Places You Haven't Been To In Dubai For A While?

Topic locked
Places you haven't been to in Dubai for a while? May 22, 2011
I do love playing tourist guide every now and then. Ventured to the museum the other weekend, for all of 3Dhs entrance it's pretty good.

Also forgot how much fun doing the abra crossing of the creek is (pfff inflation, cost has gone up from 50 fils to 1 dirham lol), then to the spice souq and wandering round the gold souq. I do love the old Deira side, it's great.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Places you haven't been to in Dubai for a while? May 22, 2011
Where is the spice souk?

Went toe Spice Island the other day...food was terrible. The new management probably fired the old employees
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Places you haven't been to in Dubai for a while? May 22, 2011
Where all the dhows are and you have the pedestrian underpass, the spice souq is just there - you can smell it! Wonderful :D Although I do laugh at some of the er more weird products they have on offer. But I love the hospitality of the traders, getting you to try stuff.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Places you haven't been to in Dubai for a while? May 23, 2011
Worth checking out the Bastikiya area on the creek side in Bur Dubai.

There are some wonderful little nooks and crannies there with quite artistic goings on. The art hotel is worth dropping in for a cup of tea and the Bastikiya cafe is great for lunch.

Not been for a while so looking forward to a new exploration.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

I love that little place where you can sit out over the water and have some food, just really nice :D
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:I love that little place where you can sit out over the water and have some food, just really nice :D

The Creek? Just the place for you I imagine. In it not over it though.
Bethsmum

Thanks BM, but I wakeboard in the Creek every single weekend! It's really not that bad at all! AT least the water is always flat. Just have to dodge the flip-flops, buts of wood and bottles really - no issues!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Thanks BM, but I wakeboard in the Creek every single weekend! It's really not that bad at all! AT least the water is always flat. Just have to dodge the flip-flops, buts of wood and bottles really - no issues!

I wasn't talking about you wakeboarding. It's a wonder people can distinguish you from the other scum floating about.
Bethsmum

Oh I think it's pretty obvious seeing as my impact vest is pretty brightly coloured, as is the rest of my gear - it's all about colour co-ordination you know!

@DK, it's nice to wander around the Bastikia, it's one of the places that just feels like Dubai.

Heritage village still isn't bad for a little visit either.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Oh I think it's pretty obvious seeing as my impact vest is pretty brightly coloured, as is the rest of my gear - it's all about colour co-ordination you know!

@DK, it's nice to wander around the Bastikia, it's one of the places that just feels like Dubai.

Heritage village still isn't bad for a little visit either.

Do you manage to keep that big gob shut long enough not to swallow anything?
Bethsmum

One place I got reminded of whilst visiting the museum, was the archeological site off Al Wasl road. Worth taking a look at.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Places You Haven't Been To In Dubai For A While? May 23, 2011
Dubai Zoo....
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Mahmoud04 wrote:Dubai Zoo....

Mahmoud, the animals at the zoo aren't properly cared for and the conditions are horrible. Not a place to have a good time!!! A new zoo was to have been built several years ago but has been long forgotten.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

I havent visited the zoo too; not since 16 years back !
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

BlackburnRovers wrote:I havent visited the zoo too; not since 16 years back !

Can only imagine the state it was in then!!! I'm sure things "improved" over time. :o
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Dubai Zoo is absolutely horrific ! Recently went to Al Ain Zoo maybe after 15 years or something in the same vien as chocs in the quest to vist some old places I haven't been to in a while, the new has been done to death and is totally boring now and because I know someone who works there and said they cleaned up their act and have some kind of collaboration with San Diego Zoo.

There is new staff there, very helpfull and all English speaking and can be see all over the place. The enclosures are better, its CLEAN ! and doesn't stink too much. A decent variety of animals kept in big-ish enclousures. On the other side its got a lush green play and picnic area, with small shops all over the place, with decent signs and map. Although most of the bigger animals are just trying to get respite from the heat and just lazing around, sleeping in the shade. Maybe an out door zoo in such climate really isn't a good idea after all ? But you can see all enclousres do have closed off areas with A/C.

Not perfect and still a lot to be desired but a haven compared to Dubai Zoo and surely worth a visit, family friendly even and they are still in the process of doing it up, so should get better I'm guessing.
desertdudeshj

Yes, Dubai zoo is horrific and something that has been promised to be sorted out for years. I actually feel sorry for the guy that runs it. Most of the animals have been dumped on him and he does the best he can with what little money he gets. They've now stopped taking in animals.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

DM was supposed to be developing Mushriff Park in Mirdif into a safari park where all the caged animals in Dubai Zoo would be moved to live in far better and more natural surroundings.

Unfortunately they were looking for a commercial sponsor to cover the massive cost of the secure perimeter and enclosures and the project was shelved.

I used to live just at the back of the zoo and waking up early was to be greeted by the roaring of lions. Kinda weird!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Places you haven't been to in Dubai for a while? May 24, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:I love that little place where you can sit out over the water and have some food, just really nice :D

This is yet another perfectly good thread that you have crapped on to take potshots at Chocs.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Places You Haven't Been To In Dubai For A While? May 24, 2011
BlackburnRovers wrote:I havent visited the zoo too; not since 16 years back !

They are still looking for you.
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

kanelli wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:

This is yet another perfectly good thread that you have crapped on to take potshots at Chocs.

I'm just repaying the favour Kanelli. You may like to comment on the Nazi dig on another topic. Oh no I forgot, Chocs is a big mate of yours isn't she?
Bethsmum

Went to Dubai zoo about 3 years ago, and yes its still pathetic. one of the caged lioness kept circling in its cage when i went it and still was doing it till i left the zoo. it seems to be really agitated, and now that its summer i cant imagine how hot it will be inside those concrete floor cages.

on topic, i haven't been to Bur Juman (new and old) for awhile since the place is so boring. i remembered 12 years ago when "Quasar" was still there (laser shooting arena). :mrgreen:
xero_
Dubai forums Addict

xero_ wrote:Went to Dubai zoo about 3 years ago, and yes its still pathetic. one of the caged lioness kept circling in its cage when i went it and still was doing it till i left the zoo. it seems to be really agitated, and now that its summer i cant imagine how hot it will be inside those concrete floor cages.

on topic, i haven't been to Bur Juman (new and old) for awhile since the place is so boring. i remembered 12 years ago when "Quasar" was still there (laser shooting arena). :mrgreen:

Now there's a place I haven't been to in yonks! It was always a bit sterile to be honest and then they built the 'designer' section, it became even more so. The games section was fun though :D
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Bethsmum wrote:I'm just repaying the favour Kanelli. You may like to comment on the Nazi dig on another topic. Oh no I forgot, Chocs is a big mate of yours isn't she?

You mean the one where I commented that Chocs among others was being mean? I guess you missed that.

Can you let us all know when you are done repaying favours? I'd fetch your dummy for you so you can relax in your pram, but I can't reach it from my high pedestal. :wink:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:I'm just repaying the favour Kanelli. You may like to comment on the Nazi dig on another topic. Oh no I forgot, Chocs is a big mate of yours isn't she?

You mean the one where I commented that Chocs among others was being mean? I guess you missed that.

Can you let us all know when you are done repaying favours? I'd fetch your dummy for you so you can relax in your pram, but I can't reach it from my high pedestal. :wink:

Ahh, you commented Chocs was being mean? Did you really? I think you said BM UAEKID and Chocs were being mean. Your friend stated (incorrectly) that I was a Nazi supporter and wanted to gas people. That's slightly more than 'mean' in my book.
Well I couldn't really expect you to acknowledge that she's an evil b1tch could I?

As for repaying favours, I'm only just getting warmed up. Dish it out and expect to get it back. I'm afraid I'll never be Mother Superior, I'll leave that role to you. One you have fallen into with ease.
Kanelli, doesn't drink, doesn't smoke and makes her own dresses.
Bethsmum

Hanging out in Heritage Village is quite a good choice too. But I don't recommend week ends you'll end up finding other place to hang because the parking is always full. Sheesha is also available and different varieties of food. Sitting and chatting with friends is fun while watching cargo boats/Dhow Cruise at night. :bounce:

I missed it!!!
SicnarFranciS
Dubai Forums Frequenter

SicnarFranciS wrote:Hanging out in Heritage Village is quite a good choice too. But I don't recommend week ends you'll end up finding other place to hang because the parking is always full. Sheesha is also available and different varieties of food. Sitting and chatting with friends is fun while watching cargo boats/Dhow Cruise at night. :bounce:

I missed it!!!

Maybe you should try to leave the labour camp more often. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Places You Haven't Been To In Dubai For A While? May 24, 2011
Does every thread has to be littered with trash from wind bag ? Go use Fight Club and straighten out your knickers there which have been really twsited into a real tight knot of late, maybe not getting any ?

Back OT

Its been ages since I went to Heritage village. I think the only time I've been there was the first time it opened up during the first DSF. Din't find it interesting enough to warrant a visit back.

Oh and there is also a museum in Hatta. Another thing is those displays in Ibn Battuta mall. Never really bothered about those but if you go and look them up they can be pretty informational and interesting and recently found out that big elephat in India court isn't actually somekind of model but actually a replica of a very sophisticated ancient water clock, which keeps time using water in the elephats belly. Who knew ? I always scurry across it as tons of people are always trying to pose for pictures in front of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_clock
desertdudeshj

Re: Places you haven't been to in Dubai for a while? May 25, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:
kanelli wrote:

Ahh, you commented Chocs was being mean? Did you really? I think you said BM UAEKID and Chocs were being mean. Your friend stated (incorrectly) that I was a Nazi supporter and wanted to gas people. That's slightly more than 'mean' in my book.
Well I couldn't really expect you to acknowledge that she's an evil b1tch could I?

As for repaying favours, I'm only just getting warmed up. Dish it out and expect to get it back. I'm afraid I'll never be Mother Superior, I'll leave that role to you. One you have fallen into with ease.
Kanelli, doesn't drink, doesn't smoke and makes her own dresses.

Bring it on windbag, I'll see you in Fight Club. Be prepared for yet another a$$ kicking by Mother Superior.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Places you haven't been to in Dubai for a while? May 25, 2011
Bring it on windbag, I'll see you in Fight Club. Be prepared for yet another a$$ kicking by Mother Superior

Another? :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat