What Will Happen To Dubai's Camel Racecourse?

Topic locked
What will happen to Dubai's camel racecourse? Jun 17, 2011
Hey everyone. I'm very much interested in all the architectural developments that have occurred in Dubai over the past few years. Such extensive construction projects as Dubailand and Business Bay greatly intrigue me. My wish to gain more and more information regarding the progress of these works is one of the reasons as to why I joined these forums.

So for all you expats living in Dubai- I have a couple of questions regarding one particular locality near Downtown Dubai.

There appears to be a vast stretch of empty land located in Al Markada- in the area between Business Bay and the Meydan Racecourse. According to Wikipedia, that land is actually a camel racecourse.

Will anything be done to that camel racecourse within the next ten years? Or will it simply be left alone?

Do any expats here know for sure? Does anyone have any information?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Jericho79
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: What Will Happen To Dubai's Camel Racecourse? Jun 17, 2011
Then you're on the wrong forum mate. Try skyscrapercity.com instead
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: What Will Happen To Dubai's Camel Racecourse? Jun 17, 2011
I actually tried Skyscrapercity. No one there had any information either.

So I thought about trying here.
Jericho79
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: What will happen to Dubai's camel racecourse? Jun 17, 2011
probably nothing will happen there for a LONG TIME! I know there are some stables there. Also there is a small airstrip for paragliders which were used for Meydan launch, now that strip is being used by expats and local for their RC club! I dont think anything will happen there! They have got other things on the plate once they have sorted that out than MAYBE!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: What will happen to Dubai's camel racecourse? Jun 20, 2011
Jericho79 wrote:Hey everyone. I'm very much interested in all the architectural developments that have occurred in Dubai over the past few years. Such extensive construction projects as Dubailand and Business Bay greatly intrigue me. My wish to gain more and more information regarding the progress of these works is one of the reasons as to why I joined these forums.

So for all you expats living in Dubai- I have a couple of questions regarding one particular locality near Downtown Dubai.

There appears to be a vast stretch of empty land located in Al Markada- in the area between Business Bay and the Meydan Racecourse. According to Wikipedia, that land is actually a camel racecourse.

Will anything be done to that camel racecourse within the next ten years? Or will it simply be left alone?

Do any expats here know for sure? Does anyone have any information?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

a new one has been built in al marmoom area where the races are being held, probably bigger and better, i havent been there yet.
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Re: What will happen to Dubai's camel racecourse? Jun 21, 2011
general_A wrote:a new one has been built in al marmoom area where the races are being held, probably bigger and better, i havent been there yet.

Where is the al marmoom area located?
Jericho79
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: What Will Happen To Dubai's Camel Racecourse? Jun 21, 2011
you take al ain road as if going to al ain, it is somewhere after the bridge that takes you to oman and sharjah.
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

7ayyo el hejen lem'6ammerati :mrgreen:
symmetric
BANNED

7ayhom elbado
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

We need more Emaratis here ya General :D
symmetric
BANNED

we do actualy lol
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Re: What will happen to Dubai's camel racecourse? Jul 18, 2011
Hey guys. Thanks for all the info on the camel racecourse.

Right now, I just would like to get your opinion on something.

Do you think it would be possible for the camel racecourse in Al Marqadh to function as a concert venue?

I've been entertaining this idea ever since U2 put on two massive concerts at the Hippodrome de Montréal, which used to be a horse racing track.

And later this month, U2 are scheduled to conclude their world tour at Moncton's Magnetic Hill, which is essentially a vast, open field.

Just imagine U2's colossal stage setup at Dubai's camel racecourse in Al Marqadh. If U2 were able to travel to the UAE, I personally believe that their touring stage structure would easily fit inside the racecourse.

Do you guys think the camel racecouse would be suitable enough to host large-scale concerts by such international superstars as U2?
Jericho79
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: What will happen to Dubai's camel racecourse? Jul 18, 2011
Undoubtedly it would.

However: U2 will never hold a concert in Dubai for several reasons:

1. It would be in Abu Dhabi as the government there would effectively pay for it.
2. It would never break even as there are just not enough people in the region who could afford the ticket price
3. The logistics of putting on a gig of this size are huge in terms of the infrastructure needed. An open field site does not have the basics such as water, drainage, hard line power, access, perimeter security etc. All these things cost heavily.
4. The scheduling of a tour involves the aspects of being able to ship in the equipment, set up and break down time, flying in the crew, support staff, testing and then bringing the talent to perform. The dates have to be planned like a military operation months or even years in advance and no-one here can make a decision until the very last minute. By then, its too late to fit it in as it would take the entire set up out of the loop for about 3 weeks. Not viable when the band need to be in consecutive viable paying venues week after week.

I did the Electric Light Orchestra Out of the Blue european tour many years ago and the only way we could get to each venue in time was to have 2 identical stage sets that leap-frogged from venue to venue. This ended up as 24 x 40ft trucks, 6 tour buses, a touring crew of 120 staff and local crew of 350. The stage build at each location was 4 days, 2 days rehearsal, 1 night performance, 2 days breakdown and pack, 2 - 3 days transit to the next location, 1 day rest and then start the whole process all over again. 24 stadium venues in 6 months.

Nice thought, but really not practical.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: What will happen to Dubai's camel racecourse? Aug 08, 2011
^Thanks for your opinions Knight. :mrgreen:

If nothing else, I think the city of Dubai should transform the camel racecourse into an amphitheater for outdoor music festivals.

That would be awesome. It could be Dubai's version of Red Rocks. 8)
Jericho79
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: What will happen to Dubai's camel racecourse? Aug 08, 2011
Jericho79 wrote:^Thanks for your opinions Knight. :mrgreen:

If nothing else, I think the city of Dubai should transform the camel racecourse into an amphitheater for outdoor music festivals.

That would be awesome. It could be Dubai's version of Red Rocks. 8)

Alreqady done a the horse race track.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Re: What will happen to Dubai's camel racecourse? Aug 09, 2011
^Are you referring to the Meydan?
Jericho79
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: What Will Happen To Dubai's Camel Racecourse? Aug 09, 2011
Yes, Meydan, has already been the venue for several big ticket acts. All of which have been flops, not because of the venue, but down to the event management failings.
The camel racetrack is just a dust bowl (actually its flat and ain't even a bowl) and does not lend itself to an ampitheatre in the slightest.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: What will happen to Dubai's camel racecourse? Aug 13, 2011
So the camel racetrack has been reduced to nothing but a flat, vast, open, empty field of dust?

Yarkon Park in Tel Aviv is a wide, open field, and it has always been a successful concert venue. So I was thinking that the camel racecourse could be transformed into one. Rather than letting it sit there.

-- Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:29 pm --

Beirut also hosts big concerts at the BIEL.

Here's a pic of Shakira's concert, which was held on a vast field of parched soil.

-- Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:30 pm --

http://www.beirutnightlife.com/news/sha ... rrow-live/

-- Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:30 pm --

Just one last question:

Does Dubai's camel racecourse have barriers and fencing like the horse racetracks in America?

I have no clue what camel racetracks actually look like. I've never seen one before. So I was hoping if someone here could tell me.
Jericho79
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat