Burkha Wearer In Go-kart Accident

Topic locked
burkha wearer in go-kart accident Apr 09, 2010
A woman had died after her burkha became snagged in a go-kart.

The 24-year-old woman, who has not yet been named, died a terrifying death today when a fluttering part of her burkha became caught in the wheels of a go-kart she was driving near the town of Port Stephens, north of Sydney.

The clothing the woman was wearing flew back as she sped around the track and part of it became entangled in the go-kart's wheels.

She was strangled in a second and crashed the vehicle.

Despite the efforts of paramedics who rushed to her aid, the neck and throat injuries she suffered were so severe that doctors were unable to revive her when she arrived at the John Hunter Hospital in the New South Wales city of Newcastle. [deleted a word here]

[Edit by Shafique - I'm deleting the pure flaming posts below, as they serve no purpose - and have also deleted one word from chev's post above. I've also changed the title to a more objective one. It was touch and go as to whether I should delete the whole thread - it doesn't seem to be serving much purpose, but I've chosen to leave the factual story above intact.]

chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Re: burkha wearer in go-kart accident Apr 09, 2010
I will be importing GO KARTS real soon
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Re: burkha wearer in go-kart accident Apr 09, 2010
chevaliers-de-sion wrote:A woman had died after her burkha became snagged in a go-kart.

The 24-year-old woman, who has not yet been named, died a terrifying death today when a fluttering part of her burkha became caught in the wheels of a go-kart she was driving near the town of Port Stephens, north of Sydney.

The clothing the woman was wearing flew back as she sped around the track and part of it became entangled in the go-kart's wheels.

She was strangled in a second and crashed the vehicle.

Despite the efforts of paramedics who rushed to her aid, the neck and throat injuries she suffered were so severe that doctors were unable to revive her when she arrived at the John Hunter Hospital in the New South Wales city of Newcastle. [deleted]

I think they meant an "abaya,' not the face burkh.

Moslem women should not to wear the abaya in other liberal countries. The abaya is more of a traditional piece of clothes, rather than a religious requirement. Wearing modest clothes and putting on the head scarf is all that’s required. At least that’s what I was told by many Moslem ladies.

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: burkha wearer in go-kart accident Apr 10, 2010
Tom Jones wrote:[deleted as just a quote of first post]

Moslem women should not to wear the abaya in other liberal countries. The abaya is more of a traditional piece of clothes, rather than a religious requirement. Wearing modest clothes and putting on the head scarf is all that’s required. At least that’s what I was told by many Moslem ladies.

8) 8)

Tom, some refer to the "burka" when I woman covers her face with the veil (not the Afghani burka!). Religious muslim women wear the face veil in the States, along with gloves. Rather than wear abayas, there is this "coat" that they wear.

But all of that is beside the point.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Most important: is the go-kart being repairable :) :)
nostradamus
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Bora Bora wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:[deleted as just a quote of first post]

8) 8)

Tom, some refer to the "burka" when I woman covers her face with the veil (not the Afghani burka!). Religious muslim women wear the face veil in the States, along with gloves. Rather than wear abayas, there is this "coat" that they wear.

But all of that is beside the point.

You outta know BB.

You certainly know more than I do when it comes to these things.

I stand corrected!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: burkha wearer in go-kart accident Apr 11, 2010
Unbelievable that she was allowed to drive that kart in the first place. Every type of loose clothing is unacceptable on go-karts.

A bikini would have been a smarter option. Although the charm of wearing a garbage bag over your head doesn't really make one aerodynamically fit for first place in a race.

Perhaps a stylish swimsuit is a more suitable solution for use in go-kart racing?

RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

This is a terrible story. I feel so bad for her family! I know a family back home whose kid's long hair got caught in a home-made go-kart and she was badly injured, though not dead. Anything loose and flowing near moving mechanical parts is a disaster waiting to happen.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

As MR Wilder would say More proof that Islam is hazardous to one's health!

also Burka is a fundaMENTAL constitutional right and should be forced upon every woman.
nostradamus
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: burkha wearer in go-kart accident Apr 12, 2010
yes dont blame the people who are responsible for the safety of human beings on go kart tracks but blame the muslim woman for wearing a burka/hijaab etc etc

This wouldnt have happened if the safety ppl had stepped in and said maam you cannt wear that because it is dangerous. Did they do that? I dont think so. Go on any go karting track and its the safety guys duty to make sure you are wearing the correct clothing and your buckled in safely.

Am suprised they havent been sued yet!!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: burkha wearer in go-kart accident Apr 13, 2010
kanelli wrote:This is a terrible story. I feel so bad for her family! I know a family back home whose kid's long hair got caught in a home-made go-kart and she was badly injured, though not dead. Anything loose and flowing near moving mechanical parts is a disaster waiting to happen.

Nice hearing from you Kanelli!! Miss your good posts!!!

Stop by more often!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: burkha wearer in go-kart accident Apr 14, 2010
My cousin a couple of weeks ago got her scarf caught the same way as this women did in a gokart, but she was lucky enough to have escaped.
Her whole neck was swollen and bruised, according to the doctor if it was pulled any tighter it could have been fatal
MethoD
Dubai Forums Frequenter

MethoD wrote:My cousin a couple of weeks ago got her scarf caught the same way as this women did in a gokart, but she was lucky enough to have escaped.
Her whole neck was swollen and bruised, according to the doctor if it was pulled any tighter it could have been fatal

how can the scarf be loose if they are wearing helmets?

I cant believe that the safety guys didnt stop her from going on the track because they give you a drivers suit to wear to make sure there are no loose clothings etc etc.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Death by burka! Sad story, but they shouldn't have let her use the go kart if there was loose material about.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Safety Marshals FAIL
desertdudeshj

Chocoholic wrote:Death by burka! Sad story, but they shouldn't have let her use the go kart if there was loose material about.

EXACTLY!!!

they should sue the kart ppl!!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: burkha wearer in go-kart accident Apr 15, 2010
It is possible to wear modest dress and cover one's head while go-karting, it just needs to be more form-fitting, so this tragedy did not have to happen. If someone were to insist on doing sporting events with dangerous loose clothing, then they need to realize that those safety people can stop them from participating, because they are the ones who will be sued in the end.

p.s. Burkinis are great if it means that women can enjoy a swim! It pisses me off to see women excluded from so many fun activities because of the requirement to keep almost all skin under wraps.

Thanks Tom, been busy with my two little ones and studying and looking at going back to work... I sometimes check out the forum when I have a bit of time.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

I guess the woman I saw getting off the lift yesterday was planning on doing some go karting.

Head scarf on with full makeup wearing a tight, form fitting, above the knee black dress, that was sleeveless. :roll: Or was she possibly thinking of converting to Islam and wanted to see if she was still "pretty" wearing a head scarf? :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Or maybe a Jacky Kenedy impersonator :D

desertdudeshj

Re: burkha wearer in go-kart accident Apr 17, 2010
Just because someone wears a headscarf doesn't mean it has anything to do with Islam. Many women wear them for fashion, to stop their hair getting messed up etc etc.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Still trying to work this one out.

Normally, if one is driving a go-kart, they issue you a crash helmet and giant romper suit. The helmet is full faced and would cover her more effectively than any sheila or burkha, so why was she still wearing one?

The operators of the go-kart centre should not have allowed her to drive in unsuitable clothing and she should not have attempted to wear her head covering whilst participating in a motor sport. 50/50 there.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

desertdudeshj wrote:Or maybe a Jacky Kenedy impersonator :D

Ahh if she was wearing pants with that dress and scarf, it was like normal outfit in Iran!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Her nose is like Miss piggy. Am I the only one who noticed that? :lol:
RobbyG

RobbyG wrote:Her nose is like Miss piggy. Am I the only one who noticed that? :lol:

If only she was wearing pants she could have been from Iran!!!! :D 8)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: burkha wearer in go-kart accident Apr 18, 2010
rudeboy wrote:
MethoD wrote:My cousin a couple of weeks ago got her scarf caught the same way as this women did in a gokart, but she was lucky enough to have escaped.

how can the scarf be loose if they are wearing helmets?

I cant believe that the safety guys didnt stop her from going on the track because they give you a drivers suit to wear to make sure there are no loose clothings etc etc.

they dont wear helmets at the place she went to (i guess she is half to blame too) the go-karts dont go very fast
MethoD
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: burkha wearer in go-kart accident Apr 19, 2010
Obviously fast enough to kill someone.

There was a famous ballet dancer, Isadora Duncan, who died when her scarf caught in the spoked wheel of her sportscar when she was driving.

History teaches us nothing?

:? :? :?

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: burkha wearer in go-kart accident Apr 19, 2010
I don't think it's so much about history - in this it was a lack of common sense. The person running the ride should have known better. I'm sure there there had to be at least one incident in the past where someone's clothing go tangled in the kart.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: burkha wearer in go-kart accident Apr 20, 2010
The person running the ride should have known better. I'm sure there there had to be at least one incident in the past where someone's clothing go tangled in the kart.

[color=#FF0040]Need one say more woman should not be allowed to drive[/color] as for the remark about person running the ride should have known better
so should she! ,but then she was from a third world country and they are known for their lack of health and safety
Why do cleaver/dumb people relay on other persons for their health and safety?
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Re: burkha wearer in go-kart accident Apr 20, 2010
thanks for information

------------------------
rajniaggarwal.com
lovinobra.com
bestastrologysolutions.com
vipinkumar123
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: burkha wearer in go-kart accident Apr 21, 2010
chevaliers-de-sion wrote:
The person running the ride should have known better. I'm sure there there had to be at least one incident in the past where someone's clothing go tangled in the kart.

[color=#FF0040]Need one say more woman should not be allowed to drive[/color] as for the remark about person running the ride should have known better
so should she! ,but then she was from a third world country and they are known for their lack of health and safety
Why do cleaver/dumb people relay on other persons for their health and safety?

Good thing we don't take serious statements made by cleaver/dumb people as well. :roll:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk