Wireless Cable Modem Frequent Disconnection

Topic locked
Wireless cable modem frequent disconnection Mar 02, 2009
Hi all,
Help needed desperately.
I am residing in Abu Dhabi.
I had a cable modem motorola for almost 5 years till end of 2008.
I used to get frequent disconnection from the net after which I had to switch off and on my modem. It used to work fine then. But the frequency of disconnection increased and after complaining to Etisalat they changed my modem to thomson wireless cable modem from December 2008. They claimed it was a modem problem.
The new modem worked fine for a few days after which the disconnection started again.
After calling etisalat and a few technicians visiting doing god knows what, still without any success, the last tech who came in said it might be a virus causing the disconnection.....????????
OK, I clean formatted & reinstalled my pc os (xp pro).
Still the problem persists at least once a day.
Has anyone else encountered this problem?
I have lost all hope with Etisalat finding a solution for this problem and even if they had a solution, very rarely they admit that its their fault.
Please Help. Anyone?????

akantony
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 05, 2009
AAAAAAAAAAAAH...thisis a very usual problem everyone faces.

The solution is simple....frequent disconnection = radio frequency disturbance.

The reason it was working fine before was because there were no radio disturbances from other sources.

like:
-other wirless routers
-microwaves
-constuction

etc.

So now, what you have to do is:
Just change th CHANNEL your router is using.
When you lo into your wireless router, just like all wireless routers, there are CHANNELS to choose from, usually 1-12.

The default is usually 11. Try and change it to 9, then 6, then 3

And see which one works best for you.!

;)
guest999

Mar 24, 2009
The problem is still persisting.
The frequency of disconnection has increased to every 4 to 6 hours daily.
Btw my home pc is also connected to the modem via ethernet cable.
I tried changing the channels as you suggested with no effect.

Thanks.
akantony
Dubai Forum Guest

Apr 13, 2009
Hello. Some routers work better than others. because the 802.11 signal is unregulated in can be interupted by many things including a microwave or phone. Also if you have power illregulatory happening that can effect it. You can buy backups but no guarantee that will fix it. Also some spots build up static electicity and the router will barely broadcast. You can also buy signal boosters and see if that helps. Although they all run the same frez, I've found some devices are just more compatible than others.
canuckbid
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk