Working Hours

Topic locked
Working hours Aug 29, 2007
Can anyone tell me the working hours in Dubai?
I have heard 9-12 and 3-9 or is it more like the wests 9-6?
Also how many hours per week and annual vacation days do you get.
The company I am thinking of is a Dubai company but probably very western orientated in the private sector.

boris2007
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Aug 29, 2007
Hours depend on the company you work for. Banks typically start around 8:30-9:30 a.m. and work till 4:30 p.m. - 6 p.m. Consulting jobs typicall require you to work between 10-12 hours a day, 5 days a week. You should get about a month of vacation every year.
syiem
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2007
Hours and holidays slightly less than you'd expect in Europe, only slightly. No major company will split the day as you indicate unless you're on shop floor level.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 02, 2007
the labour law describes the hours of work as follows:

non-retail sector 48 hours per week
retail/ hotel and service industry 54 hours a week

this used to be split as 8 hours x 6 days a week and 9 hours x 6 days a week respectively. with the introduction of a 2 day week-end, many companies require thier staff to make up the shortfall of 6 or 9 hours for which they are paid over the period of the 5 days worked.

the split work day as pointed out below is normally only in some retail sectors (not all) and is a kind of throwback to siesta time. its actually a waste of time as many employees cannot afford to go home in the middle of the day, also the midday traffic between dubai and sharjah is a testiment to those who do go home!

the law provides for a reduction of 2 hours (worked) per day during the month of ramadan.

annual vacation is normally considered as 30 days per annum, although the law provides for a leave period of only 24 days in the first year of employment and thereafter 30 days per annum - most employers simply give 30 days per calander year. these are inclusive of any public holidays and weekends that would normally fall within the leave period!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum