Job Offer - Help!

Topic locked
Job Offer - Help! Jun 15, 2005
Hi everyone, appreciate your feedback.

Recently received a job offer to work in Dubai. Offered a Dhs 14,000 package inclusive of basic salary and housing allowance.

In light of the rising rents in Dubai, how far can this package go in Dubai?

Thanks in advance.

buzzed1
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 15, 2005
14K is not bad. Its not the best. You will not be a king. But you will live decently, rent a decent place in Bur Dubai (one bed maybe two if you are lucky), drive a decent new car, and be able to go out a couple times a week, by clothes in reasonable proportions. And you will be able to save a little bit too....

I know people living decently like that in Dubai for that amount.

I would take it if nothing else comes in.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Thanks Jun 16, 2005
Thanks Liban.

Is it also usual for landlords to require upfront annual payments?

Is it easy to get loans from banks for that purpose? Can one insist on paying monthly with maybe 2-3 months of security deposit? Is there a clear-cut law on this?

The package doesn't include medical and dental benefits. Is this usual?

Thanks in advance again. :D
buzzed1
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 16, 2005
No problem buddy.

1) Yes its usual practise.
2) No laws really, depends on the landlord. Some will ask for two payments or three if you are lucky. I have heard of noone doing this on a monthly basis as in the west. Thats not to say its impossible, just unheard for me at least :?
3) You can get a bank loan if you have residency and a decent job (14K is decent) but then again depends on how much you want.
4) In terms of medical coverage, some companies do not offer it. You can always buy a medical card (I think its mandatory but I could be wrong). If I am not mistaken its 300AED/annum. It gives you considerably reduced prices for medical coverage (used to be free for expats before). Dental is not covered I think, but I will be moving there by the fall I hope and my wife is a dentist. She will offer special pricing for Dubai Forums members at that point. I will advertise when the time comes.

You are very welcome. Do not hesitate to ask should you have any further questions on this or any other matter.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum