Interview???

Topic locked
Interview??? Mar 08, 2006
Hey all,

I have an interview for the choeuifait school in Dublin next week. They told me that often the interviewer will ask you to sign the contract on the spot. How binding are contracts??? Can i sign it and break it if something better comes up??? I want to go to Dubai but this school seems a bit totalitarian, and i will only take the offer if nothing else comes up...

Advice please wise ones...

Merci,

Vanessa

irish vanessa
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 08, 2006
A contract is a contract Vanessa. You'll have to read the fine print to see what recourse the company has if you break it.

Although, are you considering breaking it once over here? That could be a different story if the school has sponsored your visa cause they could decide to impose a 6 month ban on you when they cancel your residency visa.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 09, 2006
Thanks XRW...you're always a legend for replying to my posts! :angel8:

I wasn't gonna break the contract once i get over there - its only for a year and i can look for a more suitable one while in Dubai baby...

...BUT if im offered something better before i fly over and take up the teaching job in mid-august, i would consider breaking the contract then...dont think they can do too much...

Go raibh mile maith agat again, (thanks in irish)

Vanessa
irish vanessa
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 09, 2006
Write a letter to Salah Mohammad Kamal http://www.gulf-news.com/nation/Ask_The_Law/index.html

Normally a company can hold you accountable for any costs if you sign a contract and then leave even if you leave before starting work date. There's supposed to be minimum time limit before you can apply to cancel the job; it should be in the contract.

Before you sign anything get a copy of the contract and read it carefully.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 09, 2006
Also important to remember the contract that is submitted to the Labour dept is always in Arabic. Make sure the translation is the same as the English copy, or you wont have a leg to stand on.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 09, 2006
Thanks lads...

...very necessary info for me...in the telephone interview they were putting pressure on me to sign the contract on the spot at the real interview...will definately have to take a copy of it away before i agree to anything...don't wanna get in deep sh*t before i even get there!

:thumbup:
irish vanessa
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 09, 2006
Also imp to note if they give you a letter after say accepting the job, detailing all the benefits etc, and some of those benefits are not in the contract. You have no recourse. The only contractual benefits applicable/enforceable are those in the copy of the arabic contract sent to the labour dept.

So if your job offer letter says blah blah make sure the smae blah blah is in both copies of the labour contract.

In UK a letter of offer is binding, in the UAE it is not.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 11, 2006
Choeuifait is one of the top schools in Dubai, so I wouldn't worry too much about what they will send to the labor dept if the english copy is alright.

Don't hesitate and ask anything that is not clear after the interview or in the contract, you have the right to ask and they have the responsibility to explain anything that concerns you.

Probably you have this in mind but I'll say it anyway; if your interview is on campus then have a chat with other teachers.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 12, 2006
After all, it is very unprofessional to break the contract because they will really be relying on you. Don't forget they always have people on the queue to work for them. If you don't accept the offer, the person next to you will. Signing a contract is a professional commitment and I am sure the school won't do anything silly to damage their reputation. I have been told Choufeifat really works on maintaining and building their reputation.

Good luck
Nav
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum