Moving To Dubai Next Month

Topic locked
Moving to Dubai next month Aug 14, 2008
Hi guys I am from Dublin. I am am hoping to move to Dubai next month, and am looking for some advice. I am a single guy.
I hear it is very expensive out there.
Would like to hear from other Irish British / english speaking people.
Could you tell me where I should be looking for accomodation sharing etc.
How much would it be sharing.
Also whats the pub scene there (I hear all the bars are in Hotels) is there a paticular area where there a good selection of Irish / British bars.
The main point is I am heading out there and dont know anyone.

Thanks

maspeth
Dubai Expat Wannabe

hey Aug 14, 2008
im in a simular boat to you - apart from i gto my accomodation through work.. im a single 27yr old and i dont know anyone yet, although a few off this forum have been very helpful and i should be joining them for drinks at some point.

I'm living in Bur Dubai (i think) near the burjmall (again i think).... as you can see ive been here for about 3 days :)

But anything i can help you with i will try....

as for rent, other will have to advise as i dont have the foggiest!

all the best

lee
leeboy13
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 24, 2008
It all depends on your salary. If you will make 2000-3000 euro a month you will be ok.

Even people share accomodation it is illegal over here. Prices for a flat increase year after year so I have to keep it in mind as well. Average flat in a normal place will cost you around 1000 euro per month it may be more if you want to live in a better place.

There is a good Irish pub called Irish Village. It's at the same place as the Dubai Tennis Stadium. There is also a big screen where you can watch football, rugby and othe sports.

There's no particular place with clubs and bars, they are all over the city in different places. However, keep in mind that being drunk in public is illegal, so you can't get drunk at home with your mates and then walk to the club. As soon as you leave the club take a taxi and get home.
Salamov
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 24, 2008
Hello!

I have to say or ask, why people come and just want to hangout with their own? This is a multi-cultural city and an amazing chance to meet people from all over the world and try something new.

Forget the British bars, they're full of wasters every night, atmosphere is terrible and the attitudes of people suck!

The only couple of places I like, like that are Barasti, Irish Village and Fibbers - the rest are just full of complete losers!

I got dragged kicking and screaming to Waxy's the other weekend and on entry remembered exactly why I had refused to go there for the last 3 and a half years! Typical crowds of Brits sitting, drinking singing football songs - classy! No thanks.

Am I disowning my own? Too flippin' right!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 24, 2008
Couldnt agree more Chocipoo,
There are tons of really interesting people here. I hate hanging out with other americans (insert smart a$$ coment about americans here).
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 25, 2008
I second, well third the two above, loads of cool people to meet, and it just kinda happens....

so many things to do also!

Within 2 weeks im all sorted now... Dont worry, you'll be fine!
leeboy13
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 25, 2008
Haha, hey Lee, Glad to hear things are working out for you.
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 25, 2008
why people think of bars at first place when they move to a city !!!
it's hot in here
saeedz28
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 25, 2008
saeedz28 wrote:why people think of bars at first place when they move to a city !!!
it's hot in here

because it's a place where you can meet new people.
Salamov
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 25, 2008
Salamov wrote:
saeedz28 wrote:why people think of bars at first place when they move to a city !!!
it's hot in here

because it's a place where you can meet new people.

it's hardly to see different ppl at the same place you hang out in
same old faces !!! :lol:
saeedz28
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 25, 2008
saeedz28 wrote:it's hardly to see different ppl at the same place you hang out in

Dubai is a small city and only small percentage of people can afford clubbing, unlike in western countries where almost everyone can go clubbing at least once every month.
Salamov
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Moving to Dubai next month Aug 25, 2008
maspeth wrote:Hi guys I am from Dublin. I am am hoping to move to Dubai next month, and am looking for some advice. I am a single guy.
I hear it is very expensive out there.
Would like to hear from other Irish British / english speaking people.
Could you tell me where I should be looking for accomodation sharing etc.
How much would it be sharing.
Also whats the pub scene there (I hear all the bars are in Hotels) is there a paticular area where there a good selection of Irish / British bars.
The main point is I am heading out there and dont know anyone.

Thanks

Hey advices of all the ppl above is applicable. Me I met lee from this forum and if I have time will meet the rest. Ppl aint so social here compared to western countries but are friendly. I love to hang out with positive interesting ppl unlike negative value draining ppl it doesnt matter if the person is butt fcuk ugly or any race. I just want to share that good feeling and have good time. I am sure ppl here and me myself will help yah out . C u soon.
desert surfer
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 26, 2008
Salamov wrote:
saeedz28 wrote:it's hardly to see different ppl at the same place you hang out in

Dubai is a small city and only small percentage of people can afford clubbing, unlike in western countries where almost everyone can go clubbing at least once every month.

What!??!?!?!? what kind of a statement i that - only a small percent can afford clubbing - what like 50%
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 26, 2008
scarlet wrote:
Salamov wrote:

What!??!?!?!? what kind of a statement i that - only a small percent can afford clubbing - what like 50%

If you don't count construction workers, people who work in shops, restaurants, hotels etc. and who make 60-70% and whose salary is between 500-5,000 dhs then it may be 50%.
Salamov
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 26, 2008
I'd say more people can afford to go out here because it's cheaper! Plus with free drinks if you know where to go on certain nights.

And no bars and clubs are not ideal places to meet 'good' people! It's a false environment. The best way to meet people is through relaxed social events, dinner with friends, activities etc.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 26, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:I'd say more people can afford to go out here because it's cheaper! Plus with free drinks if you know where to go on certain nights.

And no bars and clubs are not ideal places to meet 'good' people! It's a false environment. The best way to meet people is through relaxed social events, dinner with friends, activities etc.

I may agree that meeting people at bars amd clubs is false environment, but that how most people meet. You can't approach a girl in the shopping mall or at the beach in Dubai for example. She will think that you're crazy or may even call the police.
Salamov
Dubai Forum Visitor

Thanks guys Aug 26, 2008
Hi thanks guys for all the info, so what is the deal with sharing accomodation in Dubai is it really ilegal. I dont fancy living on my own.
I am a single guy I am 42 and and architectural technician.
maspeth
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Thanks guys Aug 26, 2008
maspeth wrote:Hi thanks guys for all the info, so what is the deal with sharing accomodation in Dubai is it really ilegal. I dont fancy living on my own.
I am a single guy I am 42 and and architectural technician.

By law you can't do some things in Dubai but in real life people stil do them. It all depends who you share a flat with. Let's say if it's you and your friend its ok and it's inlikely anybody wills ay something to you. But living with your girlfriend is illegal even though couples live together. You have to be married to live with a girlfriend.

Also illegal sharing means when let's say someone owns a villa and rents room in this villa to random people, or owns the flat and rents bed spaces, coz many people cannot afford renting hteir own place.

Hope that was helpful.
Salamov
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 27, 2008
I thought we were talking about meeting 'friends' not picking up girls!

They're clamping down on bachelors living together. There are lots of things that are 'illegal' but the authorities turn a blind eye to much of it. Depending where you want to live, sharing is mostly ok, so long as you don't cause trouble or annoy the neighbours. Mixed sharing is better, less likely to get hassle.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 27, 2008
Salamov wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:I'd say more people can afford to go out here because it's cheaper! Plus with free drinks if you know where to go on certain nights.

I may agree that meeting people at bars amd clubs is false environment, but that how most people meet. You can't approach a girl in the shopping mall or at the beach in Dubai for example. She will think that you're crazy or may even call the police.

lol how come I got away :lol: It depends how u do it. dont be creepy , be good conversationalist you will be just fine. I am here talking abt meeting ppl in malls and beaches pick up is different story.
desert surfer
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 27, 2008
desert surfer wrote:lol how come I got away :lol: It depends how u do it. dont be creepy , be good conversationalist you will be just fine. I am here talking abt meeting ppl in malls and beaches pick up is different story.

They never called police when I did it. I'm just saying that they can do it, so it is kind of a gamble lol
Salamov
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 27, 2008
Salamov wrote:
desert surfer wrote:lol how come I got away :lol: It depends how u do it. dont be creepy , be good conversationalist you will be just fine. I am here talking abt meeting ppl in malls and beaches pick up is different story.

They never called police when I did it. I'm just saying that they can do it, so it is kind of a gamble lol

Well that's problem you talk to them with fear that they might call police and you will be victim and that fear is projected as nervousness which comes creepy . That being said it depends how and what are you saying to what kind of ppl out there. If ppl seems conservative and have closed body language it's much better to talk to ppl who are having fun and are friendly. Once conversation keeps rolling and you keep vibing you get to know them . Then hang out later. That's how I have bunch of good friends by going out only 7 times.
desert surfer
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 27, 2008
desert surfer wrote:Well that's problem you talk to them with fear that they might call police and you will be victim and that fear is projected as nervousness which comes creepy . That being said it depends how and what are you saying to what kind of ppl out there. If ppl seems conservative and have closed body language it's much better to talk to ppl who are having fun and are friendly. Once conversation keeps rolling and you keep vibing you get to know them . Then hang out later. That's how I have bunch of good friends by going out only 7 times.

But it's not only in Dubai. In the UK it always looks creepy when you try and talk to the girls other than on a night out.

And you're right it all depends who you talk to. If you approach a girl suddenly it's creepy, if you do it after she saw and smiled then it's ok.

But still night clubs are better :)
Salamov
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum