Buying A Cat In Dubai

Topic locked
  • Reply
Buying a cat in Dubai May 08, 2007
Anyone know any pet shop in dubai where I could buy a kitten? Alternatively, anyone know someone who has a litter of kittens they are giving away?

Thanks a bunch!

Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict
User avatar
Posts: 267

  • Reply
Re: Buying a cat in Dubai May 08, 2007
Medvezhonok wrote:Anyone know any pet shop in dubai where I could buy a kitten? Alternatively, anyone know someone who has a litter of kittens they are giving away?

Thanks a bunch!
]

No need to buy a cat or kitten - adopt one! Contact Felinefriends at http://www.felinefriendsdubai.com/ they have hundreds!

Better yet; adopt a dog www.K9friends.com

Good luck.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot
User avatar
Posts: 3922
Location: Dawg House

  • Reply
May 08, 2007
Thanks for the website!

Can't adopt a dog right now because my place is too small, so a kitten will do just fine for my gf, she loves them
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict
User avatar
Posts: 267

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
I haven't had any luck with felinefriends as most of the cats they have are strays, and that's not really what I'm looking for..

Anyone know a pet shop where I can buy a small fluffy kitten? I'm not talking about a pure breed kitten that will cost over 1,000 dhs, a cat that looks like these:
http://d.whyville.net/whytimes/archives ... -thumb.jpg
http://www.btnet.biz/photos/cats-kitten ... re4671.jpg

Thanks for your help!
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict
User avatar
Posts: 267

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
Of course Feline Friends cats are all strays. Most of them were already pets that were turffed out by their previous owners.

If all you want is a fluffy kitten, I'd say remember fluffy kittens grow up into cats like the Feline Friends ones. My advice to you? Don't get a cat, you want it for the wrong reasons.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005
User avatar
Posts: 12835

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
And DON'T buy animals from pets shops, as you're only contributing to cruelty. And many pets shops have animals (cats and dogs) that are stolen from their original owners, it happens alot in this country, so by getting an animal from there you only encourage the theft and bad treatment of animals.

All the Feline Friends cats were once fluffy kittens like your picture, but have had a hard time in life. They're more deserving of a loving home.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005
User avatar
Posts: 12835

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
I never had any cats at home, but I always keep a few sachets of Cat food in my car...I feed the odd Stray!
V-Man
Dubai Forums Frequenter
User avatar
Posts: 106
Location: Dubai

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Of course Feline Friends cats are all strays. Most of them were already pets that were turffed out by their previous owners.

I hope you will forgive me for not having your in-depth knowledge of the felinefriends organization, but as I have said before I am NOT looking for a stray.

Chocoholic wrote:If all you want is a fluffy kitten, I'd say remember fluffy kittens grow up into cats like the Feline Friends ones.

I'm starting to find this fascination of yours with felinefriends quite disturbing.

Chocoholic wrote:My advice to you? Don't get a cat, you want it for the wrong reasons.

I'm not getting the cat for myself. My advice to you? Read the contents of my previous posts before replying.

Chocoholic wrote:And DON'T buy animals from pets shops, as you're only contributing to cruelty. And many pets shops have animals (cats and dogs) that are stolen from their original owners, it happens alot in this country, so by getting an animal from there you only encourage the theft and bad treatment of animals.

Care to support your ludicrous claims with facts?
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict
User avatar
Posts: 267

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
Medvezhonok wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Of course Feline Friends cats are all strays. Most of them were already pets that were turffed out by their previous owners.

I hope you will forgive me for not having your in-depth knowledge of the felinefriends organization, but as I have said before I am NOT looking for a stray.

Chocoholic wrote:If all you want is a fluffy kitten, I'd say remember fluffy kittens grow up into cats like the Feline Friends ones.

I'm starting to find this fascination of yours with felinefriends quite disturbing.

Chocoholic wrote:My advice to you? Don't get a cat, you want it for the wrong reasons.

I'm not getting the cat for myself. My advice to you? Read the contents of my previous posts before replying.

Chocoholic wrote:And DON'T buy animals from pets shops, as you're only contributing to cruelty. And many pets shops have animals (cats and dogs) that are stolen from their original owners, it happens alot in this country, so by getting an animal from there you only encourage the theft and bad treatment of animals.

Care to support your ludicrous claims with facts?


Ludicrous??

All over the world people are creating a problem by buying the 'cute little fluffy kittens' that will one day grow up into 'boring old cats'.

Its common knowledge that there are hundreds of mistreated animals in Dubai - originally bought because they were 'cute little fluffy kittens and cute little puppy dogs' but their owners are no longer interested in them when the novelty wears off.

I don't know if going to a breeder will help.. but please, think again about the pet shops. Some of them are stolen from their original owners, but still, the conditions they are kept in is inhumane.

I know from firsthand experience that buying someone an animal as a gift doesn't always work out for the best.... They really shouldn't be a present or a gift - they are a longterm commitment.

If Chocoholic has a 'strange' fascination with felinefriends, maybe thats a fascination more people should have!! I would suggest, yourself included...
pilvii
Dubai Forum Visitor
User avatar
Posts: 15
Location: Finland

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
And guess what? When your gf dumps you the cat and all your stuff at her place will come back to you and what will happen to the cat if your new gf doesn't like cats or is allergic to them?
Salik
Dubai Forums Member
User avatar
Posts: 25

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
pilvii wrote:Ludicrous??

All over the world people are creating a problem by buying the 'cute little fluffy kittens' that will one day grow up into 'boring old cats'.

As opposed to street cats who grow up into 'exciting wild felines'? If you were trying to make a point here you have clearly failed.


pilvii wrote:Its common knowledge that there are hundreds of mistreated animals in Dubai - originally bought because they were 'cute little fluffy kittens and cute little puppy dogs' but their owners are no longer interested in them when the novelty wears off.

What makes you think the cat will be mistreated? My girlfriend has had cats all her life, some of them she had until they were 17 years old. So next time before wildly generalizing about someone you don't know anything about, I politely invite you to ask.


pilvii wrote:I don't know if going to a breeder will help.. but please, think again about the pet shops. Some of them are stolen from their original owners, but still, the conditions they are kept in is inhumane.

Again you fail to back up your rhetoric with facts. And if they are indeed kept in inhumane conditions as you claim, isn't that just another reason to save them from the pet shop?

pilvii wrote:I know from firsthand experience that buying someone an animal as a gift doesn't always work out for the best.... They really shouldn't be a present or a gift - they are a longterm commitment.

Glad to see your "first hand experience" has helped you generalize the entire population. We were planning to get a cat in 5 months but I decided to get it sooner as a surprise to her.

pilvii wrote:If Chocoholic has a 'strange' fascination with felinefriends, maybe thats a fascination more people should have!! I would suggest, yourself included...

Although felinefriends is a great organization and I respect what they do, wildly lashing out at people who don't want to go through them to get a cat does not help them in any way.
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict
User avatar
Posts: 267

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
You don't need a cat... you need an attitude adjustment!
Good luck in your endeavours :) You'll need it....
Don't ask for advice if you're not going to like what you're told
pilvii
Dubai Forum Visitor
User avatar
Posts: 15
Location: Finland

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
pilvii wrote:You don't need a cat... you need an attitude adjustment!
Good luck in your endeavours :) You'll need it....
Don't ask for advice if you're not going to like what you're told


I don't have an attitude, just a personality you can't handle. :roll:

Have a nice day..
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict
User avatar
Posts: 267

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
There's no fascination with Feline Friends, it's just I would rather see anwanted cat rehomed, than see money going towards breeders and pet shops who don't look after their animals properly.

And I know this happens, because I make a point to look in the pet shops and tell people if their conditions are bad, also it's reported lots in the paper - fact!

Your fascination with getting a 'fluffy little kitten' is what's more disturbing to me. As who knows what will happen to that 'fluffy little kitten' when it isn't one anymore.

Plus not all the cats at Feline are strays, or local cats. Many are abandoned and even pedigree cats. But at least you know they're vaccinated and neutured.

Members on this forum are mostly animal lovers and care about the welfare of animals in this country - you clearly have shown not to care a great deal.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005
User avatar
Posts: 12835

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:There's no fascination with Feline Friends, it's just I would rather see anwanted cat rehomed, than see money going towards breeders and pet shops who don't look after their animals properly.

And I know this happens, because I make a point to look in the pet shops and tell people if their conditions are bad, also it's reported lots in the paper - fact!

Your fascination with getting a 'fluffy little kitten' is what's more disturbing to me. As who knows what will happen to that 'fluffy little kitten' when it isn't one anymore.

Plus not all the cats at Feline are strays, or local cats. Many are abandoned and even pedigree cats. But at least you know they're vaccinated and neutured.

Members on this forum are mostly animal lovers and care about the welfare of animals in this country - you clearly have shown not to care a great deal.


You don't know me nor do you know anything about me, yet you persist in making baseless accusations. I asked if anyone knew of a pet shop OR had a litter of young kittens they were giving away.

As for your 'fluffy little kitten' remark, I again refer you to my above posts.

Oh and by the way, claiming that something got reported in the paper then yelling "fact!" does not make it an actual fact.
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict
User avatar
Posts: 267

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
It's reported all the time, plus people write letters about it all the time. In Umm Sequim there's a big cat stealing problem. Everyone knows about it, so don't tell us we don't know what we're talking about.

How about you go to your local Spinney's. There's always loads of adverts for unwanted 'fluffy kittens' there. or even the loca vets have many unwanted cats.

I just do not understand what the difference is between the 'European' cat that you're clearly after, over a 'local' cat. The orientals are prized in Europe you know.

Plus many people here have associations with the rescue centres, and know what's going on, so don't you dare sit there and tell us we don't know what's going on.

Back off buddy
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005
User avatar
Posts: 12835

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
My friend had a kitten. It became much larger when I saw it two months later. Four months later it was fully grown. Expect to keep a kitten for a couple of months max.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU
User avatar
Posts: 2283
Location: Dubai

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:It's reported all the time, plus people write letters about it all the time. In Umm Sequim there's a big cat stealing problem. Everyone knows about it, so don't tell us we don't know what we're talking about.

The only undeniable fact here is that until now you have failed to provide a single source linking to these "reports".

Chocoholic wrote:How about you go to your local Spinney's. There's always loads of adverts for unwanted 'fluffy kittens' there. or even the loca vets have many unwanted cats.

Now THAT'S what I am talking about, thanks for the info :)


Chocoholic wrote:I just do not understand what the difference is between the 'European' cat that you're clearly after, over a 'local' cat. The orientals are prized in Europe you know.

Each person has his/her own preference, trying to impose your ideals on someone else will get you nowhere fast.

Chocoholic wrote:Plus many people here have associations with the rescue centres, and know what's going on, so don't you dare sit there and tell us we don't know what's going on.

And the relevance of this with me trying to get a cat I like is...?

Chocoholic wrote:Back off buddy

Meeeeeow! :lol:
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict
User avatar
Posts: 267

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
gtmash wrote:My friend had a kitten. It became much larger when I saw it two months later. Four months later it was fully grown. Expect to keep a kitten for a couple of months max.


Gosh darn it, and I was expecting it to fly off to Never Never Land and remain a kitten all it's life!
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict
User avatar
Posts: 267

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
I don't have to link to reports as we've had many topics on these subjects before. So I don't have to justify it to you, as I know it happens, I've seen it with my own eyes! Like people hurling cats and dogs out of moving cars to watch them get run over - common thing here!

I just don't think animals should be based on looks, or breeds. Both my cat and dog are mixed this and that and a damn site more intereting than others.

Anyway whatever, I just hope you'll keep some of our comments in mind and home and unwanted animal, instead of paynig for one.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005
User avatar
Posts: 12835

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Like people hurling cats and dogs out of moving cars to watch them get run over - common thing here!

I fail to see how me getting a european kitten has anything to do with these lunatics..

Chocoholic wrote:I just don't think animals should be based on looks, or breeds. Both my cat and dog are mixed this and that and a damn site more intereting than others.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it, just as I am entitled to mine.


Chocoholic wrote:Anyway whatever, I just hope you'll keep some of our comments in mind and home and unwanted animal, instead of paynig for one.

Thanks for the hippie rhetoric, however if I do happen to find a cat of my liking that is unwanted I will home him without hesitating.
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict
User avatar
Posts: 267

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
Medvezhonok wrote:Thanks for the hippie rhetoric


*tsk* *tsk* Name calling will get you nowhere :)
pilvii
Dubai Forum Visitor
User avatar
Posts: 15
Location: Finland

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
Medvezhonok wrote:
gtmash wrote:My friend had a kitten. It became much larger when I saw it two months later. Four months later it was fully grown. Expect to keep a kitten for a couple of months max.


Gosh darn it, and I was expecting it to fly off to Never Never Land and remain a kitten all it's life!


Seems like it.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU
User avatar
Posts: 2283
Location: Dubai

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
pilvii wrote:You don't need a cat... you need an attitude adjustment!
Good luck in your endeavours :) You'll need it....
Don't ask for advice if you're not going to like what you're told


Not to be devil's advocate or anything like that, but where did that come from? From what can be gleamed in his posts, Medvezhonok really doesn't seem to have an attitude.

Having had my dog mauled by a stray cat before, I can see where the man's opinions on strays can come from; it is his right and wish to choose where he gets a pet from - as is everyone else's. It may not be universally agreed on - but if you expect someone to respect your beliefs, its best to respect everyone else's too, right? In either case, it doesn't really matter. If the man's planned to own a cat for a long while now, he probably knows what he's getting into, right?

Anyways, that aside, personal recommendation from me: if you've just moved in, it may not be prudent to buy a pet if you've just moved in; regardless of whether it be Dubai or otherwise. Considering how life can be rather...hectic at times, unless your absolutely sure you'll be in Dubai for a long time to come and are completely settled in (including having some prior savings handy to pay for the Vets and such), It'd be better holding off for a few months at least.

Of course, that's assuming you've been staying there only for a short while that is. If not, then you have my apologies, and can ignore the advise. ;)
Singh
Dubai Forum Visitor
Posts: 12

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
I don't think you can brand stray cats like that, it has nothing to do with it. The animal was probably just protecting its territory, and domestic cat can go bananas at any point in time.

And what's the difference between a stray kitten which has been brought into a home and domesticated and a kitten brought froma pet shop? Nothing! Do you think the animals in pet shops are handled everyday? No they're not, it makes no difference whatsoever.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005
User avatar
Posts: 12835

  • Reply
May 14, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:I don't think you can brand stray cats like that, it has nothing to do with it. The animal was probably just protecting its territory, and domestic cat can go bananas at any point in time.

And what's the difference between a stray kitten which has been brought into a home and domesticated and a kitten brought froma pet shop? Nothing! Do you think the animals in pet shops are handled everyday? No they're not, it makes no difference whatsoever.


I didn't say there was a difference when it came to kittens. But like it or not, there is a difference in the adults; although you admittedly have a point about Domestic cats going bananas. Still, its harder to tame a wild cat than it is to raise a domestic one, I believe.

In either case - this shouldn't be a reason to NOT adopt strays either (provided their not aggressive and such); so I agree with you in the sense that pet shops needn't be the only (and indeed, even primary) source to get cats. Its just that in some cases, its probably the most viable/only option available. This is especially true as breeders usually charge a lot, while wild strays are not always welcome (hey, you like them, I dont mind them - but their not everyone's cup of tea you know).
Singh
Dubai Forum Visitor
Posts: 12

  • Reply
May 15, 2007
Singh wrote:I didn't say there was a difference when it came to kittens. But like it or not, there is a difference in the adults; although you admittedly have a point about Domestic cats going bananas. Still, its harder to tame a wild cat than it is to raise a domestic one, I believe.

In either case - this shouldn't be a reason to NOT adopt strays either (provided their not aggressive and such); so I agree with you in the sense that pet shops needn't be the only (and indeed, even primary) source to get cats. Its just that in some cases, its probably the most viable/only option available. This is especially true as breeders usually charge a lot, while wild strays are not always welcome (hey, you like them, I dont mind them - but their not everyone's cup of tea you know).


Most logical and well structured post so far.

A refreshing change from the previous half-witted rhetorical responses which were pretty much in line with "OMG why don't u like strays u bastard?!!!11one".

To the people who still don't get it: everyone has his/her personal preference, so instead of whining and crying about how someone prefers certain types of cats to others, learn to respect people's opinions and not hijack their thread with your inane repetitive nonsense.
Medvezhonok
Dubai forums Addict
User avatar
Posts: 267

  • Reply
May 15, 2007
And that's fine my friend, as long as you take on board the fact that buying from a pet store will encourage more cruelty and theft.

Here's one for you! I rescued a little kitten this morning, after he was ceremoniously dumped on Diyafah street and was dodging the three lane traffic. I stopped my car, much to the annoyance of the other motorsists and rescued this poor little thing.

He's now making friends (sort of) with my other cat and dog.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005
User avatar
Posts: 12835

  • Reply
May 15, 2007
Double post
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005
User avatar
Posts: 12835

  • Reply
May 15, 2007
Triple post :roll:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005
User avatar
Posts: 12835

  • Reply
May 15, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:And that's fine my friend, as long as you take on board the fact that buying from a pet store will encourage more cruelty and theft.

Here's one for you! I rescued a little kitten this morning, after he was ceremoniously dumped on Diyafah street and was dodging the three lane traffic. I stopped my car, much to the annoyance of the other motorsists and rescued this poor little thing.

He's now making friends (sort of) with my other cat and dog.


are u going to be a crazy cat lady. please leave me all the money they usually have lot of money in grocery bags.
MAC
Dubai Expat Helper
Posts: 428

  • Reply
May 15, 2007
Well, at lively thread if nothing else!

My 2 Fils worth is as follows:

Long haired cats suffer a lot in the heat of Dubai, even if your apartment or villa is air-conditioned; we had and still have in fact, one (cat that is).

This necessitates trips to the vet at least 5 to 6 times a year for shaving and grooming; this is in addition to the hairball problem that they develop over time from self-grooming.

BTW the cat was adopted after it was found living on Jumerieh beach at the beginning of summer.
dbxsoul
Honored Member
User avatar
Posts: 1623
Location: Dubai

  • Reply
May 15, 2007
I brush my cat everyday, I have to as he's constantly molting. But he loves it. I wouldn't have said that clipping was particularly good idea, as the fur also insulats against heat as well as cold. That's what my vet told me anyway.

The little kittne has wor himself out hissing and spitting at the dog, who has a huge fascination with it. You've never seen something so small try to make itself look so big, like one of those cartoon cats running along on it's claws - it's hilarious.

The other cat, although not very impressed just gives it the odd sniff then wanders off and sleeps.

Don't know what to call him, he has these gigantic ears - looks like Gizmo from the Gremlins - maybe that's a good name.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005
User avatar
Posts: 12835

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum