Where To Eat In Ramadan?

Topic locked
Where to eat in Ramadan? Jul 11, 2011
I will travel to Dubai in Ramadan for a couple of days. All my manager's fault! I insisted to go before or after but apprently those people i need to meet are just available in Ramadan!

So are there any restaurants open in Ramadan? Is it prohibited to eat in public in the fasting hours like Iran? I sooo hate that! :x

melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Where To Eat In Ramadan? Jul 11, 2011
Mel,

Pretty much business as usual in eating places that are Hidden from public view.

Bars if your interested open around 7.30 in the evening where most places are open by that time.

It's good to go to an Iftar in Dubai.

Only thing missing is music.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Re: Where to eat in Ramadan? Jul 12, 2011
Mel. I once went to an Iftar buffet in the Royal Mirage. It was lovely! I so love that hotel!

When are you going to be in Dubai Mel?
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Where To Eat In Ramadan? Jul 12, 2011
Thanks guys. I hope in our office we have a place to eat! I know lots of my colleagues there are lebanese or Syrian, so they might fast. :( I dont want to stop eating and drinking water for whole day for 2 weeks! :((

BM, I will reply that in PM. ;)
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

drewpeacock wrote:Only thing missing is music.

Correction, the only thing missing is LIVE music! Bars such as Longs have the music thumping out in the evenings. Ok, they're not allowed to have a dj, but they just whack on cd's. The way they can do this, is the law was always that background music can be as loud as the ambient noise - so the busier a place is, the louder the ambient noise = the louder the music!

Pretty much all places deliver during Ramadan too.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I know of one very nice place for Iftar. :wink: I also have a connection where I can get a nice table at a lovely Ramadan tent that I can take you to. :wink: (Reservation for 3?)

I'm a bad Muslim. I do a quasi-fast which is coffee and ciggies only!!! Hubby is the good Muslim, so I do prepare Iftar. I used to do several dishes for Iftar but have brought it back to the basics - as it should be - I keep it very simple. You will love my kusheef (Egyptian fruit mix to break fast).

Soooo looking forward to seeing you. :D
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Iftar's are nice. But I have a major issue with the buffet style ones, where it seems everyone's soul intention to pile their plates with as much food as they can, stuff their faces, go back for more and more and half the food gets thrown away - slightly misses the point and spirit of Ramadan.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Iftar's are nice. But I have a major issue with the buffet style ones, where it seems everyone's soul intention to pile their plates with as much food as they can, stuff their faces, go back for more and more and half the food gets thrown away - slightly misses the point and spirit of Ramadan.

It is for those very reasons Chocs that I make it a point to have Iftar at home. The buffet waste is unbelieveable, not to mention the greed!!! I got sick of going to restaurants and watching the waste, especially when restaurants can't give the left over food to the poor - for health reasons - riiiiight!!!! I swore that most of the people took a laxative so that they can get more food into them!!!! You had those who would go to the buffet, fill their plate to the top (stopping point was when food started falling off the mound), eat, leave half a plate of food and then go do a refill, only to do the same. At home it's soup, salad, one or two mezza, one main and usually fruit for desert.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Good for you BB, that's the way it should be done. Plus you know, there's nothing like a home-made preparation.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I love iftars in Iran too. They are plenty of food they just prepare in Ramadan. My main concern is not iftar. but how I'm going to survive in the office? :lol:

In Iran I know all the ways to hide or restaurants which serve food, but in Dubai I need some expert ideas.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Mel, many eateries and outlets in malls are open, they're just cordoned off. Most places also deliver. The majority of offices will have a special area for non-fasters to eat and drink. Just don't eat, drink or smoke out in public.

It's really not a hardship here at all.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

That's good news Chocs. Can you please name some of these eateries and outlets close to Media city if you know any. Thanks.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:That's good news Chocs. Can you please name some of these eateries and outlets close to Media city if you know any. Thanks.

Hard to do at this point, as you won't actually know until Ramadan starts which ones will be open or just open for delivery. But if you're in Media city all the hotels will be open for business and places in Mall of the Emirates too.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I hate buffets in Ramadan, and have to agree with most of your about how stupid is it to eat that much and waste that much in one meal :S (it is called Break-fast, or iftar).

about open shops Mel, I know that all or most of delivery shops open by 4 anyway because they start taking taking orders, but I guess once you arrive there people will provide you with a list of rests that open during the day...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

I got no idea what places are open during day time, but I enjoy the family gatherings and the desserts :mrgreen:
I'll be going to Turkey for a short trip during Ramadan to experience Tarawih prayers with Turks (on their Hanafi style) in Sultan Ahmad mosque (Istanbul) and Samiliye grand mosque (Edirne), and offcourse the delicious Iftar from the Turkish cusine ;)

Mahmood, I once attended a Friday prayers in Salimiye grand mosque of Edirne, and it was really an interesting experience to pray on the Hanafi school, one of the main 4 schools of Sunnism. The Hanafi school was set by the Persian scholar Abi Hanifa Marzaban. Its spread in North East Iran, all Central Asia, India, Pakistan, parts of Iraq, and Syria.
There are not much of differences than the Shafie school which I follow, but the way they conduct it is very spiritual. Orders of conducting it, and the recitings of in between prayers are just lovely :)
symmetric
BANNED

Re: Where To Eat In Ramadan? Nov 17, 2014
Hey melika969,

Share your query with Etisalat Yellowpages team and you will get the best solution.

Contact Us +97142500222
aazim
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat