Want To Make Friends Who Do Trade Business In Dubai

Topic locked
Mar 17, 2009
Whitejade ,
This is fascinating. I would like to understand more about your alphabet and grammar.
I have taken an example here from the first few lines of www.visit-dubai.co.uk in its Chinese form.

Visit-Dubai.co.uk

畅游迪拜

迪拜是[阿拉伯联合酋长国] [U.A.E] 众多酋长国之一. 其他酋长国还有阿布扎比,沙扎, 阿治曼,欧姆古温 、拉斯-阿尔卡麦和富查伊拉等酋长国。 他们又被称作特鲁西尔酋长国。

迪拜依绕着迪拜湾 繁衍成长。 迪拜湾是一个天然的海水入口,它从阿拉伯海湾穿过迪拜中心, 把迪拜一分为二: 德拉杜拜 在海湾北边而新兴的巴杜拜在南侧。

阿拉伯联合酋长国 位于阿拉伯半岛 ,与卡塔尔 ,阿曼接壤,当然了,还有最大的邻国,沙特阿拉伯。

阿布扎比酋长国[Abu Zaby], 迪拜 [Dubayy], 沙扎, 阿治曼,欧姆古温[Umm al Qaywayn]和拉斯-阿尔卡麦[Ra's al Khaymah] 沿半岛的北海岸延伸直至 阿拉伯湾[波斯湾]。而富查伊拉[Al Fujayrah]位于阿曼海湾的东海岸,延绵进入阿拉伯海,成为印度洋的一部分。

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

长期的磨砺使迪拜湾成为一条古老的海路,远达印度和非洲东海岸,她是整个城市的心脏和灵魂。

迪拜湾可作为运河。因为受这条海湾的庇护,所以早期迪拜人的定居点建立于此。

最初,迪拜湾的水深只能通行较小的船支。因此货物在出口时会在海湾入口处转移到阿拉伯传统的独桅帆木船上。

[1]Does the above Chinese script make perfectly good sense to you?
[2] What sort of Chinese writing is that?
[3] Look at the first Chinese symbols. They are meant to represent "Visit-dubai.co.uk". But do they mean that LITERALLY?
[4] What symbol or Chinese letters represent DUBAI in that phrase and WHY?
NEWSTAR........Does it also make sense to you ? Do you understand the same written Chinese as White Jade??

RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 17, 2009
RedKite wrote:Whitejade ,
This is fascinating. I would like to understand more about your alphabet and grammar.
I have taken an example here from the first few lines of www.visit-dubai.co.uk in its Chinese form.

Visit-Dubai.co.uk

畅游迪拜

迪拜是[阿拉伯联合酋长国] [U.A.E] 众多酋长国之一. 其他酋长国还有阿布扎比,沙扎, 阿治曼,欧姆古温 、拉斯-阿尔卡麦和富查伊拉等酋长国。 他们又被称作特鲁西尔酋长国。

阿布扎比酋长国[Abu Zaby], 迪拜 [Dubayy], 沙扎, 阿治曼,欧姆古温[Umm al Qaywayn]和拉斯-阿尔卡麦[Ra's al Khaymah] 沿半岛的北海岸延伸直至 阿拉伯湾[波斯湾]。而富查伊拉[Al Fujayrah]位于阿曼海湾的东海岸,延绵进入阿拉伯海,成为印度洋的一部分。

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[3] Look at the first Chinese symbols. They are meant to represent "Visit-dubai.co.uk". But do they mean that LITERALLY?
NEWSTAR........Does it also make sense to you ? Do you understand the same written Chinese as White Jade??

Certainly doesn't make a lot of sense to me, lol
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 17, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
Certainly doesn't make a lot of sense to me, lol

At least you didn't say 'it's all Greek to me...' :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 17, 2009
SpeedHump,
As soon as you have a Chinese GF, why did you ask all those questions?
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 17, 2009
A good question :D Because we don't read Chinese newspapers together. I will ask, that will be the 'research' I mentioned above, but I am too busy with work this week :)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 17, 2009
He-he. No doubts. A lot of Japanese can't read fiction after secondary school (they also use similar characters as in China).

I wish I didn't have a Chinese GF, but IMO it's weird to have a GF due to language only...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 17, 2009
Red Chief wrote:He-he. No doubts. A lot of Japanese can't read fiction after secondary school (they also use similar characters as in China).

I wish I didn't have a Chinese GF, but IMO it's weird to have a GF due to language only...

Thats one hell of a theory
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 17, 2009
S. Onion,
What is your experience show? Share plz.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 17, 2009
Red Chief wrote:S. Onion,
What is your experience show? Share plz.

I don't quite understand your question, please elaborate.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 17, 2009
Sorry, Sage.

First time I translated "one hell of a" incorrectly...

It's really the only way outside China...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 17, 2009
Red Chief wrote:He-he. No doubts. A lot of Japanese can't read fiction after secondary school (they also use similar characters as in China).

Not for language! I am too old to learn that new trick :)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 17, 2009
Red Chief wrote:Sorry, Sage.

First time I translated "one hell of a" incorrectly...

It's really the only way outside China...

We "don't quite understand, please elaborate"

:?:
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 17, 2009
Speedhump wrote:I want to know for what reason traditional characters would be used for headlines and not for the body of the article, as I have read does occur. I'll try to show you examples also.

Might be simply because the traditional Chinese characters read more formal and more complicated.

Complicated things are always more fasinating than simple things...
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 17, 2009
RedKite wrote:Whitejade ,

Visit-Dubai.co.uk

畅游迪拜

(Hi) Redkite,

Glad you are interested in Chinese language, I will post my knowledge of the language here bit by bit.

That is a nice website of yours. :)

And the answers to your questions are:

1. Yes, it does make good sense to me. Whoever did the translation obviously is good enough.

2. They are written in the simplified Chinese.

3.If you are referring to the four characters 畅游迪拜, they literally mean 'have a wonderful time during your wonderful visit in Dubai', a bit more than just 'visit Dubai'. But these characters do not indicate a website.

4. "迪拜“represent'Dubai'; And the reason for that would be same as why 'merci' represents 'thank you'

:D
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 17, 2009
White Jade,
This is really interesting. How do those symbols or Chinese letters represent the word "Dubai"? How does it work? I don't get the CONCEPT of your alphabet . It looks EXTREMELY complicated.
Does one of your letters represent a "D" for example? I can't fathom how it works.
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 18, 2009
RedKite wrote:White Jade,
This is really interesting. How do those symbols or Chinese letters represent the word "Dubai"? How does it work? I don't get the CONCEPT of your alphabet . It looks EXTREMELY complicated.
Does one of your letters represent a "D" for example? I can't fathom how it works.

I know this one! Chinese characters represent sounds. 迪 is the sound 'di' (which in pinyin is pronounced 'der') and 拜 is the sound 'bai' :)

It's not actually a different word meaning the same thing (like merci and thank you are), it's just a purely mechanical way of reproducing the sounds in Chinese.

Now I wait for a gold star from teacher....

:glasses7:
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 19, 2009
Jade......Where are you? Humpy's waiting for his gold star !!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 19, 2009
Red Chief wrote about "one hell of a ".

That is an IDIOM . It cannot be translated literally into most languages.

However, "one hell of a thing" is exactly that in Welsh......"peth a'r diawl" is a common expression in Welsh.
" Diawl " is devil. We have anothersimilar word "diafol". The F is pronounced V in Welsh. That is close to DEVIL.

Welsh in its older form was BRITISH and was spoken all over Britain.
PERTH is the Welsh for HEDGE or THICKET; GLASGOW is from the Welsh for GREEN HOLLOW [GlasGau] ; MORECAMBE [ mor cam] is Welsh for CURVED SEA; DOVER [Dyfr] is Welsh for WATER; AVON[Afon] is RIVER; MALVERN[ Moel fryn] is Welsh for BARE HILL.

Many of the "English" place-names which mean NOTHING in English, are from the Welsh. PENGE was PEN CED a 1000 years ago. CED is the Old Welsh for present COED , meaning WOOD. So PEN CED was "The end of the wood" or maybe "The wooded hill-top". PEN is end or TOP.

Hence PENNINES!! I digress!!........or DAI GRESS!!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 19, 2009
RedKite wrote:Red Chief wrote about "one hell of a ".

That is an IDIOM . It cannot be translated literally into most languages.

However, "one hell of a thing" is exactly that in Welsh......"peth a'r diawl" is a common expression in Welsh.
" Diawl " is devil. We have anothersimilar word "diafol". The F is pronounced V in Welsh. That is close to DEVIL.

Welsh in its older form was BRITISH and was spoken all over Britain.
PERTH is the Welsh for HEDGE or THICKET; GLASGOW is from the Welsh for GREEN HOLLOW [GlasGau] ; MORECAMBE [ mor cam] is Welsh for CURVED SEA; DOVER [Dyfr] is Welsh for WATER; AVON[Afon] is RIVER; MALVERN[ Moel fryn] is Welsh for BARE HILL.

Many of the "English" place-names which mean NOTHING in English, are from the Welsh. PENGE was PEN CED a 1000 years ago. CED is the Old Welsh for present COED , meaning WOOD. So PEN CED was "The end of the wood" or maybe "The wooded hill-top". PEN is end or TOP.

Hence PENNINES!! I digress!!........or DAI GRESS!!!

Dai gress, ouch.....

But at least your treatise proves that in Wales, Brains doesn't only comes in a glass!
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 19, 2009
I could never thought that you all discussed about this kind of topic.
raycxw
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 19, 2009
And i am from China, in the city near HK, i can understand both simplified and traditional Chinese.
But in my opinion, the government shoundn't have changed the traditional chinese into simplified chinese.. i agree with whitejade
raycxw
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 19, 2009
As you can now often guess,
I'm likely to sometimes digress !!
I'm not losing the plot!!
But I know quite a lot!!
I'm Welsh......so just call me Dai Gress!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 19, 2009
Hi raycxw,
So what would YOU call the Chinese script on www.visit-dubai.co.uk ?
Is that more simplified than traditional?
What percentage of Chinese speakers would you say will understand the Chinese script on that web-site?
Are there mistakes in it, or is it good?
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 19, 2009
In Wales we're not lacking in Brains !!
We drink that Brains Beer when it rains!
"SA " we don't lack ,
Called Brains Skull Attack!!
We need brains to p*ss Brains down the drains ????
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 19, 2009
In my place IE is telling me "network error"
When I try to get DF and post my lecture.
That is awful! Unbelievable !
I wonder whether it's possibe
To get back on track after sunset, for my reader!
:|
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 19, 2009
raycxw wrote:I could never thought that you all discussed about this kind of topic.

Hi, welcome.

RedKite is interested because his website has some Chinese language on it, and as he doesn't speak the language he obviously would like to make sure it makes sense and is intelligible to chinese speakers.

I am just curious in general, and wish I actually didn't have to work, so I could spend all day just finding out new things... :D

Anyway, your input would always be welcome.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 19, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
raycxw wrote:I could never thought that you all discussed about this kind of topic.

Hi, welcome.

RedKite is interested because his website has some Chinese language on it, and as he doesn't speak the language he obviously would like to make sure it makes sense and is intelligible to chinese speakers.

I am just curious in general, and wish I actually didn't have to work, so I could spend all day just finding out new things... :D

Anyway, your input would always be welcome.

Wanna trade your job for my spare time?
What do you do actually?
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 19, 2009
LOL...I'm sure you'll be getting into a higher gear when you decide where you want to spend your time, whether here or anywhere else!

I prefer not to talk about my work/personal life details here, but it is legal, and I enjoy it, hope you don't mind :)

I'm just here for the chat and maybe once in a blue moon for info!

Off to see Cirque Du Soleil perform Alegria now..saw it once before in London, fantastic....whooooo :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 19, 2009
Ok, that fine.

Lets feel the pinky; It sayz you're a Cameljockey from Paki (legalized)? :lol:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 19, 2009
Speedhump wrote:I know this one! Chinese characters represent sounds. 迪 is the sound 'di' (which in pinyin is pronounced 'der') and 拜 is the sound 'bai' :)

It's not actually a different word meaning the same thing (like merci and thank you are), it's just a purely mechanical way of reproducing the sounds in Chinese.

Now I wait for a gold star from teacher....

:glasses7:

Good job~~boy~~ :icescream:

I have different opinions though. :flower:
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat