Images Of Dubai 1992

1 Dubai Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Dubai
Topic locked
  • Reply
Images of Dubai 1992 Posted Jan 17, 2007
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

These pictures were taken by Tarkers back in 1992, amazing the difference then and now

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 16372
Location: Dubai and beyond

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
You wouldn't even recognise it as the same place!
Tickles
Dubai Forum Visitor
User avatar
Posts: 11

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
how about big ones? rather than thumbnails so we have a clearer picture
^Enigma^
Dubai Forums Enthusiast
User avatar
Posts: 61

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
Time flies, and so as my money. :oops:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers
User avatar
Posts: 1999

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
Tickles wrote:You wouldn't even recognise it as the same place!


That's because you'd need a magnifying glass.

Couldn't you find any smaller pictures Sage?
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts
User avatar
Posts: 5319

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
Tickles wrote:You wouldn't even recognise it as the same place!


That's because you'd need a magnifying glass.

Couldn't you find any smaller pictures Sage?


Looking for smaller ones now
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 16372
Location: Dubai and beyond

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
Yeah, sorry, my fault guys.
I asked Sage & Onion to help me upload these as I'm a wide-eyed Noob!
I sent these tiny ones so as not to clog up the forum with big fat Jpegs. I'll see if I can upload them again now slightly larger so you can see how it used to be!

Cheers
Tarkers
Tarkers
UAE, Dubai Forum starter
User avatar
Posts: 1
Location: UK Solihull

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
I am here since 1981. I don't ever remember Dubai as being barren. Less traffic though. And more free parking.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU
User avatar
Posts: 2285
Location: Dubai

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
how so developed now :shock:

couse of petrol?
Deniz
Dubai forums GURU
Posts: 2456
Location: Türkiye

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
Deniz wrote:how so developed now :shock:

couse of petrol?


Not so much of that in Dubai Deniz, Dubai is about Trade & Business and the courage to go forward with your vision.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 16372
Location: Dubai and beyond

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
Not so much of that in Dubai Deniz, Dubai is about Trade & Business and the courage to go forward with your vision.


Thanx for ur explanation.
Deniz
Dubai forums GURU
Posts: 2456
Location: Türkiye

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
From Metroblogging Dubai


Image




SCROLL DOWN
























Image
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 16372
Location: Dubai and beyond

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
thats a massive difference :shock: :shock:
Galactico
Dubai forums GURU
User avatar
Posts: 2241
Location: UK

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
Galactico wrote:thats a massive difference :shock: :shock:


It is, however I think they got the date wrong, I think early 80's is more like.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 16372
Location: Dubai and beyond

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
sage & onion wrote:
Galactico wrote:thats a massive difference :shock: :shock:


It is, however I think they got the date wrong, I think early 80's is more like.


I guess you would know old timer
Galactico
Dubai forums GURU
User avatar
Posts: 2241
Location: UK

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
Galactico wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
Galactico wrote:thats a massive difference :shock: :shock:


It is, however I think they got the date wrong, I think early 80's is more like.


I guess you would know old timer


Thank you for your kind words :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 16372
Location: Dubai and beyond

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
sage & onion wrote:
Galactico wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
Galactico wrote:thats a massive difference :shock: :shock:


It is, however I think they got the date wrong, I think early 80's is more like.


I guess you would know old timer


Thank you for your kind words :lol:


pleasures all mine :wink:
Galactico
Dubai forums GURU
User avatar
Posts: 2241
Location: UK

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
No way the first picture to have been taken in 1991.
:!: I come here at first in 1992 and SZR was much more developped that it is on the picture.
Francheska
Dubai Forums Frequenter
Posts: 114

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
Francheska wrote:No way the first picture to have been taken in 1991.
:!: I come here at first in 1992 and SZR was much more developped that it is on the picture.


I believe it was early 80's as said before.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 16372
Location: Dubai and beyond

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
Maybe even earlier, let's say in the early seventies.
If you check the details on the bigger image neither Jumeirah houses are exsistent nor the villas behind the Trade Center on the smaller pictures
Francheska
Dubai Forums Frequenter
Posts: 114

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
sage & onion wrote:
Galactico wrote:thats a massive difference :shock: :shock:


It is, however I think they got the date wrong, I think early 80's is more like.


Exacaticaly. I believe someone is trying to show that Dubai developed way faster than it really did.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU
User avatar
Posts: 2285
Location: Dubai

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
lol..back in 1992..i was jus 4 :oops:
d3vilish_ang3l_88
Dubai chat master
Posts: 957
Location: dubai...DUH!

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
Francheska wrote:Maybe even earlier, let's say in the early seventies.
If you check the details on the bigger image neither Jumeirah houses are exsistent nor the villas behind the Trade Center on the smaller pictures


World Trade Centre Building was completed in 1978 and it looks like the photoes are taken frome there. The Apartments came a couple of years later so I think 1982 looks a reasonable bet.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 16372
Location: Dubai and beyond

  • Reply
Posted Jan 17, 2007
In both cases it's a speculation in promotion atempt (promoting the fast development of Dubai) :evil:
Francheska
Dubai Forums Frequenter
Posts: 114

  • Reply
Posted Jan 18, 2007
I still think up till late 90s most of the towers on SZR did not exist.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot
User avatar
Posts: 3404

  • Reply
Posted Jan 18, 2007
The Crown Plaza opened in the first quarter of 1994, but there are already between 10 to 20 buildings from the same side of the road, not so deserted as in the picture.
Francheska
Dubai Forums Frequenter
Posts: 114

  • Reply
Posted Jan 18, 2007
God bless the U.A.E
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot
Posts: 3229
Location: moskBa, Dubai

  • Reply
Posted Jan 18, 2007
its funny to see how safa park was in the middle of nowhere .. i remember when we where kids it was a very exciting park to go to ..
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot
User avatar
Posts: 3404

  • Reply
Posted Jan 18, 2007
MaaaD wrote:I still think up till late 90s most of the towers on SZR did not exist.


Are you kidding?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU
User avatar
Posts: 2285
Location: Dubai

  • Reply
Posted Jan 18, 2007
sage & onion wrote:Not so much of that in Dubai Deniz, Dubai is about Trade & Business and the courage to go forward with your vision.


LOL!

Without oil Dubai would still be a fisher- and pearl-diver-village :)
Of course there is courage and vision now, but the source of all that wealth is oil and maybe also gas.
bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast
Posts: 86
Location: far away

  • Reply
Posted Jan 18, 2007
bschmidt wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Not so much of that in Dubai Deniz, Dubai is about Trade & Business and the courage to go forward with your vision.


LOL!

Without oil Dubai would still be a fisher- and pearl-diver-village :)
Of course there is courage and vision now, but the source of all that wealth is oil and maybe also gas.


Can you tell me where the Oil is in Dubai?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 16372
Location: Dubai and beyond

  • Reply
Posted Jan 19, 2007
bschmidt wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Not so much of that in Dubai Deniz, Dubai is about Trade & Business and the courage to go forward with your vision.


LOL!

Without oil Dubai would still be a fisher- and pearl-diver-village :)
Of course there is courage and vision now, but the source of all that wealth is oil and maybe also gas.


O rly? i though the source of wealth was to stare at the sky for hours lol
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot
Posts: 3229
Location: moskBa, Dubai

  • Reply
Posted Jan 19, 2007
bschmidt wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Not so much of that in Dubai Deniz, Dubai is about Trade & Business and the courage to go forward with your vision.


LOL!

Without oil Dubai would still be a fisher- and pearl-diver-village :)
Of course there is courage and vision now, but the source of all that wealth is oil and maybe also gas.



moron
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot
User avatar
Posts: 4882
Location: dar el 7ay

  • Reply
Posted Jan 19, 2007
To second Sge&... and regarding:
"Without oil Dubai would still be a fisher- and pearl-diver-village
Of course there is courage and vision now, but the source of all that wealth is oil and maybe also gas.''

Dubai has never had much oil, but in the last 15 years the income of it is around 10 to 15% from the budget , if not less
In my opinion the main force behind the growth is the ADVERTISING
Francheska
Dubai Forums Frequenter
Posts: 114

  • Reply
Posted Jan 19, 2007
Francheska wrote:To second Sge&... and regarding:
"Without oil Dubai would still be a fisher- and pearl-diver-village
Of course there is courage and vision now, but the source of all that wealth is oil and maybe also gas.''

Dubai has never had much oil, but in the last 15 years the income of it is around 10 to 15% from the budget , if not less
In my opinion the main force behind the growth is the ADVERTISING


I think you will find the figures are less. Trading has been Dubai's main income for decades and now we have the property boom, but trading is still the major player. Simple Import / Export trading. Advertising has come to the front last couple of years, but it is domestic advertising.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 16372
Location: Dubai and beyond

  • Reply
Posted Jan 19, 2007
bushra21 wrote:moron


:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm really feeling sorry for you and for your lack of education.
Is that the reason why insulting people is your way of discussing?
bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast
Posts: 86
Location: far away

  • Reply
Posted Jan 19, 2007
sage & onion wrote:Can you tell me where the Oil is in Dubai?



Underneath earth's surface maybe?


Since the discovery of oil in the UAE more than 30 years ago, the UAE has undergone a profound transformation from an impoverished region of small desert principalities to a modern state with a high standard of living.


Dubai: In the 1960's, with the discovery of oil, money started to pour in and Dubai's prominence and prosperity increased.


But aware of the risks of oil-dependency, Dubai actively promoted new industrial ventures.


Source: http://www.mubadala.ae/en/content/about_uae.asp

I said northing else than the things quoted above, so I really don't see the reason for insulting me.
bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast
Posts: 86
Location: far away

  • Reply
Posted Jan 19, 2007
Maybe I didn't express my self properly.
Advertisement (worldwide) and promotions are behind the worldwide popularity of Dubai in the last 10-12 years. The Government strategy is to attract foreign investments: DSF, FZs, Freehold etc.
Remember the Dubai Ports deal and all the noise around it??
Or the Trafalgar Squaere?
Or Burj Al Arab and now Burj Dubai??
The Palms?
....big subject...
Francheska
Dubai Forums Frequenter
Posts: 114

  • Reply
Posted Jan 19, 2007
bschmidt wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Can you tell me where the Oil is in Dubai?



Underneath earth's surface maybe?


Since the discovery of oil in the UAE more than 30 years ago, the UAE has undergone a profound transformation from an impoverished region of small desert principalities to a modern state with a high standard of living.


Dubai: In the 1960's, with the discovery of oil, money started to pour in and Dubai's prominence and prosperity increased.


But aware of the risks of oil-dependency, Dubai actively promoted new industrial ventures.


Source: http://www.mubadala.ae/en/content/about_uae.asp

I said northing else than the things quoted above, so I really don't see the reason for insulting me.


Firstly, I didn't insult you, please check the thread.

Secondly, it is a well known fact that Dubai has very little Oil, the majority of the UAE's oil wealth is in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 16372
Location: Dubai and beyond

  • Reply
Posted Jan 19, 2007
^ i think the oil is about 85% from AD...the rest is shared btw DXB and SHJ
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot
User avatar
Posts: 4882
Location: dar el 7ay

  • Reply
Posted Jan 19, 2007
sage & onion wrote:Firstly, I didn't insult you, please check the thread.


Yup... sorry.. I know it wasn't you...


Secondly, it is a well known fact that Dubai has very little Oil, the majority of the UAE's oil wealth is in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.


Yup... that IS a well known fact.
What I wanted to express, is that oil was the stuff that got everything started, and not only in Abu Dhabi. I really doubt that Dubai would look like it does today if there wasn't any oil.
I think oil was the starter for everything.. and the money which was earnt was spent wisely to build up an economy which is not dependent on oil.
bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast
Posts: 86
Location: far away

  • Reply
Posted Jan 19, 2007
bschmidt wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Firstly, I didn't insult you, please check the thread.


Yup... sorry.. I know it wasn't you...


Secondly, it is a well known fact that Dubai has very little Oil, the majority of the UAE's oil wealth is in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.


Yup... that IS a well known fact.
What I wanted to express, is that oil was the stuff that got everything started, and not only in Abu Dhabi. I really doubt that Dubai would look like it does today if there wasn't any oil.
I think oil was the starter for everything.. and the money which was earnt was spent wisely to build up an economy which is not dependent on oil.


Considering that Dubai has 100's of years experience in trading I disagree, you may also not be aware that they have one of the largest Dry Docking facilities in the world, operational since 1978. And one of the largest Aluminium Smelters (Soon to be the largest) in the world. Jebel Ali Port sees an incredible amount of cargo in and out of the Emirate.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 16372
Location: Dubai and beyond

  • Reply
Posted Jan 19, 2007
Check out the 'UAE Handbook', available in any bookstore. Published annually by the Governement and includes all information about where and what the main income of the UAE is.

Abu Dhabi and Ras Al Khiamah are actually the only 2 Emirates to actively drill for and refine oil. Dubai has a limited amount of gas, as does Sharjah and Ajman, but the wealth is distributed evenly between the Emirates, which is why the country is an alliance of families.

When the UAE was founded in 1971, having been previously a British protectorate called the Trucial States, HE Sheikh Zayed pulled together the various tribes and offered them the chance to form an alliance and thereby a stronger bargaining position on the international market. Initially, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah and Umm Al Quwain were the only members, however Ajman, Ras Al Khaimah (due to the family links with Sharjah) and Fujeirah joined in 1972. Some other families decided to ally themselves with Sultan Qaboos of Oman, hence the reason there are small pockets of Omani territory within the UAE such as Masafi, Buraimi and the Mussandam Peninisula.

To state that Dubai has built its wealth on oil alone is a flasehood. Yes, there is oil investment in Dubai from the Al Nayhan family in Abu Dhabi, but the majority of the wealth was and is from trading as S&O correctly points out. Today, the largest investment income is in real estate and tourism.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts
User avatar
Posts: 5538
Location: Dubai

  • Reply
Posted Jan 20, 2007
But before the recent boom of few years and before 1994, Dubai was unknown name worldwide. Nothing remarkable was here to comment - town as every other one with ordinary business activities. :(
Francheska
Dubai Forums Frequenter
Posts: 114

  • Reply
Posted Jan 22, 2007
sage & onion wrote:
Galactico wrote:thats a massive difference :shock: :shock:


It is, however I think they got the date wrong, I think early 80's is more like.

Yup, I remember that at least one or two of the interchanges were already built by 1992 and there were more buildings, so yeah, the date is wrong... But still, a massive change in about 20 or so years!!
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper
User avatar
Posts: 426
Location: Dubai

  • Reply
Posted Jan 22, 2007
Francheska wrote:But before the recent boom of few years and before 1994, Dubai was unknown name worldwide. Nothing remarkable was here to comment - town as every other one with ordinary business activities. :(

the good old days when we could really go out instead of being trapped in our houses fearing to b stuck in traffic :?
mema
Dubai forums Addict
Posts: 322
Location: Dubai

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules
1 Dubai Jobs .com The First Place to Find a Job in Dubai

Return to Dubai General Chat