Self Employment - Visa Type Needed??

Topic locked
Self Employment - visa type needed?? Sep 16, 2008
I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere else, so perhaps someone can help..

I plan to move to Dubai early next year. Initially, I will be renting a house but plan to look for and buy a property whilst renting.

I work for myself with no staff.

What type of visa would I require for this and how do I go about obtaining one?

I did read that one can obtain a visa by buying a property, but the chances are that my property search will take several months, maybe even more than a year.

sboxster
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 16, 2008
Investor visa if you invest with a UAE company (see UAE visa table).
Or set up as a freelancer in one of the free zones (cheapest way) or a free zone company (see UAE free zones).
Or if you have a free visa on arrival passport, do a visa run to Oman every month (but that has its limitations).
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 16, 2008
Sorry, should have made myself clearer. I work from home, and want advice on getting a visa to allow me to stay in Dubai on that basis.

The advice I seek is about obtaining a visa, not setting up a business.
sboxster
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 16, 2008
Yes, that's what I understood. Unless you're a housewife with a husband to sponsor you, same answers apply :).
bonk

Sep 16, 2008
You have to get a work visa under one of the freezones then I'm afriad. Residence/visit visas do not allow you to work.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 16, 2008
Apologies, maybe I'm being stupid here. I want to work from home, and I want my home to be where I want it to be, not necessarily in a specified free zone, so how do I achieve this?

And FYI I'm a man with a family, if this helps.

And my business is already up and running and is international, so it's not like I need any permission to run it. I ran it from the Burj Al Arab Hotel for two weeks last year.

Surely someone here must work for themselves and can give me some help?
sboxster
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 16, 2008
Let me jump in as well.

Legally you cannot work form home without a work permit, in order to get this you have to work for a registered company, start your own or, as was pointed out get a freelancer visa through one of the freezones.

You may not represent yourself in the UAE as a business entity without registration (which includes doing a spot of freelancing from home), in this part of the world it is considered fraud and you can go to jail for it.

The same applies to working without a valid work permit; you can under extreme circumstances be arrested and jailed/ fined or even deported.

Most things in Dubai revolve around money, company registration is the vehicle the government and municipality use to regulate business and generate revenue through.

At the moment the only way you can get "permanent" residency in the UAE (as a foreigner) without being employed by someone, is to either start your own business (investor visa or FZ freelance visa) or buy a property in which case the developer (if reputable) will be able to sponsor you for residence (residence only - not work)

the freezone option is by far the easiest and safer route.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 16, 2008
the freelancer visa allows you to work from home, but the registered company address must be in the FZ
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 16, 2008
Money is not an issue for me - the business is 100% web based and is currently run as an offshore Ltd company, which I see no reason to change. Surely there must be a way for me to do this - I will be investing a small fortune in property.

Perhaps, reading between the lines, the simple option is to simply obtain a resident's visa when I buy my property and just keep quiet about my business?
sboxster
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 16, 2008
:wink:

that does it. just keep a very low profile
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 16, 2008
Thanks. Or if I wanted to be legit I could stick the AED 70k into a local business and get an investor visa?
sboxster
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 16, 2008
would cost you a lot more than 70K got a local business start-up, the company has to be financed to a tune of 300k on registration. add to that all the registration and legal costs ... etc

70k should however get you a freelance visa at media city though ...
i may have some contact details somewhere, let me check i'll get back to you in 5 min
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 16, 2008
sent you a pm, hope this helps
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 16, 2008
Thanks, but as I haven't made 10 posts yet I am banned from picking up or sending pm's - not a very helpful feature.

Can u email it to me please at r7689n@live.co.uk and post here when u have done so, as it's an account I don't check very often?

Thanks in advance
sboxster
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 17, 2008
dbxsoul wrote:would cost you a lot more than 70K got a local business start-up, the company has to be financed to a tune of 300k on registration. add to that all the registration and legal costs ... etc

I meant something different. Instead of you setting up a business, you invest 70k into someone else's UAE business as an investor and get a visa that way. I think it has to be with an Emirati. I don't know any further details, it's just one of the visa types I'm vaguely aware of.

I give up on sboxster though. I know exactly what s/he is asking. There must be a new feature on the forum that translates my replies into Oompa Loompa language or something equally obscure :roll: .
bonk

Sep 17, 2008
Many thanks. Despite the apparent confusion, your replies have been super-helpful, as have all the others.

The 70k thing is exactly as I understood it - I put 70k into a business venture that is with an Emirati and that qualifies me for the investor visa.

My son also thinks that if I go for a residents visa by buying a property off-plan, the visa is not granted until the property is paid for in full. Is this true??
sboxster
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 17, 2008
Hi there, been struggling to log on all day. Sent you email about the consultant visa things.

Yes, to your second question (last post); residency is only on hand-over of the property after final payment. this also only applies to companies that have government approval to stand as sponsor for the residency visa - there was an issue about this a while back where every developer seemed to think that they could simply offer residency as part of the package.

One of your other posts is regarding property purchasing - look up Arnie Gang on the forum, he was (or I suppose still is) the property guru. Mail or pm him and get his advice - over the years it has been pretty much spot on.

I’m not quiet certain how you came across the 70k for the investment visa, yes it does sound feasible, investing in or incorporating in an LLC allows up to 50 people (co-investors) to hold shares in a business - as I mentioned the capitalisation is 300k total, but split proportionately among the investors. You possibly need to get a copy of the UAE Business Law (law no. 8 of 1984 I think); this spells out all the options, obligations and legal forms of business structures in the uae. I found an article I collected on Joint Ventures which I have mailed to you as well.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 18, 2008
sboxster wrote:the visa is not granted until the property is paid for in full. Is this true??

Not quite. As dxbsoul says, you have to wait until completion, and even then visa is not granted. It just means you can apply for a visa. Some confusion recently and it's not exactly clear whether you can even do that now.
bonk

Sep 18, 2008
dbxsoul wrote:I’m not quiet certain how you came across the 70k for the investment visa

Maybe my earlier comment. There is a specific "investor visa" category I've seen with the 70k figure, different from visas your company can apply for after formation. I never investigated any further.
bonk

Sep 26, 2008
HI,

I UNDERSTAND YOU WANT TO WORK FROM HOME AND DO NOT WANT TO SETUP OR INVEST IN A BUSINESS (DUBAI OR FZE)

THE BEST OPTION FOR YOU IS TO PURCHASE A VISA FROM AN ALREADY ESTABLISHED COMPANY. (MIGHT COST YOU 25-35K) DEPENDING ON YOUR CONTACTS. AS THIS IS A VERY OLD TRADITION.

BUT YOU NEED CONTACTS FOR THAT..HOPE THIS HELPS
azm786
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 26, 2008
MIND ME ASKING WHAT KIND OF BUSINESS ARE YOU PLANNING TO DO. MIGHT HAVE A BETTER SOLUTION FOR YOU...
azm786
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 27, 2008
The shouting is irritating :(.
bonk

same issue, another person Apr 15, 2009
azm786 wrote:MIND ME ASKING WHAT KIND OF BUSINESS ARE YOU PLANNING TO DO. MIGHT HAVE A BETTER SOLUTION FOR YOU...

Dear all,
my husband is now facing similar issues as the person who initiated the thread. He wants to do his own IT consultancy from home, as he has long done it in our home country. We were unpleasantly surprised to understand that registering as a freelancer is not so simple and costs a lot in Dubai. I would appreciate any ideas how his consultancy can be legally done without paying huge upfront fees. His "business" is really a one-man show, bringing moderate income similar to a moderate salary, the math does not justify huge company setup costs.
Thanks in advance!
zpeneva
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

American Investigator looking for Food Critics in Dubai Apr 25, 2009
Hello!
I am a Private Investigator in America and our client in Dubai is looking for investigators and food critics to assess restaurants in Media City and Town Center.
These jobs are full reimbursement for one person plus their companion.
If you or anyone you know might be interested in this work, please be kind enough to let me know.
This opportunity is legitimate, requires good writing skills and will be paid in American dollars.
Please advise if you can assist and thank you so very much. :)
Lysa(AT)PrivateEyesOnline(DOT)net
www(DOT)Inside-Hospitality(DOT)com
ICforYou
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum