Has Anyone Tried 'Safe Driver'?

Topic locked
Has anyone tried 'Safe Driver'? Apr 09, 2009
The company that takes you home in your own car after a night out.
I called them but thought Dhs 120 was a bit steep - so I took the risk instead.

Dhs 50 would be more reasonable.

Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 09, 2009
120 AED!!!!!!!! to drive you home in your OWN car!!!!!!

another scam to take advantage of drunk people in Dubai :P

Its better to leave your car and get a taxi instead... thats how my friends do it
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Apr 09, 2009
OMG listen to you guys!

Del, you're an idiot for taking the risk, considering if you get caught drink driving it's 4 years in prison!!!!! Not to mention, if you hit and ijure/kill someone.

I've used them, they're very good!

And work out the cost of leaving your car, getting a taxi home, then having to get another taxi to go and pick it up again, probably works out the same. The reason it costs this much, is because two people rock up, one drives your car with you in it, and the other follows to take the driver onto the next customer. Elsewhere they use little scooters, that can be folded up and put in the boot, but this isn't available here.

Never take the risk! Or don't drive in the first place!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 09, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:OMG listen to you guys!

Del, you're an idiot for taking the risk, considering if you get caught drink driving it's 4 years in prison!!!!! Not to mention, if you hit and ijure/kill someone.

And work out the cost of leaving your car, getting a taxi home, then having to get another taxi to go and pick it up again, probably works out the same. The reason it costs this much, is because two people rock up, one drives your car with you in it, and the other follows to take the driver onto the next customer. Elsewhere they use little scooters, that can be folded up and put in the boot, but this isn't available here.

Amen Chocs.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 09, 2009
Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I had a friend who was killed by a drunk dirver, so I won't tolerate it! And people who do it, are idiots of the biggest kind!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 09, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:OMG listen to you guys!

Tell you what, the police were stopping cars one night and I just drove past, pretending I didn't see them waving. I wasn't drunk.

But I had a pretty paranoid 20-minute drive home, thinking of the consequences.

Since then, I've been to the same bar, drank two or three pints of SEVEN UP and drove away, almost hoping the same police are up the road waiting for me!
('Ah here he comes, that guy who never stopped - we'll get him now...')

You're right - NO MORE!
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 09, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I had a friend who was killed by a drunk dirver, so I won't tolerate it! And people who do it, are idiots of the biggest kind!

How many FRIENDS do you have girl????
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 09, 2009
Lots! Why? You feeling like Billy no-mates?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Has anyone tried 'Safe Driver'? Apr 09, 2009
Del wrote:The company that takes you home in your own car after a night out.

can u gimme the name of the company pls. 'Safe Driver' itself ?!! i really like the service they do by taking benefit out of idiots in dubai.

phone number as well pls. if u have them. tx.
gafoorgk
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 09, 2009
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 09, 2009
I haven't used them personally but a friend of mine did and he was pleased with the service. I didn't realize it cost that much though. Still, I hear their quality of service is great.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 09, 2009
i drive and normally i drink only 1 glass (or max 2) for the entire night (just a beer or a breezer, never liquor or shot). i never get drunk (or even get dizzy) and never will (i have a very strong self-control). will it be a problem too if i get stopped by the police randomly and asked for a breath test (if any)? is there any tolerance? if there's still evidence, how many hours normally for the alcohol to "evaporate" from the mouth/breath?
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I had a friend who was killed by a drunk dirver, so I won't tolerate it! And people who do it, are idiots of the biggest kind!

How many FRIENDS do you have girl????

She has just two friends, who keep doing different things.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 10, 2009
If you are too drunk and need to sleep, can you sleep in the back seats of your car till the morning to sober up. Cause that's how it is here in Canada.
Ruskie
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 10, 2009
Well, with how some taxi drivers might start to rip off their customers by threatening to call police if they have been drinking and won't pay the driver blackmail money (as seen in thread "taxi shakedown"), then this service sounds like the way to go!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 10, 2009
Cab would be cheaper wouldn't it?
Also how does the driver get around once they get to your place?

:S
Sayf Udeen
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Apr 10, 2009
Don't you read!!!! There's two of them, one drives your car, the other follows behind in another or on a bike!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 10, 2009
xty wrote:i drive and normally i drink only 1 glass (or max 2) for the entire night (just a beer or a breezer, never liquor or shot). i never get drunk (or even get dizzy) and never will (i have a very strong self-control). will it be a problem too if i get stopped by the police randomly and asked for a breath test (if any)? is there any tolerance? if there's still evidence, how many hours normally for the alcohol to "evaporate" from the mouth/breath?

Not good enough! There is ZERO tolerance! For every unit of alcohol you consume, it takes 2 hours for it to workj it's way through the body, so your 2 glasses of wine, four to five hours at least!!!! You could have been drinking out the night before, feel sober and still register as having consumed alcohol as much as 12 hours later the next day.

The only safe thing if you are driving is not to drink at all - end of!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 10, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:
xty wrote:i drive and normally i drink only 1 glass (or max 2) for the entire night (just a beer or a breezer, never liquor or shot). i never get drunk (or even get dizzy) and never will (i have a very strong self-control). will it be a problem too if i get stopped by the police randomly and asked for a breath test (if any)? is there any tolerance? if there's still evidence, how many hours normally for the alcohol to "evaporate" from the mouth/breath?

Not good enough! There is ZERO tolerance! For every unit of alcohol you consume, it takes 2 hours for it to workj it's way through the body, so your 2 glasses of wine, four to five hours at least!!!! You could have been drinking out the night before, feel sober and still register as having consumed alcohol as much as 12 hours later the next day.

The only safe thing if you are driving is not to drink at all - end of!

Safe in a legal sense, yes. But there's hardly any difference in one's driving ability from 0.00 to 0.01 BAC. You could end up blowing a 0.01 if you had made out with a drunk chick. That drunk chick could have been your wife. Furthermore, many studies have shown that driving while sleepy or while talking on your mobile (whether hands-free or not) is just as bad as DUI.

Zero alcohol tolerance is a stupid policy. Especially since (as with most laws in the UAE) it's not uniformly enforced.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 13, 2009
zero tolerance is a very good policy and more countries should adopt the same.
i do however agree, that if zero tolerance then the punishment should happen all the time without fail no matter who you are or how much you have, or havent had as the case may be.
the roads here are dangerous enough without having drunk drivers on them!
i have used safe driver several times,a great idea! they may be a little over priced (but not much more overpriced than the vodka and coke you drink in barasti without batting an eyelid!?!) but it means i dont have to worry about collecting my car the next day and it means that im not on the road attempting to driving home and a danger to myself or anyone else!
moneyexpert
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Apr 13, 2009
120 does not sound too bad as getting caught by police or worst...hitting someone, I have an uncle who can drink a lot and it never affected his senses, He tells me that ones he just had HALF A BEER and as he was taking his car out of the parking someone him from the back and My uncle was charged of drinking driving, go figure that out lol

Taxi is never a good options, your state could be an advantage for you, can steal your stuff and blackmail etc...

I believe more services should be introduced to public, that will definitely lead to more competition and lesser rates in future.
Jasninder
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Has anyone tried 'Safe Driver'? Apr 13, 2009
gafoorgk wrote:
Del wrote:The company that takes you home in your own car after a night out.

can u gimme the name of the company pls. 'Safe Driver' itself ?!! i really like the service they do by taking benefit out of idiots in dubai.

phone number as well pls. if u have them. tx.

04 268 8797
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 13, 2009
Well unfortunately there difference might not be much, but zero tolernace is the law in the UAE, so you will just have to abide by that won't you. Sure people get away with things here and there, happens all the time anywhere. However, you won't be so cocky about it when you get pulled and banged up for a while will you.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 13, 2009
moneyexpert wrote: not much more overpriced than the vodka and coke you drink in barasti without batting an eyelid!?!

You drink vodka and coke? Try redbull....
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 13, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:
moneyexpert wrote: not much more overpriced than the vodka and coke you drink in barasti without batting an eyelid!?!

With or without the Vodka?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 13, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

With the Vodka offcourse.....Y how do you prefer your vodka?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 14, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

With the Vodka offcourse.....Y how do you prefer your vodka?

Never drink the stuff, I was just wondering about the mix that you described, sounds like a powerful combo.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 14, 2009
It helps one from passing out, allowing more time to make a fool of themself.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 14, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:It helps one from passing out, allowing more time to make a fool of themself.

Really?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 14, 2009
That's what I observe.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat