IPhone Or Blackberry?

Topic locked
IPhone or Blackberry? Jul 01, 2011
I'm not normally careless but the other night I made a total boo boo when I put my iPhone in the washing machine. I switched the machine on and as the drum filled with water, a light shone from within which mesmerised me until I realised it was my phone! I emptied the drum and retrieved my phone but it was too late and it's totally knackered. Fortunately the sim is ok so I have all my numbers but I've lost my lovely pictures of Canada as I hadn't backed my phone up since I got back.
I'm lost without my emails and internet on my phone so my friend lent me a Blackberry.
I struggled a bit with it last night and although I could send and receive texts from Beth (she was in the same room) I wasn't able to text abroad or receive texts from abroad and in the end gave up and went back to my ancient Samsung.
I visited my local O2 shop at lunch time and asked for advice. Was there a setting on the Blackberry that needed changing to send/receive texts from abroad? Not to their knowledge!
I'm not due for an upgrade and therefore a new phone for 3 months so am considering buying myself out of the contract and setting up a new one to be able to get a decent phone. To buy an Iphone ranges from £400 to £500, or a Blackberry from £160 to £460 so I don't want to pay that. O2 have a new deal where you can pay buy yourself out of the contact for the price of the line rental (£35.00 per month) less 20% less VAT of 20%.

The big question is, would you go for an Iphone or a Blackberry?

I have to admit I loved my Iphone but Beth raves about her Blackberry.

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: IPhone Or Blackberry? Jul 01, 2011
If you're into humble quality & a lot of chit chatting, then blindly just go for Blackberry.
If you're into technology, high quality, games/photos/videos, then your choice would be iPhone.
symmetric
BANNED

Re: IPhone or Blackberry? Jul 01, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:I'm not normally careless but the other night I made a total boo boo when I put my iPhone in the washing machine. I switched the machine on and as the drum filled with water, a light shone from within which mesmerised me until I realised it was my phone! I emptied the drum and retrieved my phone but it was too late and it's totally knackered. Fortunately the sim is ok so I have all my numbers but I've lost my lovely pictures of Canada as I hadn't backed my phone up since I got back.........

I am loosing count of the no. of cell phones I have lost. The last one flew off the roof of my car as I speeded up on the highway and saw it dancing behind me in the air in my rear view mirrors. I currently have a lowly Blackberry, and am happy with it. I have also started resorting to Insurance of your device against loss, damage, or theft.
I was sad to hear that you lost your lovely pictures of your recent trip to Canada! Sometimes, I read a sort of symbolism in human actions. In this case: Washing off your recent past! :lol:
zonker
BANNED

Re: IPhone or Blackberry? Jul 01, 2011
The Iphone is a good Ipod, not a good phone. Never had a BB, so can't compare.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: IPhone or Blackberry? Jul 02, 2011
I love my BB, never had an iphone but my OH has and he's now a BB convert. I think if you want something that does what it says on the tin, with ease of use go for the BB. If you're an apps person and want all the whistles and bells get an iphone.

However, it might well be worth considering an Android phone. The Samsung Galaxy runs Android and everyone I know with one totally raves about it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: IPhone or Blackberry? Jul 02, 2011
zonker wrote:I am loosing count of the no. of cell phones I have lost. The last one flew off the roof of my car as I speeded up on the highway and saw it dancing behind me in the air in my rear view mirrors. I currently have a lowly Blackberry, and am happy with it. I have also started resorting to Insurance of your device against loss, damage, or theft.
I was sad to hear that you lost your lovely pictures of your recent trip to Canada! Sometimes, I read a sort of symbolism in human actions. In this case: Washing off your recent past! :lol:

Thanks Zonker. I never insure anything unless absolutely necessary, like my house. I'm not even insured myself. I always think it's a total waste of money. When you look at how much insurance you can pay and never make a claim, and then when you do, you have excess to pay and your premiums go up! Luckily for me I'm not too accident prone but on this occasion I was just careless. You see, what exactly happened was that Beth was having one of her infamous parties and me being top mum, was making pizza for them. They were having some kind of rave in the field behind my house and on my last trip out laden with pizza I slipped on a load of green cow poo and landed firmly on my backside. I didn't drop the pizza though! I was covered in s.h.i.t! :shock: The kids were very kind and didn't take any photos, at least I don't think they did. I've checked Youtube and can't see anything yet. Well I just headed straight for the bathroom, where my washine machine is situated and dumped all of my clothes in the washer, plus phone. You see, I was in shock and not normally prone to being so careless.
I think I pulled a muscle in my leg to top it all :x

The Iphone is a good Ipod, not a good phone. Never had a BB, so can't compare.

I miss my music FD! Although I liked the phone too, it had a habit of freezing on me.

I love my BB, never had an iphone but my OH has and he's now a BB convert. I think if you want something that does what it says on the tin, with ease of use go for the BB. If you're an apps person and want all the whistles and bells get an iphone.

However, it might well be worth considering an Android phone. The Samsung Galaxy runs Android and everyone I know with one totally raves about it.

Thanks Chocs! Do you know something, I don't have a clue to what an android phone is!
Bethsmum

Re: IPhone Or Blackberry? Jul 02, 2011
well, my late last phone was an Android Samsung Galaxy, and I was offerred insurance which sounded reasonable at $3/ month. The guy also explained to me that I could claim a new phone twice in a year; was he trying to tell me something? I declined of course. The rest is history!
zonker
BANNED

Re: IPhone Or Blackberry? Jul 03, 2011
zonker wrote:well, my late last phone was an Android Samsung Galaxy, and I was offerred insurance which sounded reasonable at $3/ month. The guy also explained to me that I could claim a new phone twice in a year; was he trying to tell me something? I declined of course. The rest is history!

You didn't explain what an android phone was Zonker. It sounds like something from out of space to me :P
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:
zonker wrote:well, my late last phone was an Android Samsung Galaxy, and I was offerred insurance which sounded reasonable at $3/ month. The guy also explained to me that I could claim a new phone twice in a year; was he trying to tell me something? I declined of course. The rest is history!

You didn't explain what an android phone was Zonker. It sounds like something from out of space to me :P

BM android always sounded like a cross between a robot from outter space and an aboriginal to me;(I remember the picture you showed us here on DF bearing a strong resemblance to someone :wink: ) unfortunately it turns out to be something far less exotic. Android was the name of a company founded by a couple of nerds in Palo Alto, California, way back in 2003, which was later acquired by Google in 2005. Its really the name of an Operating System. Supposed to do things quicker and smoother. The phones which use the Android operating system are called Smartphones, like the Samsung Galaxy. And thats about it. It probably is not much different than an iPhone to the casual user, except that the applications may run with fewer glitches. However, hackers, bless their hearts, have recently caused some problems and Google is now working on it. 8)
zonker
BANNED

Re: IPhone or Blackberry? Jul 03, 2011
Thank you for explaining that Zonker!

I think you may be refering to my picture of a native aborigine. I took a lot of stick for that Zonker, for calling them the ugliest people around. Apparantly I'm shallow :D I still think they are ugly buggers.

I don't know who you think my picture looked like Zonker :shock: It wasn't me I hope! I'm blonde! I'm slightly better looking than that, so I've been told, although someone did tell me, once, I had a face like a blind cobblers thumb. :D I divorced him sharpish.
Bethsmum

How could I think that picture of the aborgine was like you BM? You are the most beautiful person on this planet.
Blind cobblers thumb? Whoever said that to you deserved a thumb up his.........nose! You took the right step! :evil:
zonker
BANNED

Good grief Zonker! No, no, no, no, no.! Practically ALL phones these days are smart phones, regardless of operating system.

Apple make iphone, RIM make BB, Google created the Android OS which runs on the Galaxy AND other types of phones.

Android has now overtaken Apple as the number one OS for smart phones. Do some research hey!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Some people don't care as long as it is available in Barbie pink or with a Burberry check cover...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Well, of all the ‘smart’ phones I’ve owned, they never proved to be that ‘smart’ at all, and the most troublesome OS without doubt was Symbian with Android a close second! BB would be my choice if security of communications was an issue, and iPhone as a good, customisable all rounder.

:wink:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Chocs, I just said the Samsung was a smartphone using the Android OS. Or thats what I meant.
A smartphone is a mobile phone and a PDA (Personal Digital Assisstant), and also may have a camera, wifi, GPS etc. and other applications, the list keeps on growing longer.
The Android OS, BTW was not created by Google.
Anyway, I dont want to do research in this as this is not my line. I hardly ever use these devices for anything else but the most basic of its functions: the phone, and email/text messages.
Peace!
zonker
BANNED

Re: IPhone Or Blackberry? Jul 04, 2011
Neither I'd go for the Samsung S2, or wait for the new Nokia releases operating on the Windows platform. They look rather sexy, and sexy isn't sometin I'd normally associate with Nokia.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat