New Trend??

Topic locked
New Trend?? Jul 13, 2011
Well Malaysia Airlines has banned kids from first class. Here's a restaurant owner who is banning kids under the age of 6 from his restaurant. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Hopefully there is a new trend taking place!!!!

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parentin ... e-2509487/

At McDain's Restaurant, in Monroeville, Pennsylvania, kids don't eat free. And starting next week, they don't get to eat at all. Mike Vuick, owner of the Pittsburgh area eatery has just announced a ban on children under 6 at his casual dining establishment.

After receiving noise complaints from customers about crying kids at neighboring tables, Vuick decided to institute the policy, which will go into effect July 16.

In an email to customers, Vuick explained: "We feel that McDain's is not a place for young children. Their volume can't be controlled and many, many times, they have disturbed other customers."

The owner of the "upscale, casual and quiet" restaurant explains to WTAE Local News, he's got nothing against kids in general, but their endless screams at public dinner tables are "the height of being impolite and selfish."

Last year, North Carolina's Olde Salty restaurant made a similar decision. Owner Brenda Armes posted a sign that read "Screaming children will not be tolerated", making it clear to parents when their kids scream, they'll be asked to take it outside. Armes said the move has boosted business, and Vuick is confident his ban will benefit McDain's as well.

But not everyone is on board. Some Monroeville locals are offended that they're being singled out for having young kids, and pointing fingers at noisy adults.

"If they're so concerned about noise, what do they plan to do about the loud people at the bar?" asks one local resident.

It's not illegal to ban kids from eating establishments, but some parents consider the move discriminatory, and potentially a violation of rights for certain special needs kids. What do you think: are kid-free restaurants a great idea or flat-out wrong?

And here's more actions taken:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parentin ... ed-2388887

In the latest burst of anti-kids-in-public news, a North Carolina restaurant is making headlines with signage that does not quibble. “Screaming Children Will NOT Be Tolerated!” read signs at the the Olde Salty restaurant in Carolina Beach, N.C. And while some parents have expressed concern that they are singling out disabled kids, most patrons have responded well.

Brenda Armes, the restaurant's owner, told the local NBC affiliate, WECT, the clearly stated message has been good for business. "It has brought in more customers than it has ever kept away," she said.

It's one more line in the sand(box) by adults who believe tolerance of cranky, crying, noisy (or quiet-breastfeeding) kids has a definite limit when they are around on a plane, in a restaurant, in a bar.

In Brooklyn, N.Y., the bar Union Hall took a lot of heat from parents/customers when it attempted to ban strollers. But the Double Windsor bar near Park Slope still followed up with a decision to ban babies after 5 p.m. As New York Magazine's Daily Intel reported, they did so with humor in signs that read, in part, that though the establishment is quite sure their customers' babies were "really mature for their age," they are just not old enough to legally drink alcohol. One "BAN KIDS FROM RESTAURANTS!" Facebook group has sprung up with 162 members. Even attendees of the Coconut Grove Arts Festival, it seems, had negative opinions about all of the strollers with kids in them at the Miami event.

Up in the skies, a recent poll by Skyscanner, a fare-comparison website, found that almost 60 percent of travelers would love it if airlines demarcated a families-with-children section on airplanes, meaning they would love to sit in child-free zones. And, nearly 20 percent of travelers said they would rather fly on completely child-free flights, period.

All of which begs the questions: Are people becoming more intolerant of kids, noisy or not, in public places? Or are more parents who bring their kids with them everywhere tuned out to how their sometimes noisy offspring may be affecting those around them?

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: New Trend?? Jul 13, 2011
they should do that here, but first i would like to see them ban children from entering shisha places, I've seen children under a year old with their parents in shishas, they have no concern to that child's health. and children running around will eventually get hurt
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

I'm always amazed to see young kids running around late in Dubai. How do they get up for school in the morning?

I always made it a rule that my kids be in bed by 6.30pm when they were little and later as they grew up. Parents should allow themselves grown up time.

My mother always said 'kids should be seen and not heard'.

I never knew what she meant until I had kids of my own.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

I attended a movie 2 days ago "Hanna", and many scenes aren't suitable for kids with all the blood and stuff.
I was surprised to see a family pushing a troller with their supposedly 1-2 years old kid :shock: .. Moreover, during the last 3rd of the movie, the kid kept on playing around and it interrupted everyone!
symmetric
BANNED

Well I don't think parents should take offense to these bans or screamed "discrimination". Discriminating how??? Taking away their right to annoy people??? Non-smokers discriminated against smokers and we all know the laws and regulations that are in place for smokers. Smokers polluted the air around non-smokers, and the noise and unruliness of children pollutes my air. Why should they be allowed to contribute to noise pollution?

I agree with children being subjected to shisha - very very wrong. Many shisha smokers are not cigarette smokers and probably complain when they are subjected to ciggie smoke.

I like this new trend. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

First off I'm so glad you said 'children' BB - for the rest of you, Goats have 'kids'! People have 'children'!

It looks like it could be the start of a sweeping trend. There are times and places for 'children' and others when it's totally inappropriate. The cinema is one for me, why on earth would you take a young child into a gory, nasty movie - do parents not realise the affect that has on children? And the nightmares? Pure selfishness, if you can't get a babysitter, then don't go!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:First off I'm so glad you said 'children' BB - for the rest of you, Goats have 'kids'! People have 'children'!

FYIP

Kid.

1. informal a child or young person, verb (kids, kidding, kidded)
2. [with object] informal deceive in a playful way; tease.
3. Noun, a small wooden tub, especially a sailor's mess tub for grog or rations.
4. a young goat.
5. [mass noun] Soft nappy leather made from a young goat's skin.

:P
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Many children tend to act like #4.!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Many children tend to act like #4.!!!!

I've seen better behaved young goats! They are kept in line by the mother goat.
Bethsmum

I think posted a long time back of another resturant that made their place kid free and it got a very good reception. I'm all for it.

Waiting for something like this to happen here aswell. Jeez the number of times a good meal or movie has been ruined by obnoxious brats !
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:I think posted a long time back of another resturant that made their place kid free and it got a very good reception. I'm all for it.

Waiting for something like this to happen here aswell. Jeez the number of times a good meal or movie has been ruined by obnoxious brats !

My goodness DDS!

Why not skip the big word and just say "CAFE". :twisted:
spellcheckergirl
Dubai Forums Frequenter

How about you learn to spell first, spell checker ?
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:How about you learn to spell first, spell checker ?

Boo Hooo!

restuarunt............ristooraint..........................restuoannnte.........................ristorant...............................restorant.............................................................CAFE!

LESSON ENDED FOR DDS.
spellcheckergirl
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dillon wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:First off I'm so glad you said 'children' BB - for the rest of you, Goats have 'kids'! People have 'children'!

FYIP

Kid.

1. informal a child or young person, verb (kids, kidding, kidded)
2. [with object] informal deceive in a playful way; tease.
3. Noun, a small wooden tub, especially a sailor's mess tub for grog or rations.
4. a young goat.
5. [mass noun] Soft nappy leather made from a young goat's skin.

:P

No Dillon! 'Kid' is another nasty Americanism that we could well do without.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:

OOOooooooohhhh NOOooooooooo it isnnnnnnnnnn't!!

The origin of ‘kid’ meaning child, 'our kid' 'kid brother or sister' is in Middle English from around 1150 to 1450, long before our American cousins started abusing the English language!

:lol:
Dillon

^^^^ :lol: :lol:
Bethsmum

Dillon wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

The origin of ‘kid’ meaning child, 'our kid' 'kid brother or sister' is in Middle English from around 1150 to 1450, long before our American cousins started abusing the English language!

Dillon, you give us Americans too much credit for shredding your English language. How many countries did the British colonize and opened schools to teach the locals English?? I know of one group where the letter "v" is replaced with the letter "w", as in Nowember, wine leaves. :lol: You are being a wery, wery naughty boy pointing your finger at Americans for crucifying your language. :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

In Persian we say Kodak for kids, perhaps some similar indo-european roots.
symmetric
BANNED

Bora Bora wrote:
Dillon wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

Dillon, you give us Americans too much credit for shredding your English language. How many countries did the British colonize and opened schools to teach the locals English?? I know of one group where the letter "v" is replaced with the letter "w", as in Nowember, wine leaves. :lol: You are being a wery, wery naughty boy pointing your finger at Americans for crucifying your language. :wink:

You area vanker Dillon
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Re: New Trend?? Jul 14, 2011
Git tae fa' yer bassarrt or aal het yer wi' maa cheb!

Dillon

Dillon wrote:Git tae fa' yer bassarrt or aal het yer wi' maa cheb!

Can you translate Dillon? I hadn't realised you spoke Persian too.
Bethsmum

Get to BEEP ya fat BEEP or l will hit you with my weapon BEEP BEEP BEEP
spellcheckergirl
Dubai Forums Frequenter

spellcheckergirl wrote:Get to BEEP ya fat BEEP or l will hit you with my weapon BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gosh, I'm well impressed at the amount of people speaking Persian on this forum. Thanks SPG.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:
spellcheckergirl wrote:Get to BEEP ya fat BEEP or l will hit you with my weapon BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gosh, I'm well impressed at the amount of people speaking Persian on this forum. Thanks SPG.

Beep is Farsi for car alert, "LOOK out 'Im coming".
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

I am glad they stopped serving children in certain restaurants...

I could never eat a whole one in one sitting!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat