Antenatal Care, Giving Birth In Dubai And Location Advice

Topic locked
Antenatal care, giving birth in Dubai and location advice Jan 21, 2006
Hi!

I am 15 weeks pregnant and we will be moving to Dubai in February 2006 from London. I need some enlightment in several topics.

I wanted to have some information about hospitals in Dubai, as I will need to have antenatal care and give birth over there. Has anyone had their babies there? How was your experience? Was there a big cultural shock? I already have a 22-month-old son born in London, so it would be interesting to know of anyone who had had babies both in the UK and the UAE.

What about maternity clothes and baby products? I have only been to Dubai once (at the time not really paying any attention to baby shops!) and I am aware there are more shops than people! But what big brands are ready available for babies? What about baby food and formula milk? Is there anything that you actually miss and wished you had brought with you?

I would also like to know about nice and safe areas to live in Dubai. Don't know yet where exactly will my husband work be, but I would guess is somewhere near Jumeirah Beach. About rentals, is there a minimum length? I think we would like to buy a place in the near future, but with the baby we would probably rent first and once settled start looking for a place of our own. Are there any restrictions for foreigners to buy property in Dubai?

Finally, how complicated is it to get domestic help? Are there any agencies? What has been your personal experience? I would prefere someone to come a few days a week, as opposed to a live-in maid. Any idea how much would it cost?

Thanks so much!

Julieta!

Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2006
Phew!!! that's quite a few q's. Have had two kids here...but it seems you are looking more for a comparision with UK (which I will not be able to do for you - coz I am Indian and was born here). Why don't you ask in the forums on www.expatmum.com.

Anyway, you will not have too many problems, if you have insuarance and can afford to go to Welcare or the American hospital. The Government hospitals are not really bad....but your choice is not given as much importance...you have to work around it.

You'll find almost everything here from the whole world, so don't worry too much on that. If you are looking for specific brands just ask so I can advise...have a 4 year old and a 2 month baby myself.

Some brands coming to mind at this hour with a baby in my lap are:
Mothercare, Next Kids to Maire Claire and Armani(!)
Avent products are available everywhere so is Medela
Maternity - Thyme, Wool worths, Benetton, Mothercare

Cheers
audreygaur
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2006
Thanks Audrey,

Where did you have your babies? I am just not sure wether foreigners are entitled to public health system after becoming residents. I will have private insurance, but does not cover maternity (especially since I am already pregnant) So I will have to foot the bill at a private hospital...well, you can't win the all!

I have heard good comments about the American Hospital. What about the Welcare one? Where is it?

About baby brands, do you know if you can find pushchairs by Phil&Ted (from New Zealand)? They have the most fantastic double buggy and want to know if I can find it there or have to bring it from here.

What about Formula Milk? Do you know the general brands available? (Hipp Organic, Aptamil...hmmm, can't remember any other!) Are there any organic baby food/jars? Guess not much to do about it anyway, as I can't really travel with tons of baby food and formula milk! I will have to do with whatever is available, but will be good to know and either not worry (as I can find it there) nor having my hopes too high (if they are not available)

Thanks again!

J!
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2006
Hi Julieta,

This is the place to find organic products. (Thanks to Fayz who first told me about it!) http://www.organicfoodsandcafe.com/

There is a store in Satwa, but if you are living in the Greens or Emirates Hills area you can visit the one close to the Greens.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 25, 2006
Thanks Canelli,

No idea where anything is just yet, will have to find out soon!

I am not an organic maniac mum or nothing like it, it's just that here most of the baby jars (Heinz, Gerber, Cow and Gate, Hipp Organic) are organic and also have a good variety of baby food jars (from pasta, currys, paellas, noodles to sweet and sour chicken!) How is the variety over there? I just had a very bad experience with the quality/variety of baby food in Venezuela...my baby was not very impressed! So it's good to know how is it in Dubai, so I can get used to teh idea of whatever is available.

Cheers,

J!
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2006
I haven't really looked at the selection because I don't have any babies yet. :)

What about making your own baby food? The advantages are that you know what is in it and you can make it how baby likes it. My guess is it will be cheaper too, and you don't need to do much special shopping for it because you will be eating similar foods anyhow. Of course, the disadvantage is that it takes more time to make your own baby food than buy it off the shelf.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 25, 2006
Dear Kanelli,

You are in for a big suprise whne you'll have children, ha,ha! You'll see you have no spare time whatsoever! I do manage to cook for my baby, but it is also convenient to have jars when you go out. Luckily my son used to like both options, before he started his fussy eating phase a few months ago (but that's another story!)
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2006
No fair...I typed a huge message trying to answer your queries with little baby in my lap all the time.......and voila the message didn;t upload and I lost all my work. prob better we chat on messenger for the delivery details will pm once baby gives me a chance too
audreygaur
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2006
kanelli wrote:Hi Julieta,

This is the place to find organic products. (Thanks to Fayz who first told me about it!) http://www.organicfoodsandcafe.com/

There is a store in Satwa, but if you are living in the Greens or Emirates Hills area you can visit the one close to the Greens.

I see Fayz has come through once again........what a sweet guy he is :)
kelly1966
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 26, 2006
Hi Julieta
I have just moved out here to Dubai from London as my husband has been transferred with his work. I am currently 25 weeks pregnant and it is our first child. Therefore, I can tell you of my experiences so far and can only compare them to the UK in terms of what I've heard from friends and the care I experienced before I left the UK (up to 18 weeks).

I am going to the American Hospital and so far have found them excellent. They are very professional, friendly, keen to help and in comparison to the UK, private healthcare is cheap! I think the going rate for private natal care in the UK comes out at about £10k, over here it would be half that, most probably under half (£3-5k). Just the more complicated the care gets, the more you need and you pay for it, so if you are an easy patient and have natural childbirth and don't stay in long, the price drops dramatically. Have a look at the American Hospital website, they quote some "packages" to give you an idea of the cost. I understand that the Welcare Hospital is very good too, the only blip to the Welcare is it is on the otherside of the creek (from Jumeirah) and I don't think you want to get stuck in traffic when in labour! I registered at the American Hospital long before I came out here and we were lucky to get in, so do give them a call and book in, I imagine you can always cancel if you want to.

In terms of the state hospitals, the Al Wasl has a very good medical reputation (and you get sent there if any major complications whilst going privately), the same as you would from private to NHS in the UK. I steared away from state care (yes, once a resident you are entitled to this) just because as it is our first baby I wanted some tlc and to be able to call the shots a bit (epidural etc), which I understand is trickier at the Al Wasl. But again I stress, this is just what I've heard, others may correct me on this and I have heard good things about it.

I think where you choose to live might be determined by your husbands work to avoid as much traffic as possible. Having only been here a month, I can't comment!

As regards a maid, it is very common over here, so much more common than having an au pair in the UK. Live in is very popular, but you can put an advert up for what you want and may have some luck, or you'll have to go through an agency and pay by the hour (again, cheaper than the UK).

As regards buying baby gear out here, I've been a bit disappointed. Yes, they have mothercare and you can get key brands, but certainly in terms of prams the selection is really poor If you are looking for Phil & Teds, Bugaboo, Silver Cross, Mamas and Papas - good luck! My search continues otherwise I'm getting one brought over from the UK. There just isn't the range that there is in the UK/US which is odd giving the shopping focus here. Mothercare can order a lot in, but it isn't the full range of the UK and they miss a John Lewis!

Again,I can't help you with the organic baby food as not at that stage yet, but do suggest you visit expatmum website as they will help.

I suggest you buy the book Dubai Explorer, it really is very very good and will answer so many of your questions, and point you in the right direction.

Good luck, Moomin
Moomin
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 26, 2006
Moomin did you visit the Mother, Baby and Child exhibition they had a wide variety of prams there, don't know the exact brand names, but they were very trendy ones with three wheelers and loads of options.

Al Wasl hospital is the one I would recommend if you insist on going to Govt hosp. I had several issues with my preg hence even at Al Wasl I ended up spending AED18K+. Most normal pregnancies would spend about AED6K at Al Wasl, including delivery. Another issue at Al Wasl is you would very likely not have a pvt room. They have very few of these and first priority is given to locals, so your room (and bath) would be shared with up to 3 others.

Go for Private has Moomin mentioned it is not that expensive relative to the good package that you'll must be coming to Dubai on. You may feel left out at Al Wasl as there are very few 'whites' let along 'Brits' receiving antenatal care there. Mostly Middle Eastern and subcontinent and some Far Easterners.
audreygaur
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2006
The range of organic baby foods is however quite limited, quite a few brands have come in and gone out. They have not been able to capture the market due to substantially higher prices.

Currently there is only Baby Nat in the organics range. The Heinz, Hipp, Milupa, Farleys brands here do not say they are organix, so I would assume they are not. There is a decent variety available however with baby foods in general, but most brands or flavours such has Chicken, beef, etc come in and then vanish...seems there's very little demand.
audreygaur
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2006
Hello All!

Unfortunately I didn't make the baby fair as I've only been here 3 weeks and have been moving in, so that is a shame. So apologies Julietta if my info isn't full, just from a first glance that is my view, but I am planning to visit a couple of "non mall" stores in the next few weeks so will let you know what I spot! I have heard Bugaboo are coming here in about 1 month. Just from a first glance I was expecting more given all the shops and most people I've met didn't buy their baby gear here!

I really have heard excellent things about the medical care at Al Wasl, only there are no luxuries so it really depends what you want. We aren't covered by health insurance and if in the UK it is highly unlikely we'd be going privately due to the cost and also the excellent NHS service.

Moomin
Moomin
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 26, 2006
Hi!

Thanks so much for your extensive replies! They were so helpful.

Moomin,

Good to know that you are happy withe the antenatal care so far. I think I'll probably go to the American Hospital as well, how far is it from Jumeirah and Umm Sequim (don't have a place just yet, but guess we'll be looking around there because of my husband's work) Have got 2 conflicted opinions about it (one it was close, another one that it wasn't!) Where are you? How long did it take to get there? (I know it depends on the traffic, which I am already dreadind according to everyone!)

I do have private insurance, but doesn't cover pregnancy. So I will have to pay, and probably on the top end, as I am planning to have an elective cesarean (had an emergency one with my first baby and it was great, no problems whatsoever, so will definitely have another one) But again, it's so much cheaper then here. I had my son on the NHS, at Queen Charlotte's, and it was fine.

Have you joined any mums group? I have heard a lot about this expatmums one. I would definitely give them a call as soon as I settle in. Have you made any friends yet or have been too busy settling in?

Thanks about the input about shops there. I think I'll take my Phil&Teds from here. By the way, if you are planning to have a second baby soon, I would strongly recommend it. I wished they had it in the UK 2 years ago! It would have saved me a lot of money (this would be my 3rd pram in 2 years, and hopefully the last one!) God, I am going to miss John Lewis too! And Petit Bateau, I think there isn't one there, am I right?

Finally, where did you get the Dubai explorer? It's the second time someone has recommended it, so will try to get it before leaving.

Audrey,

Well, if I had any doubt about going private, after your message not a chance, ha,ha! That sharing toilet comment really put me off!

About jars, you mentioned Hipp, is it widely available? Do they sell the Hipp Organic Formula Milk? I hope so, as that was the one my son drank and it was fantastic.

I am off to Dubai in about 3 weeks, I am sure I will think of a thousand more questions to ask until then. I don't know a soul there, so if any of you want to meet, please contact me on julietahamdan@hotmail.com.

Thanks so much

J!
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2006
Hi Julieta

In the few weeks I've been here I've already met some nice people through various gatherings, and imagine for you already having a child you will meet people very quickly as this is a very quick intro (lots of mummy/baby & toddler groups).

From my limited experience with the American hospital I cannot recommend them highly enough and we are glad we are happy to pay out for it. I hope my views don't change!

We got Dubai Explorer from one of the bookstores like Waterstones, or perhaps you can order it online from Amazon. Otherwise, if your husband is out here, he can buy it out here, or buy it as soon as you arrive.

Re time travel to the hospital, it is very difficult to comment because as you say, the traffic varies at different times of the day. I am the next junction up (towards the Marina) from Umm Sequim and travelling on the main motorway at "normal" hours and not driving like a hoon it takes me about 30 mins. I'm sure you can do it quicker, only I'm not so road savvy yet. I deliberately book my appointments out of peak times. From what I can tell Jumeira is a huge area and it depends what end you are at, but it is the same distance to American as it is to Al Wasl.

DO NOT leave the Phil & Teds at home, if you find you don't want it once you are here, then you would sell it in a flash I'm sure. I have not seen Petit Bateau out here (check the internet) so stock up! So many stores, but lacking the trusty John Lewis!

Good luck, let us know when you are here.

Moomin
Moomin
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 27, 2006
Hi Moomin,

So you are in Umm Sequiem. Is it nicer than Jumeirah or about the same? My husband will be working in Umm S, so I guess that will be our first option, due to the traffic (it's bad enough that he'll have to work 5.5 days a week, so don't fancy him spending hours in traffic!)

How did you find your place? Through an agency or did your husband's work find it for you? We'll be staying in a company's flat the first month, so I have a month to sort out finding a flat, and a hospital, and some new furniture! So no worries whatsoever, very relaxed about it!

Haven't got a Phil& Ted just yet, that's in my (neverending) to do list!

Is there an M&S? I think I saw somewhere that they sponsor an mum's club or something, but don't remeber seeing one when I went to Dubai a few years ago (was not realy looking for one, to be honest!) Just wondering.

I think I'll be arriving on the 19th Feb. I'll keep you posted.

J!
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2006
Another question, how baby friendly is Dubai?

I am talking about baby changing facilities, highchairs in restaurants and in general people's attitude to screaming tots!

Ta

J!
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2006
Julieta
I don't live in Umm Suqeim, I live one junction on, so I can't comment about living there or Jumeirah. My husband found our apartment when he came out for work on a few trips before we moved out. I understand it is a painful experience finding somewhere to live and I'm so pleased he sorted it before we moved out, I know he found it very stressful. So I would have your husband's work help you.

As regards is Dubai baby/child friendly, I cannot talk from personal experience because we don't yet have children, but I see a lot of children and families and all seems fine!

Yes, there is an M&S in Wafi City Mall, sells clothes and has a very small food section selling some cereals, preserves, biscuits etc from their range. There's also a Debenhams and a small BHS.

Good luck with the move!
Moomin
Moomin
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 28, 2006
There is another M&S (full 2 storey showroom) in Deira next to ToysRus and Reef Mall. Dubai is starting to get baby friendly. I was pleasantly surprised to note a sign that New Bur Juman (a huge shopping mall) has baby changing facilities in the Men's toilet also....they need to have more of that. Having said that the older malls mostly don't have feeding rooms, however the best thing to do is go back to the car and feed the baby. Public feeding is not very common.

Has for screaming toddlers, I would think the tolerance is probably more...given that the locals usually have more kids and are more boisterous! Of course I don't take the little ones every where, esp where people are paying quite a bit to have a nice time. Generally Dubai is a loud city and our little babies probably make lesser sound than some of the adults!!

Going back to the Al Wasl thingy ...yes you are right its horrible to share a toilet, esp just after delivery! I did not get a pvt room the second time round and the toilet sharing was .... :roll:
audreygaur
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2006
Audrey,

Good to know about baby changing facilities for dads, as my husband is usually on nappy duty when we go out, ha,ha! (and weekends, and evenings, and...as much as he can!)

Sorry to hear about your experience in your shared toilet at the hospital! Well, if it makes you feel better, it even happens here in the UK. I heard a very disgusting story of a friend of mine who gave birth in London and the toilet (although ensuite) was all full of blood, as well as the sheets! Luckily I had a better experience, so I guess it's like everything in life, a matter of luck!
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum