Single Girl In Dubai

Topic locked
Single girl in Dubai Feb 07, 2007
Hi, I'm from Australia and will be in Dubai for work for 3 months. I'm a single girl in my twenties and just wondered whether it is acceptable or common (or safe?) for women to be out and about by themselves at night (eg. going out to a pub or having a meal etc)?

I apologise in advance if this sounds like a silly and ignorant question! I have never been to Dubai (or thought I would ever go there!) and not quite sure what to expect.

Thanks

melbournegirl
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 07, 2007
well dubai is known to be safe for anybody to go out, even after midnight. Dont worry about that. Even the women in the forum can tell you that
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 07, 2007
second bleak on that its one of the safest places, if ur good looking u might get stared at :) but no one would go beyond that, if someone troubles u just call the cops and they will take care of his sorry a$$.

cheers,

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 07, 2007
i wonder if cops should use paintball guns if someone decides to make a run for it. I know the SWAT team in the states use pepper paintball balls that can slow down people. what do you think?
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 07, 2007
Thanks guys, that's good to hear...looking forward to checking out what Dubai has to offer during my stay!
melbournegirl
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 07, 2007
Welcome to DF and have a great visit to Dubai.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 07, 2007
Bleakus wrote:i wonder if cops should use paintball guns if someone decides to make a run for it. I know the SWAT team in the states use pepper paintball balls that can slow down people. what do you think?

Jesus - get over this paint ball thing - what's wrong with you!!
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 07, 2007
^^hahaha
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 07, 2007
Bleakus wrote:well dubai is known to be safe for anybody to go out, even after midnight. Dont worry about that. Even the women in the forum can tell you that

Tell that to the girl who accepted a lift from some guys in a black hummer at the Madinat.

Silly thing to do maybe, but you still need to use some common sense.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 07, 2007
benwj wrote:
Bleakus wrote:well dubai is known to be safe for anybody to go out, even after midnight. Dont worry about that. Even the women in the forum can tell you that

Tell that to the girl who accepted a lift from some guys in a black hummer at the Madinat.

Silly thing to do maybe, but you still need to use some common sense.

give me her phone number and i will tell her
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 08, 2007
benwj wrote:

What happened to her? And the guys?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 08, 2007
gtmash wrote:
benwj wrote:

What happened to her? And the guys?

5 guys and one girl in the desert... Use your imagination.

The guys got 2 years in jail and she got a very sore :shock:
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 08, 2007
I'd hate to be a single woman in Dubai.

I think Dubai is 'safer' than many places, but you still need to be wary that nowhere is 100% safe. (Fayz and I had this very discussion the other night)

Due to the ratio of males to females here, I think harassment can be a big issue.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 08, 2007
i think that anywhere else is the same dude
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 08, 2007
Bleakus wrote:i think that anywhere else is the same dude

Well, culturally not really in Australia. Harassment happens, but not to the extent it's reported on here.

Mostly because the females outnumber the males in Australia. That and Australian women are quite forthright in their nature. They WILL tell you to 'piss off' if you bother them.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 08, 2007
I think we've been lulled into a false sense of security here and that perhaps things are not quite as safe as they used to be. You should use your common sense the same as you would anywhere else - especially when you've had a glass or two of the amber nectar.
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 08, 2007
Hi guys, thanks for your thoughts. :D

From reading stuff, it seems like Dubai has a relatively low crime rate etc. but yeah, was more wondering about what it was like for a single girl going out at night in terms of lewd remarks, harrassment, that sorta stuff. But agree re: the fact that this would probably happen to some extent to any single girl out by herself at a pub or whatever at night...and just have to exercise common sense..!
melbournegirl
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 08, 2007
thats depends where you are in oz, i wouldn't wonder around parramatta at night, not unless you were looking for some pain..
Tups
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum