Jebel Ali - Origin Of Name

Topic locked
Jebel Ali - origin of name Mar 12, 2007
A genuine question (as in I don't know the answer) - but who knows what the origin of Jebel Ali is?

Jebel = mountain, Ali = name of a person - so it means 'Moutain Ali' or 'Ali's mountain'.

However, there isn't a mountain there as far as I can tell.

Google, for once, failed me - but it was interesting to see the entry under Wikipedia for Jebel Ali, apparently it's the most visited port by the US navy outside of US, and it says that all sailors who go abroad have been to Jebel Ali. There are permanent 'liberty' houses on shore referred to as the sand box or somethiing similar.... but no indication where the name comes from.

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 12, 2007
Actually it is more of a hill than a mountain but yes Jebal Ali translates to the mountain of Ali and is the name of the hill on the left hand side as you drive to Jebal Ali, at least that is what I was told.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Mar 12, 2007
some say on that hill a mulla named Ali lived & helped sick ppl :roll:
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 12, 2007
Sounds interesting - thanks Fayz and Mema.

I have to say, I've not noticed a hill - hence the question. I'll keep an eye out for it next time I go down to the beach or go shooting.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Jebel Ali - origin of name Mar 12, 2007
shafique wrote:A genuine question (as in I don't know the answer) - but who knows what the origin of Jebel Ali is?

Jebel = mountain, Ali = name of a person - so it means 'Moutain Ali' or 'Ali's mountain'.

However, there isn't a mountain there as far as I can tell.

As said above it is a bit of a hill. Yo will notice that the Huge stellite dishes located there - behind ibn battuta. Relatively speaking for its surrounding it is a 'mountain".

By the way, what are you doing in this forum and who is minding the political forum in your absence :wink: I should stop by one of these days. But you know me - always trying to pull that nuclear weapon trigger :wink:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

sonapur? Mar 18, 2007
so whats the origin of sonapur then? always wondered
therjv
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 20, 2007
http://www.gulfnews.com/inpictures/sub_story/10109658.html
guest999

Mar 20, 2007
Thanks for posting the link Not_sure.

A very interesting read - its amazing how little is known of the history of place names compared to other places around the world.

Did anyone else note the tone in which the premise that 'Dubai' may have Persian roots was a little too emphatic? :)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat