Lizards / Geckos

Topic locked
Lizards / geckos Jun 04, 2006
Hi, we just moved to our new house in Dubai, after a few months in an apartment, and have discovered lizards "living" in the house and using the curtains as their bathroom and also as their place to put their eggs....aghhhhhh!! gross!!!
How can I keep them out, or get rid of the ones inside (other than pushing them towards the door; I mean, I am asking for something more "definitive")? I would also use poisons, if necessary (against my husband's opinion). Please, help.

Eva
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Lizards / geckos Jun 04, 2006
Eva wrote:Hi, we just moved to our new house in Dubai, after a few months in an apartment, and have discovered lizards "living" in the house and using the curtains as their bathroom and also as their place to put their eggs....aghhhhhh!! gross!!!
How can I keep them out, or get rid of the ones inside (other than pushing them towards the door; I mean, I am asking for something more "definitive")? I would also use poisons, if necessary (against my husband's opinion). Please, help.

Ask the Dubai knight to sleep at your bed room for one night :)
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Lizards / geckos Jun 04, 2006
Eva wrote:Hi, we just moved to our new house in Dubai, after a few months in an apartment, and have discovered lizards "living" in the house and using the curtains as their bathroom and also as their place to put their eggs....aghhhhhh!! gross!!!

You can get lizard traps. Or you can get an air rifle and shoot them! :twisted:
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 04, 2006
lizards/ gecko's are reptiles, they are attracted to the home for a number of reasons. warmth, protection and a food source; the last being the most important.

you will normally find that if you have a lot of insects such as flies, mosquitos or even termites around your home they attract gecko's. in the evening insects are attracted to light sources and the gecko's simply sit around and pick them off.

you could poison them, however this may ultimately lead to an increase in insects or spiders around your home. an indirect way and more effective in the long term would be to control the insects, removing the food source for the gecko's. don't keep unnecessery lights on in the evening that would otherwise attract insects etc...

many people dislike them because of their reptilian charactaristics, they do however play an important roll around the house if this fact can be overlooked.

the species of gecko that you get locally are not poisonous and are pretty reclusive, they will rather run away when confronted by a preditor larger than themselves (or a human).
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jun 04, 2006
Those little guys are cute. (And too tiny to be shot with an air rifle :evil: ). I would wash your curtains and collect and remove the lizards from your house. How many are you talking about? I've only ever had one or two appear every few months outside the house. In the Greens we had two lizards appear in the apartment on separate occasions - they seemed to hitch a ride on the maintenance and cleaning crew's trolley.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jun 04, 2006
Lizards are good.... Especially when you deep fry them. :twisted:
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 04, 2006
Take a chinese girl or Dubai knight , i bet both of them can eat all of them without even cooking :)
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Jun 05, 2006
HP wrote:Take a chinese girl or Dubai knight , i bet both of them can eat all of them without even cooking :)

and i am sure that she will find ur "wise" advice the best to follow :twisted:
HP, man u r always there "helping" ppl ... :lol:
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 05, 2006
BBQ Lizard is a specialty dish in Dubai. When you go to one of the restaurants serving "local" food (you'll see them in the guide books), you should ask for "BBQ Lizard" it won't be on the menu but when you ask the wait staff they'll know you are "in the know" in Dubai and will be treated accordingly.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 05, 2006
These little guys are completely harmless and are actually very good at gobbling up all the nasty insects that come into the house.

They won't hurt you.

Just wash your curtains, use humane traps to catch them and put the little guys outside. They're doing you a favour.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 05, 2006
OMG Lizards & geckos
:shock: :shock: :shock:

SUCKS & CREEPY
Sara1983
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 05, 2006
What do you mean OMG!!!!

They're tiny, and very very cute. They won't hurt you, they'll run away at the sight of you.

You probably have loads of them living in your place and don't realise it as you'll rarely see them.

We have a couple in our villa and we only see them every now and again running up the wall.

But they eat all those nasty mosqitos, flies and other nuisance bugs.

Lizards and G's are the good guys, not the bad guys.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 05, 2006
These things are commonly found in most parts of SE Asia. They're harmless and as others have pointed out they act as a natural form of 'insecticide'.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 05, 2006
Just don't whatever you do, try and catch them by their tails. As an escape mechanism to get away from predators, the ends of their tails will fall off if caught by it.

They do grow back over time however.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 05, 2006
You should feel lucky your lizards are not Nile Monitor Lizards!

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.as ... 2003_pg9_3

Those beasts invaded Florida a couple years ago...
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 05, 2006
HP have you hugged your lizard today??? :lol:
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jun 05, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:What do you mean OMG!!!!

They're tiny, and very very cute. They won't hurt you, they'll run away at the sight of you.

You probably have loads of them living in your place and don't realise it as you'll rarely see them.

We have a couple in our villa and we only see them every now and again running up the wall.

But they eat all those nasty mosqitos, flies and other nuisance bugs.

Lizards and G's are the good guys, not the bad guys.

lol alrighty coOL :D :P

OMG, she was talkin like she've got loads
and yeah those things are disgusting =- /
Sara1983
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 05, 2006
dbxsoul wrote:HP have you hugged your lizard today??? :lol:

I'm sure he enjoys 'huggin' it firmly every night.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 05, 2006
I enjoy squashing the lizards I see outside.... It makes an interesting noise when it dies... :twisted:

Also like to run over squirrels (but thats in Canada) and see if I can crush the stray cats in Dubai (sometimes its a hit)... :twisted: :twisted:
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 05, 2006
Is that what the target on your hood is for Liban? :lol:
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 05, 2006
GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jun 05, 2006
kanelli wrote:GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Now the avatar makes sense... the little girl is pleading for more... carnage.

"Please sir, can I have more"
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 05, 2006
Did I tell you what I do to hamsters? I play darts with them. The more blood they splatter, the more points I give myself.

I pluck out the eyes of little chicks and rabbits.

I also like to anally electrocute dogs and sheep....
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 05, 2006
Liban wrote:I also like to anally electrocute dogs and sheep....

Still less gratifying than what Kiwis and Scots do to them.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 05, 2006
Actually, I thought his avatar made him look like a pedophile :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jun 05, 2006
Liban wrote:Lizards are good.... Especially when you deep fry them. :twisted:

Liban what did we say about eating lizards ?!!? :?

Always add some MAYO !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

Jun 05, 2006
No, I have not hugged them, and I still think they are not that cute, considering they use the curtains as their bathroom and as the place to put their eggs (big families of these creatures!!)....it is disgusting!!
Eva
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 05, 2006
kanelli wrote:Actually, I thought his avatar made him look like a pedophile :lol:

:lol: So we have categorized Liban as a pedophalistic, anti animal activist. I feel a whole new thread emerging here...
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 05, 2006
Eva wrote:No, I have not hugged them, and I still think they are not that cute, considering they use the curtains as their bathroom and as the place to put their eggs (big families of these creatures!!)....it is disgusting!!

Simply call any of the PEST control guys and ask them to do it for u !
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

Jun 05, 2006
Palkid7 wrote:
Eva wrote:No, I have not hugged them, and I still think they are not that cute, considering they use the curtains as their bathroom and as the place to put their eggs (big families of these creatures!!)....it is disgusting!!

Simply call any of the PEST control guys and ask them to do it for u !

Wise Action!
Sara1983
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat