What Does It Mean To Be AFRICAN BLACK In Dubai?

Topic locked
What does it mean to be AFRICAN BLACK in Dubai? Jul 29, 2006
Am an Black African girl who just graduated from the university back in my country.I came to dubai because I come from a Muslim background and I concluded that U.A.E will be a good place for me to start a career.

Have applied to over 20 offices both in Dubai and Abu dhabi but have come to notice that a BLACK woman is easier to SCREW than put on a DESK here in dubai.Talk about screwing a black woman and he :roll: his eyelids but talk about putting her on a desk and he looks :shock: .

I feel my colour is a big problem here !

Anyone have any suggestions on how i can proceed because i really need a JOB.

ade
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 30, 2006
depends on what you are good at :!:
I-No-Jack
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 30, 2006
I am sorry that you feel this way, i am sure other females will give you better insight into this. But i am interested to know how are you getting to meet those prospective employers ? are you going through recruiters ? or are you meeting them in other places ?

just wanted to put things and context and see why you are treated this way. I have a feeling it has nothing to do with your color, but merely because you are a woman. Not that that makes it any better.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

RE:What does it mean to be AFRICAN BLACK in Dubai? Jul 30, 2006
I have applied through recruiters and I was called up for an interview in Jebel Ali but you could see the disgust on the face of the Interviewer when he saw me.

I know its about my colour but I cant change myself.Its not my fault that am a black Girl !
ade
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 30, 2006
I-No-Jack wrote:depends on what you are good at :!:

Being put on the desk and screwed maybe?
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 30, 2006
Dubai is definately racist - we've got a thread about that somewhere
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 30, 2006
You just have been unlucky to be interviewed by the wrong kind of people. There are some really good companies out there. Just keep trying and dont lose hope. Best of luck!!
Eros
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 30, 2006
You have just graduated from university and you have on experience to offer and you want to get a top job

Ps you have come on here to have more of a laugh then me
nostradamus
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 30, 2006
It can be very difficult to get work in Dubai if you have just graduated and don't have a lot of work experience. On top of this, Dubai is a very racist place, so that doesn't help either. Keep trying though, and apply to the international companies where you might have a better chance.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jul 30, 2006
Ade - it's a numbers game.

I applied to over 120 companies before I came to Dubai and have degrees plus the experience - finally sucess but at less than 1% success rate. I had a photo attached to resume and am very Western looking - obviously this did not help one bit!

You just need to look at job hunting as a job itself and also tell us what degree you did.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 30, 2006
scarlet wrote:You just need to look at job hunting as a job itself and also tell us what degree you did.

Indeed, I came to Dubai because of a girl, and I knew that if I was to stay here I needed to get a job.

It was like Groundhog Day, everday I would:

* Buy the Gulf News and read the appointments, apply for every job that suited me.
* Scour the employment websites, again applying for every job that caught my eye.
* Randomnly emailed companies that were in my target field.
* Would network and get out and meet people
* Posted my info here
* Do it thoroughly, methodically and EVERYDAY!

It was tough, damn tough and often disheartening. But in the end, the job I got was amazing and certainly worth the wait and the effort.

They were some dark days and a lot of effort, but it paid off in the end.

If you're serious about Dubai then this is what you need to do. It's an extremely competitive job market with each position literally getting 1000's of applicants, making it very hard for both employers and employees.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 30, 2006
I studied ECONOMICS
ade
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 30, 2006
OK - so what kind of job are you looking for then
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 30, 2006
I think all the advice above is helpful - heed it.

I would say there is more racism towards indian/pakistanies than anyone else. Being black maybe more of a problem in Europe or US but not in Dubai.

remember you need experience to get a job and you need a job to get experience :!: :roll:
I-No-Jack
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 30, 2006
I-No-Jack wrote:I think all the advice above is helpful - heed it.

I would say there is more racism towards indian/pakistanies than anyone else. Being black maybe more of a problem in Europe or US but not in Dubai.

I agree, remember there are Locals and Arabs who are black. So while Dubai is racist i dont see it as White Vs Black racism .. more racism toward nationality. So if you were an African American you would still be treated differently than if you where from Nigeria. Both are black but one has an American citizenship and the other doesnt. Let me point out that this practice is slowly declining, and multinationals dont even pay attention to it, its just the local companies.

It has been mentioned before, but i want to stress on networking. This forum is a good start. Many of us span many industries and can help you find something, if not we might know of something. I always post opening i hear of from friends here.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 30, 2006
I have many (MANY) black african friends here and they haven't had trouble finding a job. You just have to be more proactive and keep your goal in mind. Don't be phased by set backs - learn from them.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 30, 2006
scarlet wrote: and am very Western looking .

You're not pakistani??
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jul 30, 2006
Shh Fayz - don't tell HP
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 30, 2006
Am actually from Nigeria.So I guess thats a added problem also.
I will stick to ^ian^ suggestion and keep trying because I came here to find a job and am not going to end up doing none.
Thank you all for your advice ;you guys have really been helpful.
ade
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum