Hotbird In Dubai

Topic locked
Hotbird in Dubai Oct 29, 2006
Hello everybody !

I will move soon to live in Dubai and I would like to bring with me my satellite decoder with Italian Sky bouquet.

In Italy the standard dish pointing is on Hotbird 13° E: do you know what's the standard in Dubai ? Will it be a problem to repoint it on Hotbird ? Also, in a standard apartment to rent, will I find a shared dish or everybody have its own on the balcony ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

Manugk
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 29, 2006
depending on the area but most high rises have a central dish and don't allow you to put a dish on the balcony, if you live in a low rise or a villa you'll likely be able to put a dish up (obviously depending on the specific building you end up living in)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Oct 29, 2006
Thanks for your reply Fayz. Do you know what's the standard satellite in Dubai ?
Manugk
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 29, 2006
i'm not sure but I would guess Nilesat, you can access Hotbird13 in the UAE though, I'm just not sure what the legalities are and how it all work, there would be other people on here that can better answer the question.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Oct 30, 2006
Check http://www.lyngsat.com to know all the satellites positions and programs. It has SatTracker that can tell if you can point (azimuth, elevation) to specific satellite from any place in the world.

Apparently you still can point to Hotbird 13°E from Dubai (azimuth to South West, elevation about 34°).

Manugk, would you stay in the same apt building with me and share your Sky channels (Milan Channel to be exact) :D
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 30, 2006
Lol, I should guess from your avatar... But am I wrong or last saturday you was not happy at all ? :wink:

Anywyas, I know that you can catch Hotbird from Dubai, the only thing is if I could manage to point my dish there... All depends where I will stay and if the place will have a central dish or personal ones...
Just I was wondering what is the standard in Dubai (in Italy hotbird IS the standard and 99% dishes are pointing there...)

Greetings from Milano !
Manugk
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 30, 2006
Yeah, last Saturday was like being hit by a sledge hammer! There's no way Inter can beat Milan :D But overall I'm quite satisfied with Milan's fighting spirits, seeing their poor performance in the last few games. The best derby so far, second to 6-0 win few seasons ago :D

I suppose if it's digital and not required a big dish, I guess it should be Ok. Now all you need is to find the apartment that allow you to put it on the roof (even if they have already a central dish). Or better put in in your villa's backyard ;) Mostly they point to Nilesat (pay TV).

As of the legality, I'm not sure but I think it's legal. You're not hacking UAE pay-TV anyway. And for sure you're not using hacked smartcard, are you? ;)

Hmm... you're from Milano? Love the city. Been there couple of times (easy to guess: to watch football at San Siro and bought fans stuffs). Care to bring me some Milan stuffs? Or hacked Sky (Milan Channel) smartcard? :oops: :D
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 30, 2006
With pleasure I can bring you anything you want from Milan.
Unfortunately Sky Tv now is using an high encription standard and cards are not hackable anymore...
Btw, did you try www.coolstreaming.com ? Maybe you can view Milan Channel for free there... For sure you can see all the matches from Chinese/Arab/American channels...
Manugk
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 31, 2006
Thanks in advance. When you'll be coming? The rest we'll do by PM ;)

BTW, apparently coolstreaming.com has been defunct (?). Tried few streams, (one of them is http://wwitv.com) but can't find Milan Channel yet. After all, most of the stream quality is not very good (I'd like to record or something).
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 31, 2006
Try coolstreaming.us

I don't know when I'll move to Dxb, I am currently looking for a suitable position... Hope to be asap ! :)
Manugk
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 11, 2006
I have been given a 95 cm dish by a friend, is this sufficient to get Hotbird from Dubai ?
kaneda
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Nov 12, 2006
kaneda wrote:I have been given a 95 cm dish by a friend, is this sufficient to get Hotbird from Dubai ?

Digital satellite channels need not big dish. 95cm is standard and should be more than sufficient. The only thing is for you to get the decoder (and smart card for pay TV).
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 12, 2006
OT: Nice win by Roma ;)
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 12, 2006
liverpool4ever wrote:OT: Nice win by Roma ;)

Cr@p! Lost again :( What the he|| happen to my Milan nowadays :(
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 12, 2006
there are lots of hot birds in dubai 8)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 12, 2006
MaaaD wrote:there are lots of hot birds in dubai 8)

Hehe you cheeky boy :lol:
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk