Protect The Rights Of Maids Already!!!!

Topic locked
Protect the rights of maids already!!!! Jan 18, 2011
Look at this case - http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php?id ... up%20fight

The Filipina maid is getting a lifetime ban for absconding, meanwhile the employer who abused her gets off free because the Filipina cannot afford to be stuck in Dubai for the lengthy process of fighting to get justice for the assault on her.

They should have a process for dealing with this, and the maid should have a chance to transfer to a better employer rather than having to go back and pay more money to an agency to find work in another country.

If employers think they have every right to beat an employee in their house then they should clean their own house and look after their own kids. Maybe some jail time would smarten this employer up! There should be a lifetime ban on hiring a maid for any employer convicted of assault.

Come on UAE - make some common sense rules and policies for dealing with unfair human rights abuses. This is the year 2011!

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Protect The Rights Of Maids Already!!!! Jan 18, 2011
Its really terrible whats going on in the middle east with the abuse of maids, I am sure kanelli you must be aware of the case about the torture the maid suffered in KSA, I have nothing more than curses to hurl at them, Human Rights my a$$ !
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

If you visit a popular Woman's forum in the UAE, you will find the "Madams" suggesting everything short of beating a maid is acceptable.

"The maid spoiled my carpet"
A hundred replies come saying "Deport her and make sure she gets a life ban so she cant spoil anyone else's carpet"...

Employers actually are stunned that their maids "shock, horror" , may actually want to improve their standing and work better jobs/look for jobs with better pay...
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

BlackburnRovers wrote:If you visit a popular Woman's forum in the UAE, you will find the "Madams" suggesting everything short of beating a maid is acceptable.

"The maid spoiled my carpet"
A hundred replies come saying "Deport her and make sure she gets a life ban so she cant spoil anyone else's carpet"...

Employers actually are stunned that their maids "shock, horror" , may actually want to improve their standing and work better jobs/look for jobs with better pay...

HA HA HA. I know which one you are referring to.

Am I a good employer?
I need a nanny urgent!!!
I have the best maid/nanny!!!
Nanny v. Maid
I treat my maid so good and she went and [fill in the blank]
Posts about how good I treat my maid.
My maid sleeps under the sink
I have to teach my maid to [fill in the blank]
My friend's husband is having an affair with the maid. What should I do???
My maid has too much time on her hands. (Suggestion: have her wash the grout between the tiles with a toothbrush and bleach?!?!)
and yes all the shouts of: deport and ban her immediately!!!

My opinion: on the other hand, some maids can be very, very cheeky.

I'm sure many of those maids are aware of the forum you referred to. I wonder how many maids add a few additional "spices" to Madams food and drink????

As to the maid in the article, she is one of many who are abused mentally and physically. Even if they aren't physically or mentally abused, not having a day off and "working" 24/7 is also abuse, keep house, cook, watch the children, put up with disrespect, be made to feel they are invisible, wash and iron laundry, walk the dog, clean the cat box, no computer time, no friends, push the trolley, tote the bags, and who knows what else - all for a measley AED 1800 a month - if that!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Heres the thing:

many maids can be very cheeky, cunning, 2 faced etc

But that doesnt give their employer the right to ban them for life or to think they should have the right to bar them from a country because they dont like them...

J
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

When people think someone is less than them it gives them all kinds of justification to treat them badly - this has always been the case through history. Some people really need to clean their own houses and look after their own kids if they think a helper is less of a person than they are and they can't stop themselves treating them like crap. The situation for helpers in Singapore is pretty bad as well, with the exception that the government provides more protection than the UAE government.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Maid = Lazy Madam.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

BlackburnRovers wrote:Heres the thing:

many maids can be very cheeky, cunning, 2 faced etc

But that doesnt give their employer the right to ban them for life or to think they should have the right to bar them from a country because they dont like them...

J

BR, many years ago I had a person come in to clean for me. I went on vacation and found some very expensive jewelry had gone missing (a necklace and a ring, both gifts from hubby). After stealing the jewelry she just didn't show up after that. I felt something was wrong and sure enough found that jewelry had been taken. If I found her I would have cut her hands off and then had her deported/banned and anything else that could have been done!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:...If I found her I would have cut her hands off and then...

As you can see this sort of a sentence for theft is not a far fetched idea, which I might add is dictated by "Certain" faiths Image
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Protect the rights of maids already!!!! Jan 18, 2011
Well the thing is, many of these women that work as maids are educated, but they can't find work in their chosen professions in their own countries, so they are forced to come here and work for peanuts. If you leave stuff out as a temptation, then it's your own fault I'm afraid.

The majority of these girls work for 1,500 Dhs a month, 6 or even 7 days a week. Husbands/boyfriends not allowed to visit and even on their days off they get carted around with the family instead of being allowed to go off and do their own thing. Is it any wonder, some of them couldn't give a toss about their emploiyers, when they are treated so badly.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

zubber wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:...If I found her I would have cut her hands off and then...

As you can see this sort of a sentence for theft is not a far fetched idea, which I might add is dictated by "Certain" faiths Image

Well zub, I'm sure as a Pakistani she learned that early on and was fully aware of "let the punishment fit the crime". :wink:

-- Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:04 pm --

Chocoholic wrote:Well the thing is, many of these women that work as maids are educated, but they can't find work in their chosen professions in their own countries, so they are forced to come here and work for peanuts. If you leave stuff out as a temptation, then it's your own fault I'm afraid.

The majority of these girls work for 1,500 Dhs a month, 6 or even 7 days a week. Husbands/boyfriends not allowed to visit and even on their days off they get carted around with the family instead of being allowed to go off and do their own thing. Is it any wonder, some of them couldn't give a toss about their emploiyers, when they are treated so badly.

I get the leaving things out is temptation, but I never thought she would dig as deep as she did to find the jewelry. As for education, that can be said about the Phillipino girls, unlike the Pakistani, Indian and Sri Lanken maids.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Protect The Rights Of Maids Already!!!! Jan 19, 2011
For those of us who haven't lived in Dubai as long as you experts, what do you do? How do you get a maid if you don't want a live-in/sponsored maid? Are there reputable agencies where you can hire hourly that treat their maids well? And what do you do to eliminate temptation, lock up every single thing of any value (jewelry, electronics, etc.) and always be home when she's there?

If you do hire hourly, how much does it cost?

Thanks!
candyrider
Dubai Expat Wannabe

benwj wrote:Maid = Lazy Madam.

Wife=Lazy Husband :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Bora Bora wrote:HA HA HA. I know which one you are referring to.

Am I a good employer?
I need a nanny urgent!!!
Nanny v. Maid
My maid has too much time on her hands. (Suggestion: have her wash the grout between the tiles with a toothbrush and bleach?!?!)

The latest one being the best I guess:

"Help, I think something is going on between my maid and my son!"
:D
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

candyrider wrote:For those of us who haven't lived in Dubai as long as you experts, what do you do? How do you get a maid if you don't want a live-in/sponsored maid? Are there reputable agencies where you can hire hourly that treat their maids well? And what do you do to eliminate temptation, lock up every single thing of any value (jewelry, electronics, etc.) and always be home when she's there?

If you do hire hourly, how much does it cost?

Thanks!

They do have agencies, but it is not to say that the maids are treated any better. Going price is about 35AED with a minimum of 4 hours, of which the maid, may see 5AED of that charge. There are many housemaids working for a family that do work on the side (very risky), or women who are sponsored by locals or their husband, who do housekeeping. There is a penalty for hiring such people: huge fine and the maid would be deported. You should be in the home when they are there. They need constant direction as well as a pair of eyes on them!!!!

Always good to have a small safe which can be bought in a supermarket. Besides stashing your jewelry you would also put some valuable papers in it - such as your passport!!!

-- Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:55 am --

BlackburnRovers wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:HA HA HA. I know which one you are referring to.

Am I a good employer?
I need a nanny urgent!!!
Nanny v. Maid

The latest one being the best I guess:

"Help, I think something is going on between my maid and my son!"
:D

LOL. Just read it. Seems that it could be a win-win for the maid!!! Either become a daughter-in-law or go home with 5 years salary. Seems the maid has an agenda!!!! OR if it goes sour the boy can claim she seduced him and cry rape!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

kanelli wrote:
benwj wrote:Maid = Lazy Madam.

Wife=Lazy Husband :lol:

Thats it? :lol: :lol:
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Protect The Rights Of Maids Already!!!! Jul 30, 2013
Hi there, I had a tough time looking for a maid in Dubai. Luckily i got one from Zobone Solutions FZE. You can find their contact details from their website maidagencydubai
maidydubaina
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Protect The Rights Of Maids Already!!!! Jul 31, 2013
Come On,,,,

abuse is existing, which is a fact. but we should be fairly. its few cases here. everywhere they will be good and bad people.

Let's ranking the situations here.

regards,
mhdkaabi
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat