Moving To Dubai - Location And Commuting Questions

Topic locked
Moving to Dubai - location and commuting questions Nov 17, 2009
Thanks for all the information on here - I did search before posting so that I'd have fewer questions :)

I'm moving to Dubai for an 8-month assignment from the UK in January. My employer is putting me up in a serviced apartment, which eases a lot of things. My work location is Downtown Burj Dubai business park and I currently have a choice of two serviced apartments - Nuran Greens Residencies or Nuran Marina Residencies.

1. Is one better than the other for a single thirty year old male?

2. What are the driving times from each?

3. Is the metro a viable option for those commutes (viable for me means no more than 5 min walking distance) or am I just better off driving or with a taxi?

4. If I decide to drive (I have a US drivers licence and plan to convert it as soon as I get my Residency visa), are there satnavs for the UAE with map updates?

Savage
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 17, 2009
The Greens one is definately better for the metro. To be honest they are comparable in distance, it's just one is one side of the highway and the other the other side.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 17, 2009
1. I don't know exact location of Nuran Greens but I think Nuran Marina is close to Marina Mall, and looks like a shorter walk to one of the Dubai Marina (DM) metro station entrances on my metro map (a/c bridges over SZ Road). Road access to DM is good. The Greens was flaky with construction, not sure if ok now. Walk to beach from DM is a bonus. For SM 30 yrs I'd pick DM.

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/dubai-marina-mall.php

Assume Marina, Greens, Downtown BJ metro stations not open until end Feb 2010 anyway.

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/dubai-metro.php
http://www.dubaifaqs.com/dubai-metro-red-line.php

2. 30 mins - 1 hour depending on traffic. Rent a car for a month then decide on transport.

3. See 1

4. Yes but roads get updated much faster than satnav. For Nuran to job is easy. Follow SZ Rd there and back.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 18, 2009
bonk wrote:30 mins - 1 hour depending on traffic. Rent a car for a month then decide on transport.

He will be driving/traveling against the traffic, moreover these day driving on SZR even in rush hour is quite a breeze, so I'd say 15-20 minutes from Marina/Greens to Downtown Burj, unless he drives very slowly ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 21, 2009
Thanks all. I think I'll take a taxi for a few days to get a feel of the traffic, then rent a car.

xty wrote:...unless he drives very slowly ;)

No fear of that happening :lol:
Savage
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum