Divorce In Dubai

Topic locked
Divorce in Dubai Feb 24, 2008
Hey,

Where can I get information on procedures for two expats getting divorced in Dubai?

Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Divorce in Dubai Feb 24, 2008
Dubaidude007 wrote:Hey,

Where can I get information on procedures for two expats getting divorced in Dubai?

I believe that you can only actually divorce in Dubai if the Man is Muslim and it is initiated by the Man or if both parties are Muslim. It would certainly be very difficult for non-Muslim to divorce here.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:

I believe that you can only actually divorce in Dubai if the Man is Muslim and it is initiated by the Man or if both parties are Muslim. It would certainly be very difficult for non-Muslim to divorce here.

I am sure if non-muslim can get married here that non-muslim can get divorced here.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

It's case to case, so it will depend on a few factors:
1. what's the nationality of the expats?
2. where were they married?
girl_glen
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

^ian^ wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

I am sure if non-muslim can get married here that non-muslim can get divorced here.

No problem then, please give the requested advice.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 24, 2008
If the divorce is consensual then a UK divorce is possible from anywhere in the world. It can be done by post.

The is no mechanism for any UK divorce to be sanctioned from anywhere other than the UK.

If the divorce is contested and legal representation is required this becomes more complicated. However any english lawyer practising in Dubai that is qualified/experienced in UK Divorce law can advise the petitioner or respondant and technically can also be done from the UAE or anywhere else.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

divorce Feb 24, 2008
rajajang
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Divorce in Dubai Feb 25, 2008

And you are wondering why you are a DF addict?
Theres your answer.

You can get it done in either country. But the UAE doesn't have an agreement with the UK for example, so anything decided here isn't exactly water tight and vice versa.

If the divorce is uncontested, you would probably be better off doing it from your home country.

If it is contested, you will be better of getting it done in Dubai where the courts will favour the male. Just tell them that you found out that she was not intact on your wedding night :) using your best Borat impersonation.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 25, 2008
Thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it. He will have to get it here because she is refusing to let him divorce her back home.
Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum