Dubai & The African-American Female

Topic locked
Dubai & The African-American Female Oct 17, 2007
Greetings All,
I'm strongly considering work in Dubai and doing my homework-great site. Here are my questions/issues:

I have several degrees but don't have the strong/specific business background-I have a varied work history of teaching (which I don't really want to do) and corporate/business communication-what's the best way to secure a job short of face-to-face networking/visiting in person?

I'm a single parent of a 13 year old son. I never married his father, who happens to be Egyptian, so my son has the Islamic family name. Short of our custody arrangements here in the states, what problems will I have in Dubai?

Overall, will I face the face-value of discrimination when working? I don't expect the red carpet upon my visit, but want to have some leverage in the workplace. I have knowledge/experience/respect for the Arabic culture, and I'm not the typical sheltered American nationalist :twisted: , so be real with your answers!

Mikado7
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Dubai & The African-American Female Oct 17, 2007
Mikado7 wrote:Greetings All,
I'm strongly considering work in Dubai and doing my homework-great site. Here are my questions/issues:

I have several degrees but don't have the strong/specific business background-I have a varied work history of teaching (which I don't really want to do) and corporate/business communication-what's the best way to secure a job short of face-to-face networking/visiting in person?

I'm a single parent of a 13 year old son. I never married his father, who happens to be Egyptian, so my son has the Islamic family name. Short of our custody arrangements here in the states, what problems will I have in Dubai?

Overall, will I face the face-value of discrimination when working? I don't expect the red carpet upon my visit, but want to have some leverage in the workplace. I have knowledge/experience/respect for the Arabic culture, and I'm not the typical sheltered American nationalist :twisted: , so be real with your answers!

Being a muslim , i always used to think , how can some has a kid without being getting married ? :lol:
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

re: Oct 17, 2007
I'm not the Muslim, and actually, those things happen worldwide my friend.
Mikado7
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: re: Oct 17, 2007
Mikado7 wrote:I'm not the Muslim, and actually, those things happen worldwide my friend.

even in Australia ? :roll:
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

re: Oct 17, 2007
Without a doubt-sorry if it offends :(
Mikado7
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 17, 2007
In Dubai u would feel as u r still in USA in 1901 :lol:

Wait and see if someone can shed some more lights on this topic :=).
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

re Oct 17, 2007
I'm assuming that is a negative thing, but I'll take your word and see what light is indeed shed---thanks
Mikado7
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 18, 2007
ignore HP - he's the DF fool

my dear mum used to say "if you aint got anything sensible to say then dont say it" - take note HP

note - have moved this post to Expat hopefully your questions will be answered here

cheers
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 18, 2007
Mikado i am glad to see you are doing your research this site is a good source if information if you can differentiate the BS from the facts hehe .. tricky right ?

but anyway regarding your son and being a single parent, i am pretty sure this has been discussed before so if you use the search function you should find some useful information. But i think the bottom line, if a company decides to hire you there will always be ways around the "system".

Good luck !
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 18, 2007
G-d loves us all, even the fools! Thanks for the info & proper placement. :wink:
Mikado7
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 18, 2007
You can sponsor your Son as a Single Parent, however you should not mention at any stage the circumstances. You can just be divorced. Also their are several conditions that have to be met for you to be able to sponsor your child as a female. I am sure this has been discussed, please try the search function.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 18, 2007
arniegang wrote:ignore HP - he's the DF fool

my dear mum used to say "if you aint got anything sensible to say then dont say it" - take note HP

cheers

Then how come you made so many posts , if you were such a obedient boy :lol:
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum