Welcome To The 21st Century!

Topic locked
Welcome to the 21st Century! May 16, 2012
As a normally self confessed Luddite, I have just become the proud owner of a shiny Star Trek Next Generation Apple iPad 3...

I have shuffled around the sitting room in my tartan slippers idly swiping my fingers across the screen and mumbling such platitudes as "Data, can you check the dilithium crystal degeneration in core 2" or tapping the apps and saying "Make it so.." yet I still do not feel fully fulfilled.

Its a very nice piece of kit but I have yet to find out what it actually does.
I can read my emails (yawn, the Blackberry spends 24 hours a day going 'bling bling bling')
It has my entire iTunes library, but then so does the ever so tiny iPod that clips to my shirt front and gives me ACDC or Juliana Down wherever I go.
I could use it as a phone, but then I would look like the Twenty Tweens version of the 1980s dude with a beat box on his shoulder.
It has 'games' but the games I remember require one to put on shorts and run around a field pointlessly chasing a leather bladder filled with air. The only part of me that would benefit would be my finger. I might have the fittest finger in Dubai!
I could use the camera, but I prefer to look through a lens rather than holding something up in front of me like a shield.
The scariest thing is being able to talk in real time video to someone using Facetime...even when I am in the toilet!

So what the hell is the purpose of this sleek little tablet thingy?

A confused and technologically sceptical old Knight.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight

Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Welcome To The 21st Century! May 16, 2012
Its a se.xy gadget for sure, but the ipod and macbook seem more practical :D
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Welcome To The 21st Century! May 16, 2012
Not sure how you can refer to a gadget as s.exy. For me, a person is s.exy.

And also not sure why anyone would spend hard earned money on something that they don't need. A waste of good money, for sure.
joehart
BANNED

Re: Welcome To The 21st Century! May 17, 2012
I'm not sure why people post under multiple aliases on a forum, seems a waste of time ;)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

I use my Android tablet for ordering food and reading the papers, but I could do without.
mikehunt
BANNED

Re: Welcome to the 21st Century! May 17, 2012
Dubai Knight wrote:As a normally self confessed Luddite, I have just become the proud owner of a shiny Star Trek Next Generation Apple iPad 3...

I have shuffled around the sitting room in my tartan slippers idly swiping my fingers across the screen and mumbling such platitudes as "Data, can you check the dilithium crystal degeneration in core 2" or tapping the apps and saying "Make it so.." yet I still do not feel fully fulfilled.

Its a very nice piece of kit but I have yet to find out what it actually does.
I can read my emails (yawn, the Blackberry spends 24 hours a day going 'bling bling bling')
It has my entire iTunes library, but then so does the ever so tiny iPod that clips to my shirt front and gives me ACDC or Juliana Down wherever I go.
I could use it as a phone, but then I would look like the Twenty Tweens version of the 1980s dude with a beat box on his shoulder.
It has 'games' but the games I remember require one to put on shorts and run around a field pointlessly chasing a leather bladder filled with air. The only part of me that would benefit would be my finger. I might have the fittest finger in Dubai!
I could use the camera, but I prefer to look through a lens rather than holding something up in front of me like a shield.
The scariest thing is being able to talk in real time video to someone using Facetime...even when I am in the toilet!

So what the hell is the purpose of this sleek little tablet thingy?

A confused and technologically sceptical old Knight.

:roll: :roll: :roll: H

Knight

No purpose...you don't need it post it to me...*send address via pm*

P.s. I love my Ipad..and can use an update...
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Hey DK - welcome back!

When I can pry the Ipad off my children, the app I find most useful is Flipboard. Try it, you'll like it.

I also have installed Logmein and SugarSync on it. The former is pretty cool for controlling the computer upstairs, or the macbook pro, from the garden! SugarSync gives me access to all the files I want to share, and a great way to easily get documents etc on to the Ipad. I find it good to read pdfs on, rather than the laptop/desktop. (Logmein controls a windows pc better than the version on the laptop.) Evernote is also on the Ipad.

I've got photostream on - so a photo taken on the Iphone or added to the mac, will automatically be available on the Ipad, iphone etc - (gets automatically uploaded to web and pushed out to all devices).

For fun stuff - apart from Angry Birds - download the free e-book 'Yellow Submarine' from Itunes. It's the full book, with graphics and embedded videos. I think it may be meant for kids - but I love it ;)

As for the Star Trek refs - I empathise. I have the Iphone 4s and that has voice recognition that works pretty well. It won't be long before I can say 'Computer, delete all aliases by the annoying Troll on DF' , but for now it will probably reply 'sorry Shafique, the hydra is too powerful' :D

(Oh, and I got daughter No1 an Ipod Touch - that has face time and most of the functionality of an Ipad, and feels very 'Space 1999' when using Facetime! ;) )

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Welcome To The 21st Century! Jun 04, 2012
Dubai knight you got ipad3, why dont u shut up and just watch a movie?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Snipeyyyyyy!!!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

sniper420 ,

Wow, long time
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf