New Speed Limit On SZR?

Topic locked
New speed limit on SZR? Jul 10, 2010
Hey,

for two years I am driving with cruise control (119kph) along Zayed Rd. and I never got a picture taken or any speeding fine for that matter. During the last three days I got flashed three times?! Did they adjust the threashold or something?!

Lars

Lars
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: New speed limit on SZR? Jul 10, 2010
There is a sneaky little old style square camera installed just before MoE heading towards Abu Dhabi. It points both ways and is set lower than 120kmph. There was a gap in the camera coverage there for a long time and regular users were used to giving it some right boot up to the Greens junction.

Obviously, Inspector Al Knacker has decided they don't have enough in the kitty for the Dubai Police Eid party...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: New Speed Limit On SZR? Jul 10, 2010
Yeah the one right beside the Gas Station with McDonalds where the fence is interrupted. The box was empty for quite a while until the 2nd of July.... But the others are still set to 120? Because I guess I got another picture taken from the "normal" cams. Or maybe they reduce the limit step by step to make up for the less busy summer period in order not to interrupt the cash flow as you said...
Lars
Dubai Forum Visitor

Correct. Less cars on the road = any possible way to up the monthly take from the unfortunates still here.

:( :( :(

Knight
Dubai Knight

How about we all stick to the speed limit?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:How about we all stick to the speed limit?

That would work wonders too. I haven't more than two speeding tickets in the past the past ten years, and both my fault for getting distracted and creeping over the limit.

FYI. Car speedo are not 100% accurate, specially if you have gone and messed about with the tyre sizes. Get a GPS and you'll usually find your anywhere from 5 to 10 kph out of of whack.

My simple strategy if the speed limit is 120 I drive at 105 to 115 Max. Traffic fines are the biggest waste of money.
desertdudeshj

Guys, I am living in the UAE for 5 years and during this time I accumulated 2 parking fines which were - by all means - not even justified. (In addition to the new may be speeding fines which would not be justified as well if they really set one cam different than the others because this would simply be unfair and if you are coming from the west you would know that no city would be able to get through with that legally). So no need to comment in the usual forum manner with a comment far away from the actual content of the discussion just to increase your post count.
Lars
Dubai Forum Visitor

Well you know the situation now so slow down when approaching, simple. Also don't go screaming foul just yet, there have to been more than a dozen occasions where I thought I have been flashed, incidents where I was close to the limit no other car anywhere near me. I thought for sure I've been had.

Specially on roads where there was no fixed radar one day then next day there was. Like the radar in teh airport tunnel or the new road above Dubai mall. I used everyday and next day radar and bang flash and I know it was me !

But none of these fines ever appeared. Several such incidents lead me to believe that atleast for the first day of a permanent radar they don't issue the fine. Sometimes they are just testing or calibrating equipment.
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Well you know the situation now so slow down when approaching, simple. Also don't go screaming foul just yet, there have to been more than a dozen occasions where I thought I have been flashed, incidents where I was close to the limit no other car anywhere near me. I thought for sure I've been had.

Specially on roads where there was no fixed radar one day then next day there was. Like the radar in teh airport tunnel or the new road above Dubai mall. I used everyday and next day radar and bang flash and I know it was me !

But none of these fines ever appeared. Several such incidents lead me to believe that atleast for the first day of a permanent radar they don't issue the fine. Sometimes they are just testing or calibrating equipment.

Or you must be a sheikh!

The one on the raised highway by Dubai Mall got me and the text came through the next day. Its active and catching out everyone as the limit is only 80 there.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: New speed limit on SZR? Jul 11, 2010
Well some of the speed limits are riculously low if you look at the actual limits and not the radar limits.

Liek the one on Doha street (raised street near Dubai mall). A 5 lane road which barely sees 1/10th the traffic on Shaikh Zayed road has a 80 kph limit.

Similarly 100 is a low limit for the Dubai Marina area.

Abu Dhabi has even become worse; the Yas free way, which is a 5 lane , 30 km strech of road has an official limit of only 100 kph, while the 4 lane Corniche has a limit of 60.

Maybe we should all become snails so that we dont speed.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: New speed limit on SZR? Jul 12, 2010
I stay at +10 km/hr of the speed limit which is quick enough for me. And have only got 1 speeding fine in 4 years :D

And I agree some roads are set at ridiculous limits :evil:
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

redtilldead wrote:I stay at +10 km/hr of the speed limit which is quick enough for me. And have only got 1 speeding fine in 4 years :D

Ditto, without the speeding fine
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:
redtilldead wrote:I stay at +10 km/hr of the speed limit which is quick enough for me. And have only got 1 speeding fine in 4 years :D

Ditto, without the speeding fine

Luckily it was "only" AED 200 back then :lol:

Seems like ages!
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

undefined Oct 16, 2014
i was driving for five years already in uae and only yesterday i got to have a speeding violation along this bridge opposite dubai mall. But how come this camera is right infront of the speed sign saying the speed limit is only 80kph? I came from DFC last night and traveling through Al Khail Road. The speed limit is 100-120kph as everyone driving on this part of the world knows. And my speed was 110kph. Continuing on this pace, a sudden flash occured and it is really is a shit feeling. You are following the speed limit and suddenly a camera flashed you! How the hell did they put a camera right before the warning speed limit sign? I am sure to complain this one on them!-speedfollower-dxb
speedfollowerdxb
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat