Where To Get A Decent Computer

Topic locked
Where to get a decent computer Sep 16, 2008
Where can I go to get a high-end desktop computer? Most of the ones you see in Carefour, Geant etc and the electonics stores like Jumbo are pretty old and crappy.

I'm looking for a store where I can see a list of available parts (Mainboard, graphics cards, RAM etc) and choose the parts I want, then they will build it for me.

Anyone know a store like that in Dubai?

Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Sep 18, 2008
Meh, no replies so I decided to just get one pre-built from the stores.

What is it about computer stores in Dubai? All of them had bugger all in stock. Everytime I found a computer or monitor I liked they told me it was not in stock (only after wasting 10 minutes of my time trying to sell me the non-existant computer of course) :banghead:

Finally found one at CompuMe in Emirates Mall. Got a HP Pavilion. M9342. For the record

2.4Ghz Core 2 Quad
4Gb RAM (Though Vista 32bit will only use 3)
750GB HDD
GeForce 9500 GS
Built in Wireless.

Also got a 22" Viewsonic with Built in mic and webcam.

5.5K well spent... maybe... [tear]
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Sep 20, 2008
Hi

Sorry for the late reply. For 5.5 i guess you could have spent something a little mor decsent. Either way, you have some issues:

1. Get rid of the 3GB and place only 2. 2GB running in dual model will yield better results than 3 running in single channel mode.

2. What will you use the PC for? Gaming, graphix, etc?? This will make the contents more favorable to your need.

3. The Motherboard of HP is S***!! I mean it. You should have gone for a better board like an Asus Stiker or similar. HP Board are stock and therefore cant be tweaked or really overclocked to get the real performance from your processor

4. Quad is good. But do you need it? A dual core 2 duo at 2.6 would have done it.

I know its late but just FYI for the future. Best place is Sky Electronics. or Build one. If you need someone to build it, PM me for a contact. He custom builds all my units with quality stuff. May cost but they last a lifetime.
vicarage
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2008
3. I know. I've built my own PC for the last 7 years, but when I came here I had to get rid of all my old spare parts and, as I said, I couldn't find a decent computer parts store.

I usually build a system using Asus, love the MBs.

I was so frustrated at seeing crap computers and them not having a computer in stock when I wanted it that I just grabbed the first decent one I could find.

Going to use it for lots of things. Programming, Media server, games, etc. It's not top of the line I know, but it should run Dx10 games OK. As I said, it was just so frustrating trying to find a PC here. In Australia there is the awesome store Umart, where you can find anything and everything really cheap. Direct from Taiwan, that's the best way.

4: I know nothing really utilizes quad core tech right now, but they will soon. I'll maybe even play around with some multithreaded programming to see what it can do.

Thanks for the comments. I might play around with the memory as you said. Test out what is the best combo.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Sep 23, 2008
Captain, glad you posted this question. I assumed that when we arrive I could get a decent one off the shelf etc.

Fancy building one for me? Ha ha just kidding.
seardarren
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 24, 2008
hi guys...

if you need a custom pc with all the goodies and are willing to pay the price. let me know i can hook you up with the best products out there. got access to everything available in any market (WORLWIDE)
azm786
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 25, 2008
You're too late for me azm787. But thanks.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Sep 25, 2008
np u are welcome
azm786
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk