Knife Laws In UAE

Topic locked
Knife Laws In UAE Mar 02, 2012
I am from sharjah , UAE
And I am local

So ... Is it legal to carry pocket knifes around in UAE ??

3bdul3zeez
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Knife Laws In UAE Mar 02, 2012
3bdul3zeez ,

Go to your nearest police station I'm sure they can help you.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

I am still waiting for the answer !!
3bdul3zeez
Dubai Forum Guest

People here not in the law and this is a very specific question. Call the police station and ask them. It was legal sometime ago, maybe they have made it illegal after few incidents of somebody was using pocket knife in sharjah to coercive people.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

The police know, we don't.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

3bdul3zeez ,

What part of "go to your nearest police station" don't you understand?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Knife Laws In UAE Mar 03, 2012
3bdul3zeez ,

We can be an unfriendly lot on DF sometimes!

I'm not familiar with the laws but why not take the common sense approach? I'm presuming you want to carry a pocket knife or one of your friends does? If this is the case why is it so? Is it for protection or to use against someone? If that is the case then I'm sure the Police would come up with some law to prosecute you under.

Don't do it, it is not worth it and even if the Police don't catch you carrying the knife, just think of the trouble it could land you in if you get into a fight. You are better off leaving those things at home out of harm's way.

Now if I've got this all wrong and you want to carry a pocket knife for legitimate purposes, say you needed it in your line of work or sport (fishing?) or something, this may not be against the law.

In the UK my friends son is training to be a chef. He regularly carries kitchen knives to and from college. This is not illegal. Had he been going out with his friends at night and carried a kitchen knife, them he would be arrested and prosecuted.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

Use your common sense and stay safe.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

First ...you are a local...you have far greater chances to get away with the law than an expat because of the double standards with the UAE laws.

But for expats, it is illegal to carry a knife, whether a pocket knife or 15" bowie. knives are allowed only for camping, boating, fishing and hunting as BM posted rightly. not for self defense. It also the stupidest idea to walk to a police station and ask, you will find yourself, questionned for 2 hours as to why you ask, and if you have one.

If you get caught with a knife , or if someone reports you carrying a knife, the least is that you will have to sign an undertaking at the police station and be fingerprinted, they will confiscate your knife and let you go. if you do it again, you will be prosecuted.

Pepper sprays, any self defense items are illegals, as to anything esle which can be used as a weapon, could be a screw driver or stilettos shoes, if they are not yours. handcuffs, scopes, bi pod and such gun accessories are illegal.

You really have no reasons to carry a knife in Dubai .
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

I dont need it for self defence , it's just a tool , a swiss army knife ; if you know what i mean .
And it can't be used as a weapon , the blade is just 2.5 inches , and it is not locking .

And , if i was going to fight , i will better use my hand than a knife .
3bdul3zeez
Dubai Forum Guest

3bdul3zeez ,

Then pop in to your local Police Station and ask the question.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

3bdul3zeez wrote:I dont need it for self defence , it's just a tool , a swiss army knife ; if you know what i mean .
And it can't be used as a weapon , the blade is just 2.5 inches , and it is not locking .

And , if i was going to fight , i will better use my hand than a knife .

If I were you I'd leave the knife at home. Why do you want to carry it anyway? If it's not a tool and you don't need it for anything else, why bother?

I don't know how old you are but if you had a son of, say, 17, would you want him walking round with a swiss army knife in his pocket?
I know I wouldn't.

The fact that you're asking if it's legal tells a story. You know in your heart it's wrong.
Take my advice and leave the knife in your bedroom when you leave home and stay safe!
Bethsmum

sage & onion ,

One would think that would be the wise thing to do, but no need seeing as he has received expert advice.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Better to offer some advice than to just be totally unhelpful I would have thought. He is asking after all.
Bethsmum

I am asking about the law , i am not asking about your oponion about carrying a pocket knife around .
It's a tool , not a weapon .. So I am just asking about legal part .
I should search some where else .
Your oponions is not important for me , because i didnt ask you about them .
Thanks anywhay and goodby
3bdul3zeez
Dubai Forum Guest

Suggesting one go to a knowledgeable source, such as the police isn't helpful or good advice?

When one wants to know the laws of their OWN country, best to ask those in the know rather than rely on the expert advise given by expats.

I see he appreciated the opinions passed on to him. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

3bdul3zeez wrote:Thanks anywhay and goodby

You're welcome.

--- Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:58 pm ---

Bethsmum

Bora Bora wrote:Suggesting one go to a knowledgeable source, such as the police isn't helpful or good advice?
Maybe he is afraid to ask the police. That is understandable. He can go to a lawyer, but that will cost him some money.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nucleus wrote:Maybe he is afraid to ask the police. That is understandable. He can go to a lawyer, but that will cost him some money.

Why would anyone be afraid to ask a question?? Unless they have bad intentions.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Why would anyone be afraid to ask a question?? Unless they have bad intentions.
Not necessarily. They might not understand why he has to keep a swiss knief, and he might get into trouble. May not happen, but it may not be easy to ask the police even if he has no bad intentions. He can ask a lawyer without the fear of getting into trouble, but they won't give him free advice.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

It all sounds strange to me. It likely wouldn't have occurred to me to ask police about a Swiss Army knife, which is essentially a pocket tool kit. I'd just carry it with me if I was camping or in the context I'd need it, but wouldn't be carrying it every day. I would never suspect that I'd be patted down by police or asked to turn out my pockets. If they happened to stop us out in a wadi and they asked about my Swiss Army knife, I'd just explain what I was using the tools for. However, if I was stopped by police after a fight with others and was found to be in possession of a tool kit that does have a small knife, yes, there may be problems, especially if the tool was being brandished as a weapon...
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Bora Bora ,

Looking more and more like a wind-up to me
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nucleus ,

Well, do you understand why he has to keep a swiss knife, because I don't, and I don't see any explanation from the OP. It's a simple question Nucleus - is it legal to carry a pocketknife in the UAE? I don't think they are going to throw him into the interrogation room and keep him there for 3 days finding out why he asked. And if the do ask and he explains he just wants to "carry one", they will probably tell him if he can or can't.

--- Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:50 pm ---

sage & onion wrote:Looking more and more like a wind-up to me

Nah. I think it's just some silly little boy.

--- Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:55 pm ---

kanelli ,

They come in various sizes with different "gadgets" K and can be used as a weapon. You see a Swiss Army knife as a pocket tool kit or something to use when camping. Someone else can see it as being a weapon or can be used to protect themself.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Well, do you understand why he has to keep a swiss knife, because I don't, and I don't see any explanation from the OP. It's a simple question Nucleus - is it legal to carry a pocketknife in the UAE? I don't think they are going to throw him into the interrogation room and keep him there for 3 days finding out why he asked. And if the do ask and he explains he just wants to "carry one", they will probably tell him if he can or can't.
I don't understand. But he doesn't have to have any bad intention behind it, maybe just afraid to ask the police. Police might not throw him in, but he might be afraid of something like that. People have different kind of phobias. Just saying he may not have any bad intention.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Knife Laws In UAE Jul 11, 2012
I came looking for the same information, whether it was legal or not. After reading in the paper the other day about youth getting in to knife fights, the paper claimed that there are law preventing youth from carrying knifes but did not specify adults. I was under the impression that it was illegal for everyone. I even gave away my pocket knife to my friend be for moving here.

I must say that I am a little shocked by all of this speculation about a man's intent for asking if he can carry a knife. I myself have carried a pocket knife from about the age of 8, about the same time I was taken to my first hunter safety class. I of course never took it to school when I was young, but the rest of the time it was with me. I never dreamed of and still wouldn't of using it as a weapon, it was and will always be tool first. If I needed a self-defense tool, would reach for my torch before anything else.

People have enjoyed the convince of having sharp tools since about the stone ages. Tools and our ability to use them are the things that separate us from the rest of the animal kingdom. Some people have asked me why I would carry a knife everywhere, to which I reply, "To cut things." Until I moved here a knife was always in my E.D.C. (Everyday Carry) list. I find myself going to use it at least once or twice a week and find it incredible inconvenient that I can't cut things unless I'm at my house, and even then I have to use a kitchen/utility/hobby knife, when I could have just reached in to my pocket and used the tool that I have become accustomed to being there for the last 25 years. There is a blade on my Leatherman that I still carry, but it has never kept a nice edge and is for all intents and purposes useless.

Some people do find it silly that I have an E.D.C. bag, but as soon as someone needs a tool, or a torch, or a lighter (fire, something else humans have enjoyed since before time); there they are calling me over to use one of my tools. I really don't know what else to say on the subject, other than I find it strange, that people on this forum, find it strange that a person would have a pocket knife.

E.D.C.:
Oakley AP Backpack
Surefire Torch + Spare set of batteries
CRKT M16-10KZ Tanto Pocket Knife (normally, but not here)
Vortex Solo Tactical 8x36 monoscope
Leatherman Multi-Tool (Fuse version)
Cannon pocket camera + Spare battery
TI-89 Calculator+ Spare set of batteries
Wedgie Bar
Finger nail Clippers
Small roll of Athletic tape
Nalgene 1L Water Bottle w/ ~1 meter of Duct Tape around it
Tissot Sea Touch
Mobile (iPhone)
Spare set of glasses
Oakley Juliet sunglasses
Safety pins (kept in band of my hat)
MacBook Air + charger
USB w/multi pack adapter + car adapter
Beat Solo Head Phones
Pentel Needle tip Pen
Standard Black Sharpie Marker
Standard Bic Butane Lighter

If the kids are with me: (Inclusive)
Baby Bottles
Spare Change of clothes (for both of them)
Complete day's worth of diapers for both of them
Wet Wipes
Cracker packs
Elia's Kitchen Fruit Pouches
Formula for 4 complete bottles.
iPad
IMHO
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Knife Laws In UAE Jul 13, 2012
why carry a knife in public unless you are exoecting / about to cause trouble
akbmoto
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Knife Laws In UAE Jul 13, 2012
akbmoto ,

To cut things, e.g.
Packaging, string, rope, straws that are too long for my 2 year old, webbing, seatbelt, fruit, and so on.
Fell free to use your imagination. Sharp tools have been used long before time began and not just for hurting things.

The real question is why wouldn't you carry a tool that is so versatile?
IMHO
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Knife Laws In UAE Jul 20, 2012
Well, i have reasoned your question and i suggest you meet the police to find out.
Hope you get something helpful.
Thanks.
marcopaige963
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: Knife Laws In UAE Oct 26, 2013
the topic is quite old and I do not know the answer though I have to write my thoughts. (I was searching the answer of the same question.)
I find it interesting that people not carrying a knife write a lot about why other should not do it and that their intentions are not good. I am a very calm person and have never ever fought anyone. I refused to do military service in my original country because I was completely against any kind of violence although this service would have been obligatory. (so I had to make a much longer civil service instead.) I got my first swiss army knife from my father when I was seven. I feel inexplicable attraction to high quality beautifully made knives and folding knives. that's why I never buy cheap knives. (not even for my wife into the kitchen!) I used to carry a P3Gc from fallkniven on my belt in a sheath. when liner lock knives were banned I carried a U1c. later it was banned too. (technically one could actually kill people with a pencil too... why are they still legal? or the potato peelers? or a piece of brick?) a friend of mine told me once he saw me with a folding knife that he was a civilised person so he did not carry knife. I gave him a pomegranate to eat it. without a knife... I eat pomegranate every single day. and as my teeth are very tender and as I eat a lot of fruits it is just so good to cut the apple instead of biting it for example...
so I believe that some cannot imagine why others want to carry a knife. however it shows the lack of fantasy rather than the unnecessary possession of a knife. and at the end of the day the guy is concerned about the rules is less likely to break the rules...
and unfortunately I did not get answer here either.
cnstntnvrg
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: Knife Laws In UAE Dec 19, 2013
hi guys. I actually had an experience with regards to carrying a pocket knife which I bought in a mall in sharjah,. I was actually carrying a pocket knife and I was in the trade center for an arabhealth conference and I forgot to remove my pocket knife and as I passed through a sensor in the entrance and it alarmed so the police asked me to empty my pocket and I showed my 4 inch foldable knife and its not even a multi tool its just a plain byrd foldable pocket knife and the police just told me that its not allowed inside and simply told me to leave it in the car....and that's how I did and went back in and no problem at all. I beleieved that small foldable knife is not an an issue but a fixed blade is yes a NO NO here in uae based on my experience..

I also carry my EDC bag which includes my leatherman multi tool and a flashlight as well as my tool logic with flint attached to it at all the time for emergency use.coz I sometimes had problems with my pc and car. and I actually have used my multi tool to open up a window coxz my neighbors 3 year old child was stuck inside the house accidentally and the nanny was screaming for help to open the door, so I opened the window just to get in and used only my gerber fast multi tool and save the day for real.... so I always carry them coz you never know when you need it the most. ..
glimmerman1905
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: Knife Laws In UAE Jan 06, 2014
Hi Glimmerman. Thank you for sharing your experience.
When did police caught you with a pocket knife? I mean is it a recent experience or laws could change since it happened?

ps: I also carried a pocket knife when I was a child and it was not for fighting.
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat