Remember 88

Topic locked
Remember 88 Jun 18, 2013
Remember what happened in 1988? No, I am not thinking about Lockerbie, nor the shooting by the US of an Iranian airliner. Holland became European champion football almost 25 years ago, but more important on 21st of June 1988 Holland beat Germany. So what you might think. And isnot football just 22 men running after a ball? I will come to that later, but first some background.
In 1945 Germany surrended in the Netherlands to the Allied forces. One of the things the nazi's did was to confiscate our bikes for transport. This was not cool. Almost 20 years later, in 1974 Holland met Germany in the final of the World Championship in Germany. This was meant to be our revenge for the stealing of the bikes. But we lost :( . The loosing of that final left very deep scars.
In 1988, after a miraclous win over Ireland, Holland was to play Germany in the semi-finals in Germany! This time we were about to set everything in the past straight. The days before the game were totally crazy. A whole nation going absolutely nuts over a game. Everybody was in, the whole nation, including politicians, the players themselves. teachers and even the police. We were going to get the Germans this time. Seriously, no German car was safe in Holland those few days. People went over the border and got some bikes back. Not OK, but everybody chuckled. This was the first and only time Holland was one.
Then 21st of June came, the day of the match. No goals at half time. A few minutes into the second half, Germany got a penalty, Lothar Mattaus of all people scored, the most hated man because of his unfair style. People cried. Less then 20 minutes to go, Holland got a penalty, 1-1. Everybody was getting ready for extra time, except Marco van Basten, San Marco, scored in the 89th minute. This is when the total craziness started. Everybody was everybody's friend, that day no crime was reported. Party was until dawn. Alcohol in abundance, group hugs with strangers and spontaneous kissing everywhere, I cannot describe it, but it was literally ALL GOOD. For those who were there, if you would ask them define one moment when everything was ALL GOOD as a country, they will say 21th June 1988. It was like the whole nation was intoxicated. And that because of a football game. It was only when I saw the news the next day, I realized that what we experienced, happened in the whole country. After that, nothing came close, not even when Holland beat the Soviet Union in the final, or when Holland reached the the final of the World Cup a few years ago.
I know it sounds strange, but for many, it was a life defining moment, because that was the moment that ALL was GOOD.
Now, almost 25 years later, stories come out again of that truely unbelievable day. People who were there know that it is possible to have that amazing feeling together as a country, which gives hope. When things turn bad, people can be cheered up by saying "remember 1988!"

Did anything like this happened in the Emirates? As countrymen share common experiences, what is that special moment that you shared (and still share) with your countrymen?

FlyingDutchman
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Remember 88 Jun 20, 2013
Sorry, but I find soccer about as exciting as cricket. Actually... I enjoy cricket... so I can understand the excitment of winning a football world cup. But for matches against arch rivals I prefer a more physical sport which require as much determination as skill. England winning the 2003 RWC is the most recent example I can think of. USA v Russia Ice Hockey comes to mind also.
BTW, wasn't it only the jews who weren't allowed bikes?
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Remember 88 Jun 21, 2013
The equivalent day in England would have to be 30 July 1966 when England beat those cheating Germans to win the World Cup.

Everybody was a football fan on that day and I still remember what I was doing although its nearly 50 years ago. We were travelling home from holiday. Unfortunately my mother had booked our annual holiday and that Saturday we were travelling home from Cornwall to Wiltshire, which is where we were living at that time. Our car did not have a radio and every few miles my dad pulled over and put the transistor radio on top of the car to try to get a signal. There was no motorway and we drove through deserted ghost towns. People from those towns were considerate and had blackboards outside their homes with the latest score. 0-1, then 1-1, 2-1 then 2-2 at full time. My mother allowed us to stop for the whole of the extra time.
I can still remember those words coming over our crackling radio. They think its all over...it is now!

I don't know what my father was thinking about. There's no way we should have been on the road during the most important 120 minutes of our lives.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Remember 88 Jun 23, 2013
benwj wrote:BTW, wasn't it only the jews who weren't allowed bikes?

They took everybody's bikes

--- Jun 23, 2013 ---

BMreformed wrote:The equivalent day in England would have to be 30 July 1966 when England beat those cheating Germans to win the World Cup.

Also the Germans. :-)

P.S. Things changed after the World Cup 2006 in Germany. The Germans welcomed the Orange invasion and were very hospitable and nice. Ever since then things are more friendly.
FlyingDutchman
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Remember 88 Jun 24, 2013
I played almost every game when I was at school. Cricket, football, basketball,boxing and even rugby! But I could never get excited about watching a game. Nothing came close to the excitement of being actually in the game!!

Until a phenomenon called Mohammed Ali Clay came to the world. He was so clever and so fast in the boxing ring, he was a delight to watch. We all know about the rise and fall, and rise again of Mohammed Ali. For a while, he represented the Muslims and the Islamic world. Boy, we were on a roll! People credit the Islamic resurgence to Khomeini, but I feel it really started from Mohammed Ali :P .

I even started praying to Allah(which I have never done with any great conviction or enthusiasm).

Well, one of the saddest days of my life was when Smokin Joe Frazier knocked Mohd Ali down. It felt as if it was I that had got beat up on that day. By body ached, and I moped for days. The slight was never ever really forgotten!

But the greatest day for me was the return match in 1975! The so called Thrilla in Manila! I was in Iran at the time, staying at a very beautiful Hotel, and watched it live on their TV. It was very early morning, about 5 am I think, and quite a large crowd of us watched it in pin drop silence.
Mohammed Ali won! All was well with the world again! Yay!!! :P
Islam was back in the driving seat!! (Where is Rayznack btw :wink: )
Jonkers
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat