Dubai World Cup

Topic locked
Dubai World Cup Mar 20, 2007
Who's going to the races?

Saturday March 31st at Nad Al Sheba.

Entrance to International Village 175dhs.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Dubai World Cup Mar 20, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Who's going to the races?

Saturday March 31st at Nad Al Sheba.

Entrance to International Village 175dhs.

Yep, I'll be there.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 20, 2007
Can't wait, it'll be the first time since I've been in Dubai, that I'm not working that event, so I can actually just enjoy myself.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 22, 2007
I'll be there. Looking forward to it!

I loved going to the races in Australia.

Doncaster Derby Day in Randwick would probably rank as the best race day to attend in Australia. Even better than the Melbourne Cup and Derby Day in Melbourne for the Spring Carnival.

If anyone has been to any of the Oz Carnivals as well as the World Cup how dos it compare. Gambling aside.
SNA33Y
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 23, 2007
We wouldn't miss it. It is brilliant and looking forward to it.
dubai girl
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 25, 2007
hey guys, if you all coming there, do drop in at the Rock Bottom Cafe tent. In all probabilities, you may find me there ....... working!!!!!! :cry: :cry:
rahul in dxb
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2007
rahul in dxb wrote:hey guys, if you all coming there, do drop in at the Rock Bottom Cafe tent. In all probabilities, you may find me there ....... working!!!!!! :cry: :cry:

Australia play a Super 8 game that day.... this could be tough.

Can I be in two places at once?
Dr.D
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2007
OOohohhh I got my race dress yesterday, very excited. I lvoe all the pampering that us girlies get to do in the run up.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 26, 2007
I can relate the races only to betting :?
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 26, 2007
we are going.

Wearing shorts, sandals, tee-shirts, no make-up just to piss off all the wannabes!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 26, 2007
I've heard that the World Cup might be dry :shock: Up to about 6 pm anyways because of a holiday!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 26, 2007
Concord wrote:I've heard that the World Cup might be dry :shock: Up to about 6 pm anyways because of a holiday!

Quite possibly.
^ian^

Mar 26, 2007
Eh that's fine. THe first race isn't till 5 something anyway. Just means people will goa bit later on in the day. Plus there's still loads going on. Why do people assume there always has to be booze available to have a good time - that's just sad.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 26, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Eh that's fine. THe first race isn't till 5 something anyway. Just means people will goa bit later on in the day. Plus there's still loads going on. Why do people assume there always has to be booze available to have a good time - that's just sad.

Yeah... who says you can't have fun without alcohol?
Dr.D
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Eh that's fine. THe first race isn't till 5 something anyway. Just means people will goa bit later on in the day. Plus there's still loads going on. Why do people assume there always has to be booze available to have a good time - that's just sad.

Why are you assuming that?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 26, 2007
I'm not assuming anything but people always use it as an excuse.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 26, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:I'm not assuming anything but people always use it as an excuse.

An excuse for what?
Dr.D
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2007
To not go for things, or people always moan if an event is dry. Who cares, go have fun anyway.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 26, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:To not go for things, or people always moan if an event is dry. Who cares, go have fun anyway.

Just have a few drinks before you go.
^ian^

Mar 26, 2007
See again, why do you have to drink at all? Is it really going to make such a big difference?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 26, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:See again, why do you have to drink at all? Is it really going to make such a big difference?

Hella yeah!
Dr.D
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 26, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:I'm not assuming anything but people always use it as an excuse.

hey I was just being "informative'.

Now that you mention it - I won't go.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 26, 2007
Concord wrote:

hey I was just being "informative'.

Now that you mention it - I won't go.

If you want to go, C-Man is organising something.

PM me for details.... if you want to go.
^ian^

Mar 27, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
If you want to go, C-Man is organising something.

PM me for details.... if you want to go.

Thanks Ian but I don't like the exploitation of animals, horses included, just so that people can "dress up" and be seen.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 27, 2007
C, horse racing is as age old as anything. Those horses are better looked after than most human beings. And trust me, you can't force a horse to run or jump, it has to want to do it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 27, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:C, horse racing is as age old as anything. Those horses are better looked after than most human beings. And trust me, you can't force a horse to run or jump, it has to want to do it.

That is of course until they break their leg, and are then promptly shot as they are of no value anymore.
^ian^

Mar 27, 2007
But that's the same with anything. I've owned and trained horses most of my life. If a horse, any horse breaks a leg, it can't be fixed as you cannot get a horse to keep it's weight off it's legs for the months that it would take to heal. Plus the chances of the leg healing properly enough, to the animal to be able to walk, trot, canter normally again are pretty slim. So sadly having the horse put down is very often the only course of action.

I have heard of ponies having broken legs fixed, however, they were more family pets, than competiting animals.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 27, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:But that's the same with anything. I've owned and trained horses most of my life. If a horse, any horse breaks a leg, it can't be fixed as you cannot get a horse to keep it's weight off it's legs for the months that it would take to heal.

Where there's a will there's a way Chocs... and FWIW, this is the 21st Century and horse leg repair has been available for some time.

No, the Horse will never race again, but they can walk/canter, and they can live out their existence happily eating hay.

I have heard of ponies having broken legs fixed, however, they were more family pets, than competiting animals.

Of course. Whip an animal until it's useless, then shoot it. That's competitive horse racing.

Personally, I go to the races for other reasons, have never been comfortable with the treatment of the animals.
^ian^

Mar 27, 2007
I don't agree with the use of whipping horses in racing, and there are fines for jockey's who over use their whips, or crops to use the correct term.

Crops should only be used if the horse is misbehaving, it's like spanking a child. Certainly that's the only time I would ever use one, but when I ride I rarely carry one. But of course there are many items that can be cruel if used incorrectly. Spurs, which should be used only to highten the leg aids can be abused, as can various bits that are available, some look like torture items.

The trouble is in racing, unlike eventing, the jockey's don't really build a relationship with their horses. In eventing you would ride the same horse over and over, you have it at home and look after the animal, so you build a bond and know what each other are capable of.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 27, 2007
There are ways to mend a broken leg in horsews, but very often it's not worth the risk of damaging the healthy legs. You'd have to sling the horse. Because of their circulatory system, they require to distribute their weight evenly. If weight is distributed unevenly onto the healthy legs, they can end up with laminitis, which is incredibly painful and in most cases warrants the horse being put down anyway, as basically the hoof swells and crumbles from the inside out. Not only that, they could end up with splints (excess boney growth) on the other legs.

Slinging a horse for months on end would be horrendous on the animal.

Sadly in the majority of cases it boils down to cost. Is the cost of fixing the leg worth it if you can't use the horse afterwards?

If the animal is a champion stallion or brood mare, then maybe as you just put them to stud. But sadly in most cases it's not worth it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai EventsForum Rules

Return to Dubai Events