Music Shop

Topic locked
Music Shop Jan 03, 2007
Hi,

Just want to pick the brains out there, I am looking to find a music shop to buy a drum kit for my son's birthday (I know I may regret this decision later) but I was told there was a good music shop somewhere in Satwa. Has anyone heard or does anyone know if this exists? If so, can you give the locale? Alternatively, any advice on a reasonably good music shop :?:

pjs
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Music Shop Jan 03, 2007
pjs wrote:Hi,

Just want to pick the brains out there, I am looking to find a music shop to buy a drum kit for my son's birthday (I know I may regret this decision later) but I was told there was a good music shop somewhere in Satwa. Has anyone heard or does anyone know if this exists? If so, can you give the locale? Alternatively, any advice on a reasonably good music shop :?:

If you know Fish Roundabout in Deira, behind Al Ghurair City, their are several music shops in that area that sell drum kits, all within walking distance of the R/A.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 03, 2007
there is a another music shop at Ibn Battuta right opposite Fitness First. They sell electric and normal drums there. Plus you can make sure this time that youll have somewhere to park your car ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 03, 2007
I think there's an instrument shop in the shopping bit under the Crowne Plaza too, upstairs in one of the corners somewhere (sorry for being so vague!)
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 03, 2007
scot1870 wrote:I think there's an instrument shop in the shopping bit under the Crowne Plaza too, upstairs in one of the corners somewhere (sorry for being so vague!)

yeah its right above Mc Donalds, cant miss it ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 03, 2007
I remotely remember such a shop at the shopping centre at the Crowne Plaza
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 03, 2007
There's also Mozart's in Karama, relatively easy to get to, they deal in Pearl Kits and Zildjian Cymbals (almost the best money can buy).

In Karama there is also the Yamaha Music Store dealing in (you guessed it) Yamaha kits.

There is also a Yamaha Music store on Bank Street in Bur Dubai.

If you don't want to regret the purchase too much, buy electric. They are a little pricey but can be used with headphones. The drawback being that you need to buy an amp or an acoustic kit if your boy wants to join a band. I would suggest buying an acoustic kit and sound proofing a room with egg cartons.
bear
Dubai chat master

Jan 03, 2007
Also, If you've never bought a kit before.

the standard kit is

1 Snare Drum (with stand)
1 Hi-tom (to mount to kick drum)
1 Mid-tom ( to mount to kick drum)
1 Floor-tom
1 Bass/Kick Drum (with kick pedal and 2 Tom mounting points)
1 High Hat (with stand)
1 Crash Cymbal (with Stand)
1 Ride Cymbal (with Stand)

Make sure that the shop Tunes all the skins before you leave with the kit and don't let anyone try to sell you more or less, unless your boy wants to play a bit of funk with a mountable Cowbell. If he listens to Metal, my guess would be you don't need the Cowbell.

And to practice in a house, once you have a kit, pack a duvet or a comforter into the kick drum. There are also pieces of felt that can be purchased to put over the skins to dampen the sound, I don't know what they are called though.
bear
Dubai chat master

Jan 03, 2007
There is one close to Muraggabat Police station, opposite to FEWA, it is on a corner facing the main road, you can't miss it. It is an old one, yet they have a lot of music supplies and instruments.
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum