Swansea, South Wales, was arrested and charged at the weekend under Britain's Public Order Act.

The BNP candidate in next month’s Welsh Assembly elections spent the weekend in custody before appearing at Swansea Magistrates’ Court.

He was warned today that police are continuing to investigate the alleged incident and to expect further action.

It is understood that his release was due to a technicality regarding the Act under which he was arrested and charged.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing23.html

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Desecrated Bible=art; Desecrated Koran = jail time Apr 12, 2011
Well EH, it isn't that long ago that our friend Zubber posted two images which greatly offended me. One was of Jesus with his arms outstretched with graffiti scawled over it and the other was of the Bible, with some reference to it being autographed.
I replied with a cartoon image of the Prophet (PBUH LOL) and an advertisement for Lego, to build your own Mohammed, with pieces for 24 wives including the caption that it was suitable for 6+.
Major sense of humour failure for the old Muslims! It was pointed out that people had died for less!

Needless to say, only my post was removed and Zubber's remained.

Just proves that to be a Muslim, you have to have your sense of humour by-passed.
Bethsmum

Re: Desecrated Bible=art; Desecrated Koran = Jail Time Apr 12, 2011
No fair BM!!! I think I have a great sense of humor. But, it depends on what I find funny and what I don't find funny. When it comes to religion I think lines need to drawn as I personally do not see humor in it when one oversteps those lines and it becomes offensive.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Well EH, it isn't that long ago that our friend Zubber posted two images which greatly offended me.

LOL you know you are not meant to be offended if you are a disbeliever Missy, your return of -below the waistline pictures which depicts the prophet of islam shows how insensitive you are towards religion anyway..

Major sense of humour failure for the old Muslims!

It's not failure of muslim sense of humour, it is total failure of your virtues..

Even though I don't approve zubber's pasting of such pictures in an open forum,..those pictures were explaining one thing to me and that is how far the western disbelivers could stretch themselves to turn religion into mokery and fun (entertainment), messing with belivers emotions.(And I think this is what zubber wanted to display when it also wasn't the right thing to do for him as well.)

I asked you to open the link http://www.hookedonads.com/jesus-the-fish-was-this-big/ and write a letter to this jewish M&C Saatchi in protest...Your reply to me was that you wouldn't open the link, another words you couldn't give a toss about it.., and that just shows how insincere you are at your feelings which I call total hypocracy..
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Berrin wrote:..those pictures were explaining one thing to me and that is how far the western disbelivers could stretch themselves to turn religion into mokery and fun (entertainment), messing with belivers emotions.(And I think this is what zubber wanted to display when it also wasn't the right thing to do for him as well.)
....and that just shows how insincere you are at your feelings which I call total hypocracy..

While condemning Zubber from one side of your mouth, you can justify Zubber's pictures. Well, if someone who isn't Muslim (and could be considered a disbeliever in Islam) could put a spin on BM's pictures and call it "humor", would you accept it? Highly unlikely you would find the humor in it and would go off on how offensive and inappropriate they are. And you call BM a hypocrite?? :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Desecrated Bible=art; Desecrated Koran = jail time Apr 13, 2011
While condemning Zubber from one side of your mouth, you can justify Zubber's pictures.

No madam, it is not justifying, it is trying to understand his motives behind pasting such pictures..
What I think he was trying to express was that while bible is a holy book as it is (bible picture),some people could indeed take something out of holy, to be a mere subject of ridicule (entertainment).(picture depicts prophet jesus with arms streched out and mocking words on it)
Should zubber have repeated the same ridicule on an open forum in pursuit to demonstrate how religion can be used for entertainment? No ofcourse not..Islam forbids to reveal rudeness performed by others. We are meant to be covering not revealing..

Well, if someone who isn't Muslim (and could be considered a disbeliever in Islam) could put a spin on BM's pictures and call it "humor", would you accept it?

The problem with some disbelievers is that becouse they don't care or have great sense of what religion is teaching, they go with their own self professed instincts..They look at things from one prespective (in this case trying to find homour) and ignore the other, when it actually can mean a lot to others in terms of ethics, as well as belief in messengers that are representative figures of divine message.

And you call BM a hypocrite??

Noone can be called hypocrite unless they conciously display kind of attitude that resembles hypocrisy.
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Desecrated Bible=art; Desecrated Koran = jail time Apr 13, 2011
Berrin wrote:
While condemning Zubber from one side of your mouth, you can justify Zubber's pictures.

No madam, it is not justifying, it is trying to understand his motives behind pasting such pictures..
What I think he was trying to express was that while bible is a holy book as it is (bible picture),some people could indeed take something out of holy, to be a mere subject of ridicule (entertainment).(picture depicts prophet jesus with arms streched out and mocking words on it)
Should zubber have repeated the same ridicule on an open forum in pursuit to demonstrate how religion can be used for entertainment? No ofcourse not..Islam forbids to reveal rudeness performed by others. We are meant to be covering not revealing..

Well, if someone who isn't Muslim (and could be considered a disbeliever in Islam) could put a spin on BM's pictures and call it "humor", would you accept it?

The problem with some disbelievers is that becouse they don't care or have great sense of what religion is teaching, they go with their own self professed instincts..They look at things from one prespective (in this case trying to find homour) and ignore the other, when it actually can mean a lot to others in terms of ethics, as well as belief in messengers that are representative figures of divine message.

And you call BM a hypocrite??

Noone can be called hypocrite unless they conciously display kind of attitude that resembles hypocrisy.

What a contradiction. Bible = humor, Koran = Offensive "joke"?

Can't wait till someone posts something against Islam/the Koran, which in all probability meant to be offensive, and see your humorous interpretation of it. Pffff.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Desecrated Bible=art; Desecrated Koran = Jail Time Apr 14, 2011
I can at some extend understand BM point of view (whether i agree or not) but Berrin and Zubber...its a big NO....no justification for jokes about Jesus or bible or any other belief... this is the basics of believers "I" guess!!!!
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Re: Desecrated Bible=art; Desecrated Koran = jail time Apr 16, 2011
I don't think think Britain values one religion more then another.She acts this way because in Britain most of the Christians and Jews won't care or say something like 'barbarics!' but nothing more then that. On the other side, there are a lot of radical Muslims in Britain that can start rioting over it or try to have revenge. Last time a Koran was burned in the US, about 10 UN people were killed and beheaded in Afghanistan as revenge.
Nony
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Desecrated Bible=art; Desecrated Koran = jail time Apr 16, 2011
But in this case, it's not simply the British state taking a passive role in dealing with private citizens who choose to desecrate either books but an active role where the state actually funds an exhibit where the Bible is desecrated in a variety of ways and intervenes if individuals burn their own private property as an expression of free speech.

I agree with you that the reactions between Muslims and Christians (and Jews) is entirely different - Muslims automatically respond with violence and threats to any 'attack' on their religion whereas a Christian may respond with a blog posting where he is careful to tone down his outrage lest he be accused of religious fanaticism and compared to al-Qaeda terrorists.

However, the liberals/Left, in which the British state seems to be swamped with, especially on a bureaucratic 'politically correct' level, has developed antagonistically to the West. Whatever is seen to hurt the West is good to the Left (Bible/flag burning, attacks against conservative family values and Judeo/Christian principles) and at the same time, the Left is working to supplant Western values by the promotion of non-Western ones. Destroy and replace is the name of the game in the Leftist manifesto.
event horizon

Re: Desecrated Bible=art; Desecrated Koran = Jail Time Apr 16, 2011
That's so true... The left is doing to the West in the last 50 years what Soviet Russia never even dreamed of.
Britain especially is a great (if the THE) hotspot for that kind of leftist thinking. I think that's whats behind the Brit passive stance to those 'artists'.
Besides, artists are known to be anti Western for ages. Rare to find a patriotic artist in the West those days.
But I think this anti Western leftists aren't going to grow in power. Its only down from here for them with the growing demographic problems in Europe and America that give power to the right wing parties (including the extreme ones).
Nony
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk