Scammers Scammers Everywhere!

Topic locked
Scammers Scammers Everywhere! Jun 19, 2013
I got this in my email. Needless to say, I deleted it right away. She doesn't sound British to me. Do you think I should have helped her and given all my details, like home address and passport details?

My dear,

My name is Corporal Sandra Jordan, a British Army Nurse now in Afghanistan. I need your co-operation in a very sensitive and delicate transaction which I have tried to keep to myself considering my profession. I hold in trust a treasure which I need to move into the custody of a trusted friend, who would invest the funds for the benefit of us. There is absolutely going to be a great doubt and distrust in your heart in respect to this mail coupled with the fact that so many miscreants and mischief-makers who have taken possession of the internet to facilitate their nefarious deeds, thereby making it extremely difficult to believe that any quest for assistance through the internet is real or genuine making it difficult for persons who need help to get attention, recognition and assistance.

In the course of my military operation here in Afghanistan, I was confided in by one of my patient who was about to die after a bomb explosion at his residence Killing his whole family. He told me about a box he buried underground which contains $2.4MUSD. l have succeeded in moving the fund out of Afghanistan as a family treasure for safe keep through a diplomatic company. I need a good partner who I can trust to assist me in receiving the money as a consignment for investment.

Considering the sensitive nature of my job, I want to trust you and give the security company the permission to move the luggage to you as my partner. If you honestly value our friendship and the good live both of us will have when this fund gets to you, I need your permission to proceed so that the security company can conclude the moving of the funds as a consignment to you in the earliest possible time as I have deposited it for a long time now. If you are interested, furnish me with all details about you including your passport copy.

One passionate appeal I will make to you is not to discuss this matter with anybody, should you have reasons to reject this offer, please and please destroy this message as any leakage of this information will be too bad for me here in Afghanistan. I do not know how long we will remain here but am planning to quit the army immediately after you have secured the fund so that I can enjoy my life like every other normal people. But the whole process will be simple and we must keep a low profile at all times.

As you know the situation here is very tensed. We are so much restricted here and please kindly contact me by email for Security purpose.

Also I want you to indicate clearly how many percent you will take from the entire fund as your commission for work well done. I will like to invest in real estate but i don't know if you have another options as I am a novice in terms of investment.

Hoping to hear from you

Corporal Sandra Jordan
Afghanistan

:roll:

Jonkers
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Scammers Scammers Everywhere! Jun 20, 2013
Why they ask for passport details? They want to use it for some purpose but what exactly?
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nucleus ,

"Identity theft" most likely, Nucleus.
If someone is mad enough to reply with email, they will have your name and some other particulars; passport details provides even more details about you.

I recently got a very authentic looking communication from American Express pretending to be promoting something and a chance to win $10,000/! Luckily Amex were on to it already, and immediately got in touch with me. My card was compromised, and I had to get a new one. They had tried to shop online with it. The usual trick is to do small shopping which you are not likely to notice, before they go for the big stuff!

The lesson learnt is: dont reply to anything/anyone that you dont know. Stay alert, and delete such emails, no matter how tempting they look!
Jonkers
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jonkers ,Agree !

Lots of data is there in identity theft.

:(
Jacksally
Dubai Forum Visitor

Scams seem on the rise.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Scammers Scammers Everywhere! Jun 21, 2013
She doesn't sound very English to me. Well spotted Jonkers!
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Scammers Scammers Everywhere! Jun 22, 2013
This has scam written all over it. Besides "Corporal Sandra Jordan" showing up in many scam sites, if you have a good grasp of internet security, you can almost notice right away when it is a scam. First off you are bombarded with a whole heap of detailed English. This is to convince you to think that the email is from a legitimate person who knows what they're doing. Then you have have the reather unfitting emotional language. I should also mention that while this scammer is good in written English, he/she is still largely detached from his/her own fake persona and it is very inaccurate if you analyze it in-depth. For the moment, well call this fella who tried to scam you "Sandy". For me, the first two words that Sandy wrote kinda gave it away. "My dear..." LOL deducing from the nature of this letter, you have to be a real plonker to start it off with "My dear". Near the end, Sandy discusses something about quitting the army to live like a normal person. Is Sandy suggesting that soldiers who risk their lives in foreign territory aren't normal? Hmm, I'm pretty sure they would have a bit more self worth....
Couple up all the above, and you have a very poorly written scam.
I recently received an email from a bloke who wants me to pay him 10000 bucks to pay off some stuff in Greece LOL.
prowheels
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Scammers Scammers Everywhere! Jun 22, 2013
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Scammers Scammers Everywhere! Jun 23, 2013
These scammers are easy to detect. Another, more low level of scammers are many "charities". The bosses drive big cars and only 10-20% of the money goes to those who really need it. There methods of collecting money are harassing people. Almost everyday I get harassed at train stations. It might be even worse in the UK. Next month I have a run in the UK. I love the UK and love spending time there. But I will not run there anymore. Ever since I registered, I get spammed by these scammer "charities". These scammers are everywhere.
FlyingDutchman
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat