Average Cost Of Living In Dubai

Topic locked
Average cost of living in Dubai Dec 17, 2005
Hi friends,

I am offered a job in Dubai.I wanted to know ... what is the average cost of living in Dubai for a single person excluding the appartment stuff.Also what will be the appartment rent required for single person and is it easy to get the appartment.

Thanks & Regards
Junaid

Junaid Azam
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 17, 2005
lots of valuable info on this board, if you use the search function you'll likely find all the answers you are looking for.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Re: Average cost of living in Dubai Dec 18, 2005
Junaid Azam wrote:Hi friends,

I am offered a job in Dubai.I wanted to know ... what is the average cost of living in Dubai for a single person excluding the appartment stuff.Also what will be the appartment rent required for single person and is it easy to get the appartment.

Thanks & Regards
Junaid

If your budget is rock bottom, then be prepared to spend anywhere between AED 800 to AED 1000 per month including rent, basic food, basic travel expenses in and around the city and a little for the extras. It cannot go lesser than AED 800 in Dubai at any cost. If your budget is little more high, then I would say AED 1200 would be comfortable for a bachelor who doesnt live life in the fast lane.. Of course, this is for a SHARED bachelor accomodation, which means you might have 1-2 people in your room sharing with you. If you are looking out for an independent one bedroom apartment of your own, it might cost around AED 1500 to AED 2000 per month atleast, just for the rent.

LLTT
LookingLondonTalkingTokyo
Dubai Forums Member

Thanks for the info..more questions Dec 18, 2005
Thanks brother.Actually I am offered an accomodation allowance of around 5000 AED.What do you say is it enough... i will be able to get good furnished accomodation for one person with this money and is it easy to find..?
Junaid Azam
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Thanks for the info..more questions Dec 18, 2005
Junaid Azam wrote:Thanks brother.Actually I am offered an accomodation allowance of around 5000 AED.What do you say is it enough... i will be able to get good furnished accomodation for one person with this money and is it easy to find..?

If you have 5000 AED to spend for rent, then worry no more. Just pack your bags, come here, and hunt for 2 hours. You will get plenty!

LLTT
LookingLondonTalkingTokyo
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 19, 2005
To reassure youself about the cost for accomodation go to the Gulf News classifieds online and a place like www.dubizzle.com. You'll see that the monthly allowance is more than adequate. These online sites (another is Kaleej times) will also help you determine the cost of cars too. For other stuff like groceries do a search in the archives-I know I've replied to these sort of requests before and so have others....you'll find dbxsoul's replies really helpful (he answered loads of questions I had before we arrived and they were spot on!!)- Carrefour, from memory also has its weekly specials online and this can be a good indicator of COL. It does depend on where you shop of course, but briefly here are a few indicators from my shopping list:
1 litre milk DH5
1 loaf white bread DH3 to DH7
2 litre juice DH10
24 cheese slice DH10.50
1 litre of cream DH 12
Australian Lamb chops DH 28 per kg
Australia beef mince DH 18 per kg
Chicken breast fillets DH26 to DH30 per kg
Australian Rib eye steak DH 32 per kg
2 litre tub Baskin Robbins icecream DH30
1.2 kg fresh whole chicken around DH15
30 fresh eggs DH12
Fish seems to be cheap and around the DH30 per kg up but Hammour is especially nice and considered to be a "local" fish. Overall fruit and veg varies in price according to the season and also according to it's origin. Currently mangoes are very expensive at around DH25 per kg, cherries (close to Xmas though) at Dh33 per kg. But apples are around Dh4 per kg, bananas Dh3 per kg, carrots Dh3 per kg,ya/ nashi pears Dh2 to DH3 per kg, watermelon Dh2.90 per kg (this is expensive tho as a few weeks back it was around Dh1 per kg)
Eating out varies too. Local bakeries and small restaurants without alcohol are cheap as are fast food places like KFC, Hardees, McDonald's, Burger King, Pizza Hut which all deliver. If you eat at Hotels some have buffets plus all you can drink ( INCLUDING alcohol) for LESS than DH150 per person and these are really nice places.
If you are moving get hold of a Dubai Explorer, the must have book and when you get here get The Connector free book and What's On and Time Out magazines.
Hope you haven't fallen asleep!! Cheers!!
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 20, 2005
I think you can spend as little or as much as you like in Dubai, it's that kinda place. If you can resist the urge to slurge then you can live pretty cheaply.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 24, 2005
Thanks GAB and Chocoholic.This Info is really helpful to me.Especially GAB for giving me a detail answer.
Junaid Azam
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum