IP Addresses How Do I Figure It Out.

Topic locked
IP addresses how do I figure it out. Mar 23, 2008
Here is my question:

I have set up a second slingbox (different tv viewing choices at home) but during the set up I got some message that stated something like "this IP ### #### ### ### is already being used for one device chose another". I simply changed the last 3 digits randomly and it work. However, now when I sign up sometimes one of the devices is shown as "available" but the other states "shortcut" (and give an error message and wonlt let me view it). I was thinking that I chose the wrong IP (if there is such a think). Here is the question how do I know what IP is/are available from my service provider (at home)? Thanks.

By the way, NetNannies please do not remove to "high geek" section as I don't know who those cats are in there but I might trust some in the General Section, etc.

Thanks again.

p.s. Did I mentioned I am computer illiterate? oh, and can't spell either.

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 23, 2008
Hey Concs...are both your boxes at the same place? I am assuming UK? Changing the last 3 digits sounds a little much(usually only 1) should work. If you can set up a static IP for each device, that would be best. Usually they are just sequential, like 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, etc. No two devices can have the same IP, so if you have a dynamic IP, and there are routers, slingboxes, etc at that location, could be trouble.

Those boxes are a bit of a whore to set up. I am not a cyber-geek either. All the above jibberish I learned setting up me own evil box (which has since s.hit the sheets)
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Mar 24, 2008
dubaidog wrote:Hey Concs...are both your boxes at the same place? I am assuming UK? Changing the last 3 digits sounds a little much(usually only 1) should work. If you can set up a static IP for each device, that would be best. Usually they are just sequential, like 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, etc. No two devices can have the same IP, so if you have a dynamic IP, and there are routers, slingboxes, etc at that location, could be trouble.

Those boxes are a bit of a whore to set up. I am not a cyber-geek either. All the above jibberish I learned setting up me own evil box (which has since s.hit the sheets)

I see the Net Nannies did not listen. Well they are sh!theads so predictable.

Anyway I did change the numbers but randomnly and I was wondering whether there is a place for a "list" of addressess, etc. Yes it is sling box and I have 2 (the second one seems to be working fine for the last couple of days - first one works always).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 09, 2008
The reason is because the IP address was assigned to it by DHCP. If you can login to your router you should always be able to see what IP addresses they have.
compevo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2008
Sounds like at least one of the devices has a static IP. Set both devices to use DICKP (DHCP) lol...
Reboot both devices seperately. should all be good after that. :)
dmach12001
Dubai Forum Guest

hai Jan 06, 2009
i have question and i think IP Address involve in my query..
I bought IP Phone in korea, they usually call it Internet Phone, which is cheaper calls from dubai to korea with the same unit... but i am having a problem for the installation because of restriction here in dubai.. it's really sucks! how come they blocked sites which is really very useful for foreigners... I am not good at networking so i hope someone can help me.. at home i am using my own internet connection but i am not using router only external modem and attached to etisalat wall port... then i can able to use wireless or cable wired internet connection....
by the way are u familiar with IP Phone?? i think most countries have that kind of phone which can be use abroad and can use it using iinternet.. please help me with this matter... thanks in advance...
nabi
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: hai Mar 20, 2009
nabi wrote:i have question and i think IP Address involve in my query..
I bought IP Phone in korea, they usually call it Internet Phone, which is cheaper calls from dubai to korea with the same unit... but i am having a problem for the installation because of restriction here in dubai.. it's really sucks! how come they blocked sites which is really very useful for foreigners... I am not good at networking so i hope someone can help me.. at home i am using my own internet connection but i am not using router only external modem and attached to etisalat wall port... then i can able to use wireless or cable wired internet connection....
by the way are u familiar with IP Phone?? i think most countries have that kind of phone which can be use abroad and can use it using iinternet.. please help me with this matter... thanks in advance...

Most countries now are having IP Phone... it is most likely use in abroad...
inindix
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

undefined Aug 08, 2015
if I'm ajman Uae and wanted to change my IP Address what should i change it to?
sosozein
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk