How To File A Complaint With The Ministry Of Labour

Topic locked
how to file a complaint with the Ministry of Labour Aug 23, 2009
My friend works for a small trading company in Dubai. There is a staff of 2 people working there and they have not been paid in nearly 6 months. Now my friend has found other employment and wants to leave but they will not give him release. I think if he goes and files a compliant at the MoL he can get a release. Is this correct and can tell me how to go about doing this?

dunebasher1
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 23, 2009
If no reconciliation can be made between you and the company...

If the company is in a free zone area, go to the free zone authority first to obtain the reference letter (in Arabic). I don't know for non free zone company. Maybe you go directly to Ministry of Labour head office?

Bring the free zone reference letter to the Ministry of Labour office (lower ground room 103 if I'm not mistaken, or ask first the reception) inside Dubai Courts building (next to Maktoum bridge).

Go to typing centre (inside Dubai Courts), they will ask for the details (joining date, termination date, salary breakdown, etc), they will make your "demand letter" in Arabic (including all the amounts: unpaid salary, notice period, gratuity, leave balance, etc) for you to open/register a case.

Bring the "demand letter" back to reception, open/register the case, they will give you a schedule for hearing. Submit also any documents (legally translated to Arabic if possible) that may support you.

Mind you that it may cost you lots of money for legal translation of supporting documents (if any), and it may take weeks to finish the hearing up to the judgements (you know the "effectiveness" of govt). Meaning, you got to be prepared with the "surviving money" and see if it's worth to fight for.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 29, 2009
xty wrote:If no reconciliation can be made between you and the company...

If the company is in a free zone area, go to the free zone authority first to obtain the reference letter (in Arabic). I don't know for non free zone company. Maybe you go directly to Ministry of Labour head office?

Bring the free zone reference letter to the Ministry of Labour office (lower ground room 103 if I'm not mistaken, or ask first the reception) inside Dubai Courts building (next to Maktoum bridge).

Go to typing centre (inside Dubai Courts), they will ask for the details (joining date, termination date, salary breakdown, etc), they will make your "demand letter" in Arabic (including all the amounts: unpaid salary, notice period, gratuity, leave balance, etc) for you to open/register a case.

Bring the "demand letter" back to reception, open/register the case, they will give you a schedule for hearing. Submit also any documents (legally translated to Arabic if possible) that may support you.

Mind you that it may cost you lots of money for legal translation of supporting documents (if any), and it may take weeks to finish the hearing up to the judgements (you know the "effectiveness" of govt). Meaning, you got to be prepared with the "surviving money" and see if it's worth to fight for.

Hi Guys,

I just started this process a few weeks ago, the hearing was scheduled for last week Tuesday, I showed up and waited for my name to be called out, when it happened I walked up to the judges a translator was provided they looked at the documents. a few things were said in Arabic... and right after they told me that I will have to come back again for another hearing, which is in the end of September.

Has anyone been through this? Does anyone know what the next steps are?

Thanks!
marrakech
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 01, 2009
My husband has been going through this process since February and it is still on going................possibly another 2 or 3 months before it is over.
Gayve
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 01, 2009
The whole labour dispute process, law, and immigrations seem ridiculous, useless, and unfair for the employees.

Unless you get another job quick, you need huge of surviving money to stay for months (during the process).

Second, just make sure that your company didn't cancel the visa yet or the visa is expired or about to expire. Otherwise you MUST EXIT the country one month after cancellation/expiration even if the case is not finished!
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

My experience with the MOL Nov 05, 2009
I have not received my salary since Feb 2009 till June 2009. And the director had closed down the company by the end of June 2009 and promised us to do our payments. By october he tells us to handover our passports for visa cancelation and he was not ready to pay our dues. He gave us threathning emails saying the sponsor can abscond our visa. This is when i called the MOL help line and asked them what to do. They told me to file a complaint with the Mol by this i will get my dues settled and i will also receive an NOC. (They said NOC is guaranteed with every complaint). I filed a complaint and was given a date and time in a letter to have a meeting with the legal advisor. I forwarded this letter to the director. On the meeting day, A local was sent by the sposnor of the company (the director was not present). During the meeting the local shows a card (beleive he works for the MOL) to the legal advisor and they have a discussion. The legal advisor then asks me what is the problem. I tell her my dues are pending and for how many months. Then she discussed with him and tells me that i have received my dues and is not handing over the passport for cancelation. I told her i have not received my dues that is why i have filed a complaint. She almost behaved like i am the culprit. Then i informed her the company has been clsoed and its been six months since they have not renewed the license. That is why they want ot cancel our visas. She didnt listen, to what i said. She kept writing what he local told her to write, he signed the letter and then she told me to sign. When i was going to read the letter which was in arabic, she scoulded me saying you are signing it or not. Thne i had to sign. Thne she tell the next meeting date and time and tells me to bring my passport for cancelation and i will receive my dues. I asked her what is my dues and she didnt tell me. Then i asked her waht about an NOC. She said this depends on the Sponsor.

I am really shocked to see this happening to me. I came for help from the MOL. I was born and brought up here and thought there is some hope in this country for me. But now i am stuck with this. If someone can advice what to do, iw ill really appreciate it.
rohan5
Dubai Forum Guest

TO EVERYONE IN DUBAI Nov 05, 2009
PLEASE I NEED AN URGENT HELP.
rohan5
Dubai Forum Guest

undefined Jan 24, 2014
my contract and visa is already expired and my boss hes still not cancelled my visa....and also i cannot find new employer im still working to my boss even i already finish contract..im working as a housemaid but visa is company visa,,,3days left for my 30 days period but im still here in my boss,...pls help me bcoz i cannot go to labour to complain,bcoz my boss he willnot allow me to go out..if anybody can help me specially kabayan bcoz im filipina,my no is 0551808533
edalynmallorca
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

undefined May 06, 2014
hi my company terminate me with out warning or notice of termination,,,then they ask me to sign my termination letter.. after 1 week they ask me again to sign my cancellation..i think they dont give me any benefits....what should i do..and i have band for 6 months....
aj011884yahoocom
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

undefined May 24, 2014
helo, my labour card will be finishing on aug 5 and my visa on sept 2 2014,, im planning to have my annual leave on july before leaving the company..can i file a complain if the employer doesnot allow me to take my leave untill finishingmy contract.my case is that i will not be renewing my visa in my company.. and when is the perfect time to submit notification that i will not renew my visa.
Cheche
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

undefined Jul 03, 2014
Hi am working with Law firm at the moment & i am so amazed when they did not give us any Ramadan timings for the holy month of Ramadan, we need to work 8 hrs a day same as our regular timings with out any overtime time pay.Is this acceptable by the law of labour?
restlessheart
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

undefined Jul 07, 2014
sir, my husband is working in one construction company he has cancelled on 04.06.2014 already 1 month finished but they are not cancelled my visa i am with family already he his having another appointment how can i release from this company
durairajnadarjeyan
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

undefined Jul 30, 2014
The system is biased towards the employers especially locals . I had the same experience whereby the MOL legal advisor ( lady ) in the first meeting who was extremely rude and listened to lies rattled by the local in my presence . The best part is the Labor Office is to protect employees ! They treat employees who file complaints against locals as though we are criminals . The whole process is a joke . The so called ' legal advisor ' who attended to my case cannot even speak proper English and this is a labor office to assist employees who come from all over the world . The way she questioned me in such a rude manner gave the impression that we are all housemaids or cheap labor to her . 25 years I have lived in this country and this is my conclusion : they will never change . Arrogant and rude . Not all of them to be fair but I have come across very few who respect others as they would expect others to respect them . Here they demand that we bow down to them . I have never given them the pleasure to have the upper hand . I treat them the same way they treat me .
pinko96
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

undefined Sep 02, 2014
hi, i am under prbationary period in my company and until now i didnt receive my 2 mons salary. im now 3 mons working here.if i will file a cmplain can i resign immediately to my employer and i will not pay for anything and also ban in labour?plz help me.
aliah
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

undefined Oct 13, 2014
Can i know if person work on visit visa how much is fine i work in textile company and duty hours is very high morning 9.00 am to 3.00 pm and 4.00 pm to 11.00 pm and friday also 2.00 pm to 8.00pm is this leagle contract in labour or company dont beleve on labour and fines
gidwanihiro
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

undefined Oct 16, 2014
Hey, I need help!!! I work in a big retail firm, I was working in the store (sales Associate) for 2 yrs. And when I was on my annual leave I got an offer letter for assistant planner job role with a hike in my salary and the given position was in the head office. When I came back from my vacation I submitted all the required documents and reported in the head office. After one month when I received my salary, it was still my old salary. When I questioned them, the HR told me there was a miss communication between the planning team and HR so this offer letter was cannot be followed. The offer letter I had signed and had the signature of senior recruitment HR also and I worked for a month and no one during that time told me anything about this until I questioned. Then they gave me an option for working on my old salary in the head office or go back to the store. I told I will continue on the old salary but I want to work in the head office on the new designation. they told ok and agreed to something that they had offered. after 15 days my store operations manager tells you need to go back to the store as they have not given transfer letter. when I spoke to my reporting person in the head office he told don't worry. and then they had a meeting and told me that I will work in the head office. again same issue and I have been asked to go back to the store which I don't want to as I was offered something else and I accepted it as a promotion given to me. and they tell me they cant pay the new salary, I agreed to that also. But I don't want to agree to this confusion of theirs. I am being mentally harassed with this go back to store and come back here. I want what I was offered for and I hav signed in acceptance. And this confusion and things r going on from 3 months. No one higher ups are interfering and taking a decision on this. can I make a complaint in the ministry of labour regarding the offer letter given and changing it according to their wish after me signing and submitting to them???

Please help me. Thank you
noumith
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

undefined Jan 12, 2015
hi. im working in a group of companies it has 4 companies. and one of the company that i was under visa, the trade license were expired 4 months back and their not renewing it, now their planning to transfer my visa in one of the company which is located in abudhabi. i have one more year left in my contract. if they transfer my visa in our abudhabi company will i get a ban if i didnt finish my one year left, how they'll transfer my visa. will they apply for 1 yr visa or again another 2 yr visa. Is it possible for me to apply in other company before they transfer my visa. will i get a ban?...
rhiza
Dubai Forum Guest

undefined Jan 18, 2015
Hi everyone
Im now 5 months with my.company and i want to cancel im working asa salon cashier and my working hours is almost 14 hours everyday and no day off dont allow also to.be late is so they will cut salary and no overtime pay can.pls.somebody tell me what to do legally i cannot find time to go.labour.office
saliferrer
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: How To File A Complaint With The Ministry Of Labour Jan 23, 2015
I have some problem in my company how I contact with ministry of labour
Waqarali
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

undefined Apr 16, 2015
hi, February 18th 2015 i gave resignation letter with one month notice.March 18th 2015 i stop working my one month finished. April 15th 2015 till my company did not cancel my visa. already my 2 year contract finished march 11th 2015. so i complaint labour ministry they give appointment may 13th 2015. i have 2 month without working only going expense only. i have doubt 13th may after how may day take will cancellation my visa. please help me. if take more day i have problem in financial. can help me after appointment maximum how many day can take my company visa cancellation and this two month i can take salary from my company. Have any Procedure?
crystalkhan
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

undefined May 03, 2015
Dear Sir,

We need some help, one of our employee has resigned from his job with one month notice period but company want to discontinue his service with immediate effect i.e. 30.04.15. He has joint our office on 16.10.14. He has already taken 21 days leave (one time 8 days and one time 13 days for emergency leave), now he want to adjust that leaves with annual leave (Referring UAE labour Law entitlement: * Two days leave for every month if employee service is more than six months and less than a year) because he is completing 6 month and 15 days. Sir please let me the legal treatment as per UAE law.

Should we deduct 8 days leave or 21 days?

He have to pay 45 days because he going to terminate the limited contract?

Who will bear Visa expenses?

Who will bear cancellation charges?

Who will bear Air Ticket Charges?

Thanks,

Regards,

Syed Shahzad Anwar

SyedShahzadAnwar
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: How To File A Complaint With The Ministry Of Labour Jul 09, 2015
my boss is planning to cut my salary into 50% and he gave me a paper to sign. but i have my offer letter wherein it mentioned there about my packages the he is suddenly make that decision. is it possible?
camry
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: How To File A Complaint With The Ministry Of Labour Sep 01, 2015
you should never accept such conditions as that will effect your end of service benefits. The employers usually do that so they do not need to make huge amount of gratuity to the employee on termination.
Iqra
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: How To File A Complaint With The Ministry Of Labour Oct 05, 2015
dear sir i was working for a sales company anmy visa is form a third paty an resigned on 22nd September as my visa cancellation is put on hold by the client as there was a pending case complaint from a customer i was never told if i didn't resolve the complaint my visa cancellation will not proceed what should i do coz i dnt have a job an i will not be able to pay my rent can i put a labour complaint since my resignation was accepted please help me
cliff6883
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum