Incident At Sharjah Airport W/immigration Officials

Topic locked
Incident at Sharjah Airport w/immigration officials Apr 06, 2008
Hello everyone,

Im a Pakistani-American (U.S. Passport holder) a few years ago I lost my temper at Sharjah Airport with the immigration officials there over a visa issue.

I shouted at them in front of all the passengers and insulted them without cussing them out because they refused to let me know as to why they had detained me. Later they told me that I had overstayed my visa and would be subjected to a fine, which is totally ok with me, but I got really upset with them because they plucked me out of line, almost caused me to miss my flight and kept me in a seperate room without disclosing any details as to why they were keeping me there.

My question to other members of this board would be do you think those immigration officials could have filed a case against me for insulting them? or worse entered some negative comments about me in there computer sytem using my passport number ?

Im planning on visiting the country soon and would hate to be caught up in a legal mess

After this incidient, I was able to make several trips in and out of the country without being detained, however, I haven't been in the U.A.E for about 3 years.

I admit, what I did was stupid but I was young and kind of immature back then. Looking back at that incident, I now realise that they could have arrested me right there on the spot for insulting them, but they didn't for some reason.

What do you guys think? do I have anything to worry about ?

techsource2005
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 06, 2008
Well, you have visited th UAE three afterwards, so I donot think you have a problem. The incident will most probably in their system, whether you made a scene I donot know. One time I saw what information they had about me, and it was a lot. They keep track of everything. In general, I travel a lot and sometimes security/customs also give me problems and keep me without specifying a reason. I show my annoyment and sometimes speak in a loud voice, never gave me problems afterwards...
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 06, 2008
Flying Dutchman,

I really made a big scene at the airport, im sure they have it in their system.

I regret losing my temper but I cannot change the past, what's done is done

I did make a few trips to the country after this ugly incident and had no problems clearing immigration, however, I would only enter via DXB, I will never ever depart/arrive via Sharjah Airport again.

They always made petty remarks on how my passport is fake and that im only a visitor to U.S.A, I go through all of this because im not a white american

Dubai airport is a different story, they have always treated me in a professional manner, never had any problems there.

Thanks for your advice, I never knew they actually had a tracking system!
techsource2005
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 06, 2008
techsource2005 wrote:Flying Dutchman,

I really made a big scene at the airport, im sure they have it in their system.

I regret losing my temper but I cannot change the past, what's done is done

I did make a few trips to the country after this ugly incident and had no problems clearing immigration, however, I would only enter via DXB, I will never ever depart/arrive via Sharjah Airport again.

They always made petty remarks on how my passport is fake and that im only a visitor to U.S.A, I go through all of this because im not a white american

Dubai airport is a different story, they have always treated me in a professional manner, never had any problems there.

Thanks for your advice, I never knew they actually had a tracking system!

The fact that you have entered the UAE following the incident indicates that you will not have a problem as the Immigration records are centralised.
You would be wise not to react in such a manner again in front of Government officials and that is not only here, you may even get problems in the USA if you react in such a manner.

Good luck on your trip.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 08, 2008
Sage,

I know what you mean, I was an arrogant teenager back then, but still Sharjah immigration officials should at least have the courtesy to let a traveler know as to why they have been detained, just my two cents on the matter.

A reputable law firm (by the name of trench law) has even offered to do a search on all entry points of the country for a fee of $700.00; do you think this is legitimate?
techsource2005
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 08, 2008
techsource2005 wrote:Sage,

I know what you mean, I was an arrogant teenager back then, but still Sharjah immigration officials should at least have the courtesy to let a traveler know as to why they have been detained, just my two cents on the matter.

A reputable law firm (by the name of trench law) has even offered to do a search on all entry points of the country for a fee of $700.00; do you think this is legitimate?

As far as I am aware Trench Law is a decent firm
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 08, 2008
Sage,

I’m sure it's a legitimate business establishment, however, isn’t that kinda scary? I mean what if someone has committed murder or worse, they can simply have a law firm in the U.A.E check if there has been a warrant issued against them and never come back to the country!?

I guess money does buy you everything in the U.A.E
techsource2005
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 08, 2008
techsource2005 wrote:Sage,

I’m sure it's a legitimate business establishment, however, isn’t that kinda scary? I mean what if someone has committed murder or worse, they can simply have a law firm in the U.A.E check if there has been a warrant issued against them and never come back to the country!?

I guess money does buy you everything in the U.A.E

Business is business, and what you described, if true, could hardly be termed as murder.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 09, 2008
I agree, by the way..................where are you from Sage ?
techsource2005
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat