Commuting Times

Topic locked
commuting times Oct 08, 2006
Hello , and first of all a big thankyou to everyone who contributes to this forum. I have been 'lurking' for the last couple of months and have been able to pick up invaluable advice to help me decide on a move to dubai.

Having weighed up the pros and the cons its a great opportunity to experience a different culture and hopefully have a better quality of life.
Its going to be a big wrench leaving all more mates behind, golf , 5aside footie , squash , pub etc but hope to meet like-minded people to do simalar things. Do any of you folks meet up at all?

The contracts nearly signed and looks like me and the wife will be heading out in January. looks like i'm going to be based in the mirdiff area although i'll be travelling all over. just wondered about commuting distances from dubai marina which looks a nice to place to rent (can afford up to 120,000dhms)? or would you advise elsewhere?

rammie
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 08, 2006
First off, officially welcome :)

Actually Mirdiff has some very nice places and your dirham will go further than it will in the Marina. There are also many expats that live there as well.

Your commute I would guess will likely take about 35-55 mins as you are lucky and going the opposite way of traffic but It is over 35kms, so quite a distance.

Good luck in whatever you decide :)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Oct 08, 2006
Many thanks, do expats have a regular meet place ? Just thought the marinas were suited more to singles and couples and there were more hotel bars / restaurants on your doorstep?

Am planning on coming over in the next couple of weeks for 4 days to have a good luck around as it was may when i last came for my interview (also my wife hasnt been to dubai yet so i hope she likes it!!). Whats the best advice in terms of using that time well?
rammie
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 09, 2006
people do meet up so no worries, and all the things u mentioned , 5 a side footie, pubs, golf, squash and much much more do happen out here as well.

welcome aboard,

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 09, 2006
Many thanks again and looking forward to meeting up in 07 (by the way whats the much much more.......!!???). Does anyone have any good links to rental sites for accommodation and cars? :? might try and get a short term furnished place at the marina to test out the commuting aspect
rammie
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 15, 2006
Contract has arrived and looks okish. Looking at a Jan 07 start. planning on coming out to for 4 days oct 23rd. Any recommendations on how best to use time and where to stay? EXCITING TIMES........
rammie
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum