How To Get Rental Deposit Back?

Topic locked
How to get Rental Deposit back? Mar 18, 2009
How do you get the deposit back (5k AED) when the landlord tells you flatout and directly into your face that this money is gone with the Estate Agent who made a runner (Opera) and that this is not his responsibility?

- Can't go to RERA, since Estate Agent is gone already
- Do I go to the Police?
- Or do I just get a hammer and use it before moving out, knowing I don't get my money back anyway, but leaving him a 5k present?

...any suggestions are welcome.

Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: How to get Rental Deposit back? Mar 18, 2009
Habibi wrote:How do you get the deposit back (5k AED) when the landlord tells you flatout and directly into your face that this money is gone with the Estate Agent who made a runner (Opera) and that this is not his responsibility?

- Do I go to the Police?
- Or do I just get a hammer and use it before moving out, knowing I don't get my money back anyway, but leaving him a 5k present?

The deposit goes to the Landlord not the agent, you should have a receipt. If the landlord refuses to refund threaten him with the Police, if that doesn't work by all means give it a try with the Police. Do not cause any damage to the property, that will only serve to get you into trouble.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: How to get Rental Deposit back? Mar 18, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
Habibi wrote:How do you get the deposit back (5k AED) when the landlord tells you flatout and directly into your face that this money is gone with the Estate Agent who made a runner (Opera) and that this is not his responsibility?

- Do I go to the Police?

The deposit goes to the Landlord not the agent, you should have a receipt. If the landlord refuses to refund threaten him with the Police, if that doesn't work by all means give it a try with the Police. Do not cause any damage to the property, that will only serve to get you into trouble.

Thanks, looks like sound advice from you!

I do have a receipt, but from the agent, same as the recipient of the cheque itself, unfortunately. Let's see, I'm going to push him first with the Police ...
Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 18, 2009
How about going after the receipts from the real estate company, because they must have turned the 5,000 deposit over to the landlord, so they should have one. (Hopefully the agent didn't do a runner with all of his/her records.) That would prove to police that the landlord received the money from the agent.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 18, 2009
kanelli wrote:How about going after the receipts from the real estate company, because they must have turned the 5,000 deposit over to the landlord, so they should have one. (Hopefully the agent didn't do a runner with all of his/her records.) That would prove to police that the landlord received the money from thY agent.

Yes, sorry, I did say Estate Agent, but actually meant the complete company ... dust in the wind.
Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 18, 2009
Habibi wrote:
kanelli wrote:How about going after the receipts from the real estate company, because they must have turned the 5,000 deposit over to the landlord, so they should have one. (Hopefully the agent didn't do a runner with all of his/her records.) That would prove to police that the landlord received the money from thY agent.

Yes, sorry, I did say Estate Agent, but actually meant the complete company ... dust in the wind.

The Police seems to be your best option then.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 17, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
Habibi wrote:

Just as an update guys!

Thanks Sage for your advise, after threatening with the Police, the landlord turned around and was finally willing to pay back the deposit.

In addition, right out of the blue a guy from OPERA Real Estate called and told us they are closing officially within a month or two and they are now handing over the properties/contracts back to the Landlords...

He told me their GM made a runner with ... 165mill. AED...don't know it that's true, but that's what the guy from Opera told me.
Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 17, 2009
Habibi wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
Habibi wrote:

Just as an update guys!

Thanks Sage for your advise, after threatening with the Police, the landlord turned around and was finally willing to pay back the deposit.

In addition, right out of the blue a guy from OPERA Real Estate called and told us they are closing officially within a month or two and they are now handing over the properties/contracts back to the Landlords...

He told me their GM made a runner with ... 165mill. AED...don't know it that's true, but that's what the guy from Opera told me.

if I were you, with the money back or not, I'd make sure the police knows about this company. pretty sure you are not the only one who was about to be cut short with some money and maybe other people haven't had the guts to threaten with the police
raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 17, 2009
raidah wrote:
Habibi wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
Habibi wrote:

Just as an update guys!

if I were you, with the money back or not, I'd make sure the police knows about this company. pretty sure you are not the only one who was about to be cut short with some money and maybe other people haven't had the guts to threaten with the police

If Habibi has no issues with the Real Estate Company then he should stay out of it, his only issue was to get his deposit back from the Landlord. If the Company Opera has gone bankrupt the Police will already know and Habibi should not get involved.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 19, 2009
Contact Lawyer
halcon
Dubai Forum User

Apr 19, 2009
Was in the same situation with the same Co and got everything back from them after kicking ass big time... 8)
M!
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat