When Do You Flip Your Mattress?

Topic locked
When Do You Flip Your Mattress? May 16, 2013
Well, with all this talk of football and other sports, I thought I would change the subject a little to something that is so important in our lives but we rarely talk about it.

I mean the mattress that you sleep on :D .

I was reminded of this by a friend today. Him and his wife are not on talking terms since a few days, and it is all because of the lowly mattress.

I never gave this part of my furniture much thought.
When I was little my grandma made her own mattresses! She had vast fields of cotton crops, and some of those she used for hers, and our mattresses. She had lots of slaves (i.e lowly paid servants, just like Dubai :D ) who did all the manual labour; and she just supervised.
When I went to England, I worked at jobs that sucked our blood and then screwed us, but they provided "free and furnished accommodation", with some lovely mattresses thrown in.
Then I moved to Dubai. Here, life was even kinder. I was given a "furniture allowance" that looked like a small fortune to us. We even considered whether we should just do a runner after collecting our furniture allowance, and spent a couple of weeks sleeping on the bare carpets in air-conditioned luxury on the 40th floor! Better sense prevailed,however, and we had many good sleeps in Dubai..... :D
In N America, I came face to face with the prospect of buying a mattress for the first time in my life, using my own real money! It cost an arm and a leg!
It was unbelievable.

So, I settled for a $400/ one, but I soon discovered that it had a strong mind of its own when it bent in all directions and I woke up with a slight back-ache every morning.

Finally I bought a bed and a mattress for the cost of a mid-sized family saloon car. To cut a long story short, I was given a lecture on how to "care for my new mattress"!

You are supposed to flip it every six months, from end to end, side to side, and upside down.

My friend apparently followed this advice, and six months after buying his mattress, flipped it!
That was his undoing. He is twice the size of his wife, and his wife told him that after the flip, she fell into "the crater" on his side of the mattress. The flip didnt last long. Only about 24 hours, when it was reversed.
But they are not talking to each other now.

Have you ever flipped your mattress??

Jonkers
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: When Do You Flip Your Mattress? May 16, 2013
Funnily enough I was just admiring my mattress the other day when I was changing the bed. I didn't flip it as I didn't want to do my back in.

It still seems to be as firm as the day I bought it, 20 years ago. I suppose I really should buy a new one but it looks as if it will last a few years yet.

It's out lasted two husbands :)
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: When Do You Flip Your Mattress? May 16, 2013
BMreformed wrote:I didn't flip it as I didn't want to do my back in.

A very good decision.
"Back care" takes precedence over "mattress care"!
I dont flip mine for the same reason :D
Jonkers
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: When Do You Flip Your Mattress? May 18, 2013
I dont use mattress at all. straight wooden bed, with very think blanket on it.
SanaRabbani
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: When Do You Flip Your Mattress? May 20, 2013
What are "think blankets"?
jmbrgroup
Dubai Forums Member

Re: When Do You Flip Your Mattress? May 22, 2013
SanaRabbani wrote:I dont use mattress at all. straight wooden bed, with very think blanket on it.

So you too take good care of your back. Good.
Jonkers
Dubai Forums Frequenter

jmbrgroup wrote:What are "think blankets"?

Think about it.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Think about it.

:lol:
jmbrgroup
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat