Pet Quarantine

Topic locked
Pet quarantine Jan 29, 2010
Hi there,

My family and I are moving here to Dubai in the next couple of months from England. We have a small dog that we will be bringing over. Will we have to put her in quarantine at all? Can someone please advise about this and whether the dog will have to have any preventative injections etc.?
Cheers

Stuart

SMUNRO1970
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Pet quarantine Jan 29, 2010
SMUNRO1970 wrote:Hi there,

My family and I are moving here to Dubai in the next couple of months from England. We have a small dog that we will be bringing over. Will we have to put her in quarantine at all? Can someone please advise about this and whether the dog will have to have any preventative injections etc.?
Cheers

Stuart

Stuart, there are pet travel agencies that can make all the arrangements for you as well as tell you what you will be required to do as far as the required vet documentation. I don't know if it is a requirement in the UK for animals to have ID chips, but I think it is a requirement in Dubai (again, an informed, experienced agent should answer all your questions). Just make sure you get an agency that has previous experience arranging for animals to travel to Dubai. To my knowledge pets are not quarantined unless the paperwork isn't complete. Search for "pet travel agencies UK".

Good luck.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Pet quarantine Jan 30, 2010
No there is no quarantine requirement for the UAE as the UK has no rabies. You can all the info you need by contacting DEFRA.

Your dog must be up to date with all vaccinations and have rabies vaccinations and have the rabies blood test. You need export documentation from your UK vet and will have to organise import documentation from the Dubai.

Get you dog chipped and into the pet passport scheme, then it's easier to take it back to the UK should you move back in the future.

Book space for your dog on the flight well in advance (I assume the animal will be on the same flight as you) as airlines only travel one families pets at a time. Once you reach Dubai there will be a vet inspaection on arrival. I highly recommend using Emirates, they were amazing when flying my fur babies over.

Make sure your dogs flight box meets all the DEFRA requirements, as if you turn up and it's too small, they will refuse to fly th animal. Do not sedate your dog, again they'll refuse to fly the animal, because if your dog has a reaction, no one can get into the hold to sort any problems.

You can also contact Dubai kennels and cattery as they can assist you in the documentation and processes you need.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum